Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CCTV

Options
  • 30-01-2019 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to self install a home CCTV system.

Mostly external cameras. I have an old DVR with old cameras in situ but looking to upgrade.

Have looked at like of Nest Cameras but don’t like the subscription model.

Could install another hardwired option.

The likes of Nest, Ring, Blink all have some good features and apps but if there an equivalent hard wired version with decent quality cameras for easy install without port forwarding etc to get video feed?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

I also interested in that, tho I need that for my new business premises

We have Blink XT(they are outdoor and you can disable lights on record) at home https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blink-Home-Security-Detection-Included/dp/B075RY14J2
    There are not full-fledged CCTV as per se but they are easy to mount and operate. However, I am not sure they are best for business purposes. Hence, I'd love to join this thread to see what other CCTV solutions out there that don't break your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

I also heard professional gear like Hikvision can be sold only to licensed installers only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

alex_r wrote: »
    I also heard professional gear like Hikvision can be sold only to licensed installers only :(

I don't think this is correct. I had no problem sourcing a set when I was in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Amazon sell them??

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

That is definitely not the case, Hikvision also do a range called HiWatch which are decent systems also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Calibos wrote: »
    Amazon sell them??

Yes I must order a set off them soon they are working out very reasonable too with the sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I know you'd like to avoid subscription version but I have 3 nest outdoor cams and the doorbell. They're excellent and the quality is brilliant, not to mention the features (people detection and facial recognition) .

Also, having to just run the power supply is a big plus.

My only advice against is, you need a decent wifi signal to each camera.

Sub is €140, not mad money, but worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭jmreire

I know you'd like to avoid subscription version but I have 3 nest outdoor cams and the doorbell. They're excellent and the quality is brilliant, not to mention the features (people detection and facial recognition) .

Also, having to just run the power supply is a big plus.

My only advice against is, you need a decent wifi signal to each camera.

Sub is €140, not mad money, but worth it imo.

Hi Douglashyde, I know it's quite awhile since you posted the above, but by now I guess you have it all sorted, So how is it working out for you?
    And a few questions for you, if you don't mind? Was it a company who installed it for you, and you pay an annual subscription of €140.00 per annum for the service plus installation / parts charges? Could you elaborate on this? Technically,is it all done through WIFI? meaning no wiring between camera's and monitor?
    Thanks.

Advertisement