Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Knew it!!! I'm in Waterford and was keeping an eye on the skies as I'm working outside. Checked the met site and it lies, it lies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Is it back up ? Assume ye saw message about it on the met.ie site? So basically if the radar is down, then even if the met site says its meant to be dry for the next few days, thats a load of hogwash?

seefin wrote: »
    Is it back up ? Assume ye saw message about it on the met.ie site? So basically if the radar is down, then even if the met site says its meant to be dry for the next few days, thats a load of hogwash?

Hmmmph obviously still down. Was just about to sit out for an hour all wrapped up and it started to lash . Goddam ye met eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I hear this new radar solution is to be installed in Shannon soon:

7c5b03f3e60f6a0ff53f318f7aec84c1_preview_featured.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Looks like milk chocolate, same as the present one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

7c5b03f3e60f6a0ff53f318f7aec84c1_preview_featured.jpg

Nice chocolate product for the the duty free shop located rightly underneath the actual rainfall radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Comhra wrote: »
    Looks like milk chocolate, same as the present one.

So that's why it always breaks when it rains!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

How many Shannon radar engineers does it take to change a light bulb ?

Punchlines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    How many Shannon radar engineers does it take to change a light bulb ?

Punchlines ?

Well first they have to send for a new bulb from Germany...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Dual-polarisation Weather Radar at Shannon Airport

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/176189/0/0?returnUrl=&b=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Looking at the radar images last night I was surprised at how different the echoes north of Dublin were when Castor Bay (Belfast) was out of action. Dublin's accuracy seems limited even in the absence of nearby mountains (unlike to the south). Images at 00:10 h and 00:15 h. Hopefully they will avail of the tender option to get a dual polarization radar system in Dublin as well as Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not seeing what you're seeing there.

I wouldn't think it reasonable to expect too much from Dublin radar beyond about Dundalk.

It didn't pick up as much rain in NI because of the curvature of the earth! Think it did very well in Down/Armagh considering.

Life ain't always empty.

If you look at the echoes around Newry (roughly 100 km from Dublin) they are much stronger in the image with the NI radar. My understanding is that the effective range of C band radar (corrected for curvature of Earth) is around 120km but perhaps this correction option is only available for newer radar systems. (Obviously the non quantitative range is further, being about 250 km). We are about 100 km SE of Shannon (with mountains in between) so unless the new radar system has the correction feature we will still get poor coverage. As has been mentioned previously we could do with at least one more radar installation in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We could do with several more tbh.

Due to the curvature of the earth, the minimum altitude of rain the radar can detect increases with distance. So it's no surprise the Belfast radar picked up more rain in Armagh than the Dublin one.

Life ain't always empty.

No indication that radar was down today . How come Met eireann site in hourly summary showed cork city being dry and cloudy all day, yet it's been mostly lashing since morning. Is the rainfall radar inaccurate ? Can't understand how they cant forecast for the present day- can someone explain?

No indication that radar was down today . How come Met eireann site in hourly summary showed cork city being dry and cloudy all day, yet it's been mostly lashing since morning. Is the rainfall radar inaccurate ? Can't understand how they cant forecast for the present day- can someone explain?

There have been weak & patchy radar echoes in the Cork area for much of the day. In my experience (similar distance to Cork from Shannon in west Waterford) the radar echoes are not reliable in light rain associated with low cloud. I think we could do with a radar installation in the south, perhaps Cork airport.

ecowise wrote: »
    There have been weak & patchy radar echoes in the Cork area for much of the day. In my experience (similar distance to Cork from Shannon in west Waterford) the radar echoes are not reliable in light rain associated with low cloud. I think we could do with a radar installation in the south, perhaps Cork airport.

The rain was pretty heavy here though. I don't know why i even bother each morning checking for the day ahead. Where else has rainfall radar installed apart from Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The hourly summary is a computer generated model, generated only a few times everyday, and doesn't really seem to take the radar into account whatsoever.

Radar has nothing to do with it, hence it being on or offline makes no difference to it.

Met Eireanns hourly summaries are so ridiculously inaccurate I don't even look at them except for a rough idea as to whether it will rain for hours or expected wind direction.

Where else has rainfall radar installed apart from Shannon?

There are three rainfall radars on the island of Ireland, Shannon, Dublin (at airports) and Castor Bay (at a meteorological station by the SE corner of Lough Neagh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

There are three rainfall radars on the island of Ireland, Shannon, Dublin (at airports) and Castor Bay (at a meteorological station by the SE corner of Lough Neagh).

Just to add to that, the one at Castor Bay one is part of the Met Office's infrastructure in the UK. Met Eireann only get a feed from it.

The Met Eireann radars in Shannon and Dublin are much older.

• Advertisement

arccosh wrote: »
    Met Eireann only get a feed from it.

I presume data is shared through the OPERA network but perhaps there is also direct sharing between the UK & Irish Met Offices. Hopefully Brexit will not affect matters.

"The Operational Program on the Exchange of Weather Radar Information (OPERA) has co-ordinated radar co-operation among national weather services in Europe for more than 20 years. It has introduced its own, manufacturer-independent data model, runs its own data center, and produces Pan-European radar composites."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333741080_OPERA_the_Radar_Project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I presume data is shared through the OPERA network but perhaps there is also direct sharing between the UK & Irish Met Offices. Hopefully Brexit will not affect matters.

"The Operational Program on the Exchange of Weather Radar Information (OPERA) has co-ordinated radar co-operation among national weather services in Europe for more than 20 years. It has introduced its own, manufacturer-independent data model, runs its own data center, and produces Pan-European radar composites."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333741080_OPERA_the_Radar_Project

I'd imagine there is a feed to it alright. There are non EU countires that feed into the project, so I imagine Brexit will have little impact. But as a general share between UK and IE, all you need is an IP connection for that, which unless the UK want to monetise it, I doubt would be effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Down again, yay! On a day you really need it to get an outdoors window

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

sumtings wrote: »

It's raining, tis to be expected these days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's not down in the usual sense but it's certainly acting strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Discodog wrote: »
    It's not down in the usual sense but it's certainly acting strange.

From an end user point of view it's not great

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

From an end user point of view it's not great

Back now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Is it just me, or does the radar seem to go down when there’s particularly rainy weather? Wonder what causes this?

arccosh wrote: »
    I'd imagine there is a feed to it alright. There are non EU countires that feed into the project, so I imagine Brexit will have little impact. But as a general share between UK and IE, all you need is an IP connection for that, which unless the UK want to monetise it, I doubt would be effected.

Good point about non EU countries already being involved in OPERA so hopefully UK involvement will continue. I wonder if ME have the software to create a composite image using NI data or are they entirely dependent on OPERA to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SeedySam22

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does the radar seem to go down when there’s particularly rainy weather? Wonder what causes this?

No - It's just raining all the time

Advertisement