Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Excellent budget network IMHO, usually best if contacted by twitter for customer care. Data can be slow in Ireland, generally good abroad. I had no issues watching a full football match on RTE player on a TV in a remote part of south Greece last time I was there, solely using Lyca's wifi roaming (at no cost).

how do you use wifi roaming abroad and/or find hotspots?

That worked.... Cheers....

if the apn doesn't come through abroad you need to keep using the home apn settings, not the one that is native for the foreign country

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

glasso wrote: »
    how do you use wifi roaming abroad and/or find hotspots?

Search for the partner network in the other country and set up as normal. Google around , think there's a thread on it somewhere.

Search for the partner network in the other country and set up as normal. Google around , think there's a thread on it somewhere.

setup as normal how? I've only used their mobile signal - have never set-up wifi "as normal". please explain

Not an expert, I googled around and found out how, suggest do same. Varies from phone to phone too.

• Advertisement

Not an expert, I googled around and found out how, suggest do same. Varies from phone to phone too.

a man of mystery. not even a clue...

I did think that the general point of forums was to share information....

I had googled subsequently and for the benefit of other users instead of "just google duh"; found this for the UK. presumes applies for Ire when abroad

https://www.lycawifi.com/

so from what I can see you must be up and running on a bundle at the time and use a specific android / ios app as mentioned in the link

one strange side effect of Lyca data is that it goes through the Uk somehow and you can watch bbc on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

one strange side effect of Lyca data is that it goes through the Uk somehow and you can watch bbc on it.
    Google.co.uk is default browser
    Other sites think I'm in Denmark (xe.com displays DKK as default) or Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭maurice1

You are correct this has been the case for a couple of years, but it seems to have changed this week. BBC iplayer & ITVhub dont seem to work for me anymore.

When I go to whatismyip I get 83.173.6.100 which is in Drogheda.

Enjoyed the iplayer. any easy way to get it back on the phone?.
    Would changing the APN data.lycamobile.ie help?

Or perhaps they are getting prepared for 4G

maurice1 wrote: »
    You are correct this has been the case for a couple of years, but it seems to have changed this week. BBC iplayer & ITVhub dont seem to work for me anymore.

When I go to whatismyip I get 83.173.6.100 which is in Drogheda.

Enjoyed the iplayer. any easy way to get it back on the phone?.
    Would changing the APN data.lycamobile.ie help?

Or perhaps they are getting prepared for 4G

nope. outside paying for a vpn that will actually work no solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

Has anyone experienced difficulty streaming radio stations using Lycamobile data on their phones?

I haven't been able to do it for about a month. It works fine with WiFi and also works if I change to a three sim.

Its not a reception issue as youtube etc. all work no problem.

Have no problem.
    I use www.surfmusic.de rather than the station's website

@bossdrum
    I use the Ireland Radio app and RadioUK app.
    Both work fine on LYCA 3G
    But for the last month BBC iplayer doesn't work on Lyca 3G

@zell12 www.surfmusic.de great site for internet radio thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

maurice1 wrote:
    I use the Ireland Radio app and RadioUK app. Both work fine on LYCA 3G But for the last month BBC iplayer doesn't work on Lyca 3G

Thanks Maurice, I'll give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was out last night and had turned off my vpn to do something. Forgot about it and was then reading the news and noticed yerjnisdyre.cloudfront.net loading and showing me an advert to Lycamobile before the pages load.
    Is that new? That would do my head in, I never noticed it before as I use a VPN, but I also have adaway installed which obviously hasn't blocked that yet. I didn't make a rule as when vpn is on it's gone again.

Suckit wrote: »
    I was out last night and had turned off my vpn to do something. Forgot about it and was then reading the news and noticed yerjnisdyre.cloudfront.net loading and showing me an advert to Lycamobile before the pages load.
    Is that new? That would do my head in, I never noticed it before as I use a VPN, but I also have adaway installed which obviously hasn't blocked that yet. I didn't make a rule as when vpn is on it's gone again.
    Yeah, been ongoing for at least six weeks. I just click 'Skip' on the ad
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110457062&postcount=1601

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

zell12 wrote: »
    Yeah, been ongoing for at least six weeks. I just click 'Skip' on the ad
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110457062&postcount=1601

Ha, and I was the first answer... :o

I thought they were referring to banner adverts but even the other ones, Blokada would probably work anyway. Cheap or free VPN definitely should work too.

I have a sub with expressvpn so I hadn't see those type of ads, but sometimes banner ads creep in until updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Just wondering if the speeds for Lycamobile data are up to par?

Just got in Dublin
    ping 62ms
    Up 10.13 Mbps
    Down 3.24 Mbps

Mind you, Sunday morning @ 10:26AM, - Low contention

New Irish Android app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lycadigital.lycamobile&rdid=com.lycadigital.lycamobile

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

maurice1 wrote: »
    Just got in Dublin
    ping 62ms
    Up 10.13 Mbps
    Down 3.24 Mbps

Mind you, Sunday morning @ 10:26AM, - Low contention

New Irish Android app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lycadigital.lycamobile&rdid=com.lycadigital.lycamobile

Not a lot of top reviews of that app.:pac:

• Advertisement

Just wondering if the speeds for Lycamobile data are up to par?

varies all over the place.

only way is to try it.

seems to have improved in general over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Ok...in April the speeds were in Kb ...that's why I left.

data speed is definitely a good bit better than 4 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vcorm

I have a terrible experience with them

Stay away.. at first, it was wonderful until I need to renew my bundle, I could do it online so I called customer service 1923, I had the port in a bundle, the team members took my money and give me another bundle, that was not the one I request to renew. then I call back.... BIG lie, port in bundle is only for one month, but term and condition writing 6 month... now cannot refund me or give me back my bundle have of course pay more....

ps: had to call 3 times to get some one I could actualy understand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anyone know how to remove a payment card off of My Lycamobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Shorty69664

Apologies in advance for a stupid question..

I've been using Lycamobile since March and I actually find it really good.
    I have the Ireland plus bundle which I top up automatically with €15 each month.
    So why then does my account show a balance in the region of €23?

Surely my balance should be €0 as I have paid them the exact cost of a monthly bundle.
    I just don't understand why I have a balance....
    is there a portion of the €15 unused??

You get to keep the €15. It's bizarre, but great! You can use the balance to top up an additional €15, the €9 bundle is grand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Apologies in advance for a stupid question..

I've been using Lycamobile since March and I actually find it really good.
    I have the Ireland plus bundle which I top up automatically with €15 each month.
    So why then does my account show a balance in the region of €23?

Surely my balance should be €0 as I have paid them the exact cost of a monthly bundle.
    I just don't understand why I have a balance....
    is there a portion of the €15 unused??

Are you sure you are purchasing the bundle each month and not just topping up?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Shorty69664

You had me doubting myself but I just checked and it's definitely the Ireland Plus bundle - Not top ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Top up by 15, calls + 15GB, keep top up

Following month use the top up to buy Ireland Plus which is calls+text+15GB.

So if you don't use text during top up month, then 2 months for 15 ie 7.50 per month.

AFAIK credit expires 90 days after top up so topping up and immediately buying Ireland plus bundle is free money for Lyca.

Advertisement