Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsion

• 22-02-2020 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

EPS

Compulsion (1992)
    Casserole (1993)
    Safety (1993)
    Boogie Woogie (1994)

Any idea if these are online to stream anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GerPen2015

EPS

Compulsion (1992)
    Casserole (1993)
    Safety (1993)
    Boogie Woogie (1994)

Any idea if these are online to stream anywhere?

Hi I just had a look on spotify and they have some compulsion on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

GerPen2015 wrote: »
    Hi I just had a look on spotify and they have some compulsion on there

Thanks ..I actually found Safety and some others on youtube in the meantime,blown away by the quality of the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanks ..I actually found Safety and some others on youtube in the meantime,blown away by the quality of the tracks.

Was this jacknife Lee's band?

sweetie wrote: »
    Was this jacknife Lee's band?

Josephmary and sid rainey are the names I would mostly associate with the band and the drummer weird name but yes I see jacknife lee was a member I don't know his music though.

Garret Lee becoming the electronic artist Jacknife Lee

Now I get it , knew there was no one called Jacknife lee in compulsion but Garret Lee of course ...

• Advertisement

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. They were a great band. I absolutely love 'Comforter'.

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. They were a great band. I absolutely love 'Comforter'.

Certainly a cut above the rest lucky to have heard that album in the 90's and tbh sounds even better today and those EP's but sure not like they are gonna reform? or even jacknife lee has he any good stuff? Is Josephmary still alive? If I had to choose whipping boy heartworm and compulsion comforter?? and the future is medium had some quality tracks .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBa7_AHz3Us

Certainly a cut above the rest lucky to have heard that album in the 90's and tbh sounds even better today and those EP's but sure not like they are gonna reform? or even jacknife lee has he any good stuff? Is Josephmary still alive? If I had to choose whipping boy heartworm and compulsion comforter?? and the future is medium had some quality tracks .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBa7_AHz3Us

I doubt they'll reform, it'd be a small crowd who remembers them. I doubt old Jacknife would be involved as he's a successful producer these days (Snow Patrol, U2, Two Door Cinema Club). I only really know his electronic stuff from the odd by-the-book remix.

The image change for 'The Future Is Medium' (and the 'Juvenile Scene Detective' single) put me right off them at the time, but that album has some good stuff on it.

It's hard to beat 'Heartworm', if I was forced to choose :D

I doubt they'll reform, it'd be a small crowd who remembers them. I doubt old Jacknife would be involved as he's a successful producer these days (Snow Patrol, U2, Two Door Cinema Club). I only really know his electronic stuff from the odd by-the-book remix.

The image change for 'The Future Is Medium' (and the 'Juvenile Scene Detective' single) put me right off them at the time, but that album has some good stuff on it.

This for sure and yes there were some good tracks but I didn't appreciate it back in the day.

• Advertisement

it was a disastrous album for them ..apart from that best song?

with a ventilator :pac:

Josephmary and sid rainey are the names I would mostly associate with the band and the drummer weird name but yes I see jacknife lee was a member I don't know his music though.

I know his music now, very impressed will have to check out the album.
    Recently created video adds to what is a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJq1e1Xuvms

A bit off topic but if anyone is interested Garret's brother Derek Lee was the bass player for Sack. For my money "You are what you eat" is comfortably up there with Heartworm, The Golden Horde, Comforter, etc as one of the best Irish albums of the 90's or any other decade.

A bit off topic but if anyone is interested Garret's brother Derek Lee was the bass player for Sack. For my money "You are what you eat" is comfortably up there with Heartworm, The Golden Horde, Comforter, etc as one of the best Irish albums of the 90's or any other decade.

I know sack they don't rate hugely with me ..average not attacking you but they never impacted much GH pop music

Jesus you make them sound like Coldplay! :eek::D

Agree to disagree, but maybe that's really for another thread. TBH yeah, I could take or leave a lot of their later stuff. I'd stand by that first album though.

Without knowing you personally I don't know what your memories are of Ireland late 80's to early 90's, mine are bleak (not so much that I didn't enjoy myself mind!). All I know is that absolutely no one I'm aware of had the balls to do stuff like "Colorado Springs" in Official Catholic Ireland.

Considering it was four straight musicians playing it behind one gay vocalist, younger folk might think it a bit twee today but in 1993 on a personal level it changed things for me and a lot of others in ways no Irish band had ever done up until then. Maybe even since come to think of it.

But fair enough, horses for courses and all that, I guess it just depends on what clicks with you and what clicks with me.

Agree to disagree, but maybe that's really for another thread. TBH yeah, I could take or leave a lot of their later stuff. I'd stand by that first album though.

Without knowing you personally I don't know what your memories are of Ireland late 80's to early 90's, mine are bleak (not so much that I didn't enjoy myself mind!). All I know is that absolutely no one I'm aware of had the balls to do stuff like "Colorado Springs" in Official Catholic Ireland.

Considering it was four straight musicians playing it behind one gay vocalist, younger folk might think it a bit twee today but in 1993 on a personal level it changed things for me and a lot of others in ways no Irish band had ever done up until then. Maybe even since come to think of it.

But fair enough, horses for courses and all that, I guess it just depends on what clicks with you and what clicks with me.

Well I do only know one song by GH friends in time so I would have thought they were kinda poppy. I was just getting into music in the mid 90's. I wasn't much into the Irish scene really but I do remember certain bands like sack and wormhole form being played on no disco and dave fanning but I never invested in their albums. Compulsion were popular around the town I hailed from cos Sid I think was dating a local girl,perhaps they are still together.I did have comforter on cassette. If you liked sack in the 90's chances are that nostalgia kicks in the way it has for me with compulsion,whipping boy and you think their music has aged well.As I say I know almost next to nothing about them so your assertion could well be correct for people who were fans of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Sack had some great tunes. Saw them at last year's picnic, they put on a great show, Martin going round in a feather boa!

Just to be clear I called GH ie Golden Horde pop music not Sack.

• Advertisement

Second single from sid rainey and the mutz at 12.00..When we get of lockdown first band I wanna see !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpEL8agWleo

Advertisement