Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Good pod today on the gaa...whole season has been upended, I agree with Oisín it gives the other counties a chance, Dublin machinery won’t be as well oiled as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Am I the only one that thinks Mick's commentating is very nice to the players and Kenny? He doesn't criticise anybody and has some very nice words to say about a lot of the players

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Am I the only one that thinks Mick's commentating is very nice to the players and Kenny? He doesn't criticise anybody and has some very nice words to say about a lot of the players

Disagree completely. It's extremely passive aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Renegadema

Mick and his bad juju.

We’re going to have to get a witch doctor in to remove the Mick curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Classless and reminiscent of Revie v. Clough

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

This is the tweet on the Dunphy story mentioned today, very funny. He also shared a couple of scathing articles on Brady that Dunphy also wrote

https://twitter.com/KevinBrannigans/status/1316366581937696768

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Renegadema

Classless and reminiscent of Revie v. Clough

Or Judas vs Jesus even

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

If we go to level 5, is there any chance of the Isolating pod coming back?

Best thing about last lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If we go to level 5, is there any chance of the Isolating pod coming back?

Best thing about last lockdown.

I really miss the isolating podcast...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Surprised Murph did'nt mention the boxing in the weekend what's on tv roundup. Lomachenko vs Lopez in the wee hours tomorrow should be a barnstormer. On paper one of the best boxing fights we have had in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is questioning Mick's prior efforts or achievements with Ireland. Just questioning why he of all people is the one providing analysis on Sky. It's a bit greasy, come on. Did he really need that pay day that badly. Critiquing the efforts of your successor in the job - it appears to lack class from where I'm sitting.

Guardian Football Weekly podcast we're saying the exact same thing. Well, 3 out of 4 were

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Big Second Captain/Off The Ball combo on Premiere Sports on Saturday evening

Acosta wrote: »
    Big Second Captain/Off The Ball combo on Premiere Sports on Saturday evening

What's that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I see Bamford's got his barnet trimmed. Maybe Ken's 'cad/bounder' jibes hit home.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's that then?

Eoin presenting with Nathan Murphy on commentary. Kenny Cunningham and Brian Kerr also involved. It would be great if they got Ken in as a pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

Really weird today, Migs commenting about Bale then Eoin just giving a quick laugh and then on to another question to Johnathon. Thought it was a bit jarring when Migs was actually making a good point. Hehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Raoul wrote: »
    Really weird today, Migs commenting about Bale then Eoin just giving a quick laugh and then on to another question to Johnathon. Thought it was a bit jarring when Migs was actually making a good point. Hehehehe

Funny, I was listening to that this morning and though the exact same thing. Wonder if mark cut some out?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Andy Moran - top guy!
    Hopefully becomes a regular GAA contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

From Monday's pod and the idea that no crowds make it easier for comebacks, I'm sure that the idea last season was that the lack of crowd made it hard for a team that is 2-0 down for example to rouse themselves for a comeback with no crowd to spur them on.

Sports analysis really is a results based thing isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Nokotan wrote: »
    From Monday's pod and the idea that no crowds make it easier for comebacks, I'm sure that the idea last season was that the lack of crowd made it hard for a team that is 2-0 down for example to rouse themselves for a comeback with no crowd to spur them on.

Sports analysis really is a results based thing isn't it?

Maybe now they've grown used to the lack of noise and instead of focusing on how quiet it is they can focus on their gameplan or whatever and get back into the game

Would be interesting to see what would happen if they suddenly started to play in full stadiums again (obviously won't happen), would the players be so roiled up that they go flying into tackles and run like mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

RedRochey wrote: »
    Maybe now they've grown used to the lack of noise and instead of focusing on how quiet it is they can focus on their gameplan or whatever and get back into the game

Would be interesting to see what would happen if they suddenly started to play in full stadiums again (obviously won't happen), would the players be so roiled up that they go flying into tackles and run like mad

Didn't stop Everton players on Saturday!

There were nearly 15,000 at Dynamo Kiev vs Juve last night so around Europe there's a re-introduction of fans at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Didn't ken go on a big shawshank redemption analogy a week or so ago? Makes sense now that today's pod was with tim robbins

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jesus didn't realise Ken was so sensitive to a few tackles..

His take on the derby was a funny one..

Violence? Assault? Is he a Liverpool fan?

He's fully joining in with all the Twitter cryarsing since the weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Might be for the best if TRANQUILLO avoids today's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

In order to keep things fair and balanced, I hope/expect that Ken will be interviewing a right wing Hollywood star next week. Maybe a Jon Voight or a James Woods would be a good choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭jones

From the off the ball days I think Ken is a Liverpool fan (not that he mentions it on second captains) but I didn't think he went any more overboard than he normally does. Love a good Ken rant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Have to say Mondays pod was one of my favourites, really really enjoyable and the lads were in flying form. Always better when the three are on together.

Usually not into the GAA pod but was decent. The Tim Robbins one was just a bit random, haven't finished it yet. But first 40 mins seemed to be Ken waxing on about a 90s film Robbins made. Was somewhat interesting though

I think for the first time ever I nearly got fed up with Ken's snarkyness about absolutely every party in every football story yesterday.

Has he been hanging out with Dion Fanning or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

lawred2 wrote: »
    Jesus didn't realise Ken was so sensitive to a few tackles..

His take on the derby was a funny one..

Violence? Assault? Is he a Liverpool fan?

He's fully joining in with all the Twitter cryarsing since the weekend anyway.
    Yes he is a Liverpool fan! It's been common knowledge for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Beersmith wrote: »
    Yes he is a Liverpool fan! It's been common knowledge for years

He hides it well, there's no smoking gun proof (lol). But if you think about it, his age would make it more likely than not that he's a Liverpool fan.

And I remember him saying he was at the 2005 champions league final. I don't think he was at OTB by then or was an established journalist with his employer willing to pay his way (I'm open to correction) so most likely he went as a fan.

Advertisement