Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-09-2018, 10:32   #16
Bluefoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post
Christmas party skiing? Wtf? And it's just the first part?

What's the second part?
A bit of craic and a few drinks...
Advertisement
23-09-2018, 09:59   #17
Bluefoam

My jacket has arrived and I really like it. Tonnes of features and looks great. It's a Mountain Warehouse jacket... But when I got it, the tags said 3000mm waterproof, which kinda worried me... Some shops say to have min 5000, but recommend 10000. Should I return it for something with a higher water proofing?
24-09-2018, 10:24   #18
Diemos

Personally I would not get too hung up about the jacket. Pants are the really important part that you will need a higher numbe part.
Thanks from:
25-09-2018, 09:36   #19
cormee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemos View Post
Personally I would not get too hung up about the jacket. Pants are the really important part that you will need a higher numbe part.
Yeah, don't fret on details like that. You'll drive yourself insane - I know I did. One thing that is good to have on the jacket though, is a small pocket on the arm, so you can scan your lift pass with a swipe of the arm, when you're getting on a lift.
(2) thanks from:
25-09-2018, 17:16   #20
a148pro

Yes, I have one in my glove and works well also

You rarely need waterproofing in a ski jacket, most of the water will be inside you from sweat so breathability a lot more important

Like all things outdoors, there is a whole amount of b s marketing associated with this stuff
Advertisement
25-09-2018, 17:21   #21
Mint Sauce

Padded shorts/pants, and wrist guards. Have been twice, and second time felt like a newbie altogether at times. Would definitely get them if I was to go again.

TK Max is great for stuff, and well worth the searching through rails.
25-09-2018, 17:23   #22
blue note

I'd recommend going for a few lessons before going. You'll be quicker getting the hang of it then and it'll make the whole thing more enjoyable.
(2) thanks from:
26-09-2018, 10:57   #23
Bluefoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue note View Post
I'd recommend going for a few lessons before going. You'll be quicker getting the hang of it then and it'll make the whole thing more enjoyable.
One of that lads in the office is sorting out group lessons in Sandyford.
Thanks from:
26-09-2018, 11:37   #24
Bluefoam

Jaysus... I've spent the past couple of weeks seeing parcels arrive, with no current use. I hope this becomes something I do regularly... Glad I did it before the start of the season & before sale prices are finished. I've been lucky that everything i ordered fit me.

Jacket
Trousers
Goggles
Gloves
Hat
Base Layers
Padded Jocks
Wrist Guards
Knee Pads
Socks

Is there anything more that I need, besides a helmet?
Advertisement
26-09-2018, 12:11   #25
irlirishkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post
Jaysus... I've spent the past couple of weeks seeing parcels arrive, with no current use. I hope this becomes something I do regularly... Glad I did it before the start of the season & before sale prices are finished. I've been lucky that everything i ordered fit me.

Jacket
Trousers
Goggles
Gloves
Hat
Base Layers
Padded Jocks
Wrist Guards
Knee Pads
Socks

LOL at the padded jocks, but I'm a skier, not a boarder
I'd be lost without a buff for around my chin/nose, for those really cold days, especially on the chair lifts.
Thanks from:
26-09-2018, 12:38   #26
Bluefoam

add:
Buff?
Braces?

If I was any good, I'dd be attaching a couple of GoPros to me...
26-09-2018, 16:29   #27
Thatnastyboy

+100 on the ar$epads, snowboarding is minus craic when learning and doing it with a bruised tailbone would drive you away from it.

I would definitely recommend getting up to Sandyford or Kilternan for some basic lessons before you go - a few evenings up there will get you passed the absolute basics so you won't need to waste a day or two of your holiday just learning how to strap into the board and also you'll have an idea of the basic movement of the board.

Your list looks good - But I strongly suggest a helmet & wrist protectors! edit* sorry, you have these covered

When learning I acquired a concussion - while wearing a helmet, probably would have had a cracked skull without it!

I also wear a hydration backpack, but probably best leave that till you start falling a little less

Last edited by Thatnastyboy; 26-09-2018 at 16:37.
Thanks from:
05-10-2018, 14:46   #28
Iamxavier

The most essential piece of kit is a helmet as a beginner. Some may think that you may not really need it within the first couple of hours as you are not going to be doing a whole lot as a beginner. Probably learning to use the edges and simple turns. It's possible that the instructor will not take you if you don't have a helmet.

I am a little late to the thread, but you should be able to rent everything at the slope. I have yet to see a slope without a rental stall.

I don't think I seen any mention of socks, apart from your list. Get good padded socks for snowboarding. You only need one pair, it will do you for 2 or 3 days.

I have purchased some expensive base layers for snowboarding and only ever used them once.

If you can, get some suspenders for your pants. When you slide down the hill, and you will, your jacket will act as a scoop and all that lovely snow will end up gathering around the top of your pants. When your kidneys get cold, it's a very uncomfortable feeling.

Enjoy yourself, snowboarding is great fun
12-10-2018, 06:48   #29
Carnmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post

Jacket
Trousers
Goggles
Gloves
Hat
Base Layers
Padded Jocks
Wrist Guards
Knee Pads
Socks

Can I ask where you got the gear from?
Also did you get the helmet and braces?
12-10-2018, 08:51   #30
blue note

I got most of my stuff from sport direct and it's all been excellent. Try on brands in the shop or in another shop before buying for sizes.

And there are permanent sales. Bare in mind the sale price is the actual price.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion