Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 MLB Postseason Chat

• 06-10-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭

Alrighty about time we kicked off this thread as we're nearly 2 games into the playoffs.

Philadelphia already looking VERY strong IMO. Halladay's first ever game in the postseason and he's been superlative through 3 innings without giving up a hit and with a 2-out 2-on single in the 2nd that effectively allowed for 3 runs (he drove in 1 and kept the inning alive for Victorino to drive in the other 2)

Unbelievable stuff, sort of, I mean it's Roy, it's believable. He should guarantee at least 1 game in every series they play and with Oswalt and Hamels to follow I'm very optimistic about my 9/1 bet on Phillies winning the NL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Oh man. He's so good. 3 outs to go.

No-hitter. That was insane. Holy Jesus. Best performance I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Was just coming online to post about that game. What a close game. Excitement to beat the band.

2nd ever post season no hitter. And was one walk from a perfect game.
    Only 3 times did he get to a 3 ball count. Savage stuff.
    Not bad for your 1st post season start.

gerire wrote: »
    Was just coming online to post about that game. What a close game. Excitement to beat the band.

Against the best hitters in the NL this year and with an RBI of his own, and the first time someone's had 2 no-hitters in a season since 1973.

Absolutely amazing. I've lived in Toronto when he was with the Jays and spent 6 months this year in Philadelphia. Seen him pitch live about 20 times. He's the real deal. Absolutely no words to describe his dominance up there. Man I don't think I'll sleep tonight I've been so pumped up for the last hour and a half. I've been sitting in my Phillies tracksuit pants, Phillies baseball cap, and Halladay 34 Phillies t-shirt since 10pm and I'm still nearly shaking even though the nerves should have gone away by now.

Man. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭theoldalfer

Phillies 2 games up now, a crazy 7th inning:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭WATPOAE

gerire wrote: »

Phillies fans are only now realising the privilege they have in watching Halladay pitch for them. As a Jays fan I knew what we were losing when he was traded but couldn't be happier for the guy as I have the utmost respect for him in terms of his talent, ridiculous amount of hard work and his professional approach to every single aspect of his game. I hope they go on to win the World Series as no other player in the game would deserve a ring more than the Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tumbling_dice

Hoping the Rays win this one because we're looking at too many one-sided series here. And we had enough of that last year. They look pretty awful though. Someone stole Longoria's mojo. He doesn't know there is a strike zone anymore, let alone where it is. Also, how bad are the TBS announcers? If I hear about "productive outs" one more time.

Case in point with TBS. Wittering on about Joe Maddon (not for the first time this series) and how he turned the Rays around, with the occasional "He didn't do it alone" caveat thrown in. He has to be the most overly-deified manager in baseball now. He didn't do it alone? Really! Amazing how he came up with the idea of playing all those incredible young players who were running round the farm system. Andrew Who? They have a front office now? Wha' dat? This is a guy who botched his lineup card last year and had to leave Evan Longoria out of the team. Genius? Give me a break.

It looks like the Rays have this one, even though Cruz just made it 6-3 in the ninth. The Rangers were warming up Cliff Lee (and CJ Wilson) in the 8th. They deserve to be fined or something just for even considering thinking about using him. It's Game 3 you idiots! You have two more shots at this.

Lose, Texas. Lose heavily.

Glad to see the Rays keep the series alive. Can't really call today's game, if they do win it then I think they may the momentum in game 5.

As for the Twins, jesus, talk about serial chokers. Whats the point of winning that poor excuse of a division if you get walked all over by the bloody Yankees every ALDS? A whole season gone down the toilet in three poor outings.

Phillies to sweep today, can't see the Reds doing anything particularly if they bring their new found hobby of multiple errors into today's game. Can't call the Giants v Braves game either, they seem to be evenly matched but SF might just squeak by in 5.

WATPOAE wrote: »
    As for the Twins, jesus, talk about serial chokers. Whats the point of winning that poor excuse of a division if you get walked all over by the bloody Yankees every ALDS? A whole season gone down the toilet in three poor outings.

C'mon, the Twins are an excellent team. I don't why Duensing is starting ahead of Baker or Slowey but other than that... Three games tell you nothing in baseball. The teams are so close that it could really go either way. These guys launched that comeback against the Tigers last year, they won that play-in game in extras after looking down and out. They were in an impossible situation last year against the Yankees. Both this and last year, they had to face them without Morneau who is their second best player and one of the best players in baseball when he was healthy this year. And that first game could have gone either way. So could the second one. The margins are so thin, particularly in a 5 game series, that I don't really think you can label a team chokers.

None of which makes me very happy. The damn Yankees roll on. Who will beat them? Rangers/Rays have to, they just have to, and you know what, I think they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

After two games where they only scored 1 run, the Rays look like they've found their bats!

Looks like this series will be going 5.

C'mon, the Twins are an excellent team. I don't why Duensing is starting ahead of Baker or Slowey but other than that... Three games tell you nothing in baseball. The teams are so close that it could really go either way. These guys launched that comeback against the Tigers last year, they won that play-in game in extras after looking down and out. They were in an impossible situation last year against the Yankees. Both this and last year, they had to face them without Morneau who is their second best player and one of the best players in baseball when he was healthy this year. And that first game could have gone either way. So could the second one. The margins are so thin, particularly in a 5 game series, that I don't really think you can label a team chokers.

None of which makes me very happy. The damn Yankees roll on. Who will beat them? Rangers/Rays have to, they just have to, and you know what, I think they will.

I beg to differ on that. Three games in the post season tell you a lot. And its 9 consecutive losses to the Yankees in the post season. I agree that the first two games were close but there's a trend here...they all went the way of the Yankees. You can't just blame it on not having Morneau (and they actually had a slightly better regular season record without him this year then when he was healthy) and close games not going their way. I just don't think its good enough to win a very average division multiple years on the trot and show no progress in the post season.

I know where you're coming from, but three games really do not tell you anything. Nine games don't tell you much either. And it's not really nine consecutive games because three of those were in, what, 2004? It's two almost totally different teams you're talking about. Plus, like I said, last year they were severely disadvantaged by having to play the game against the Tigers on the Monday. Maybe the Yankees are just better at winning post season games, I don't know. Maybe the Twins are chokers, I don't know that either. I doubt it though. It's too small a sample (three games tell you nothing!) and they are too consistently good a team in the regular season. Some day, Joe Mauer will beat the Yankees in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

Saturday- Halladay v Lincecum. A dream matchup. Anyone know any bars around Dublin that show these playoff games?

Foxsports has an interesting comparison between the two pitchers today.

I've always been a bigger fan of pitching duels (I saw Fernando Valenzuela v Gooden in Shea back in the 80s when I was a kid) than sloppy offensive onslaughts so Saturday should be a good one.

DaDartle wrote: »
    Saturday- Halladay v Lincecum. A dream matchup. Anyone know any bars around Dublin that show these playoff games?

I've always been a bigger fan of pitching duels (I saw Fernando Valenzuela v Gooden in Shea back in the 80s when I was a kid) than sloppy offensive onslaughts so Saturday should be a good one.

I'm with you there. I too prefer good pitching where one or two runs wins the game as opposed to a 14-11 run-fest. Halladay v Lincecum's going to be brilliant. It's just a pity CC isn't up against Cliff Lee in the ALCS

I'm with you there. I too prefer good pitching where one or two runs wins the game as opposed to a 14-11 run-fest. Halladay v Lincecum's going to be brilliant. It's just a pity CC isn't up against Cliff Lee in the ALCS

CC just had a disasterous 1st inning.

But I agree, tomorrow night is mouth watering. As I said on the gambling forum, zero runs scored in 1st inning is 8/13, think it's a super bet.

COME ON PHILLIES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭muppet_man

OMG what a game tonight!

After CCs brutal 1st was screaming at TV for change of pitcher...how many pitches was it....30 odd?

Maybe NYY was bit rusty to start but what a collapes by rangers, looked liked they hadn't a clue what to do with a lead?

Looking forward to saturdays game.

Lets go yankees!!

Was it worth that 8th inning to see Dubya looking so glum?

No. No it wasn't. Only one game but it's hard to see the Rangers picking themselves up from that.

Damn you Yankees, damn you.

DaDartle wrote: »

The Woolshed on Parnell St show MLB games, http://www.woolshedbaa.com/Whats_On.html

Was it worth that 8th inning to see Dubya looking so glum?

No. No it wasn't. Only one game but it's hard to see the Rangers picking themselves up from that.

Damn you Yankees, damn you.

As much as it pains me to say it, the Yankees have the pedigree to deliver in the playoffs. Look at Jeter getting a crucial hit in that 8th inning last night, after one of the worst seasons for him in terms of his average. He just has that gene to deliver when it matters.

Looking forward to the game tonight, at least it starts at a resonable time. Will try to take in the Giants v Phillies as the pitching match up is a beauty.

• Advertisement

muppet_man wrote: »

After CCs brutal 1st was screaming at TV for change of pitcher...how many pitches was it....30 odd?

He was so bad he even walked me. I couldn't watch anymore so went to the shop.

I hate the Yankees but I do enjoy watching CC pitch. I went to bed at 5-0 about the 6th inning and I texted my girlfriend (a New Yorker, though a Mets fan she cheers for the Yanks) saying I was off to bed and that Rangers should see it out easily. Of course she texted back at 5:30am to wake me up and tell me they came back. :(

At least I'll be over there in a week and will be able to see the WS at a reasonable hour!!

8-10 wrote: »
    though a Mets fan she cheers for the Yanks

Is that not a contradiction in terms...bit like oil and water.
    I am Arsenal through and through, could never cheer spurs.

Anyways NYY didn't do well last nite, get em back home, win the 2 of em and see it out in texas.

Is that not a contradiction in terms...bit like oil and water.
    I am Arsenal through and through, could never cheer spurs.

She worked for the Yankees for a few years, but grew up a Mets fan. She doesn't follow religiously or anything.

I know what you mean. But she says it's a bit like the Jets/Giants following. If she hadn't worked for the Yankees I don't think she'd care. Plus I think she gets a kick out of me being a Sox fan. :p

me being a Sox fan. :p

So you really get the Arsenal-spurs analogy.
    One wana-be team looking up at another.

Sorry dude couldn't resist it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

As a Padre fan, watching the playoffs this year is a little heartbreaking.

I'm cheering on the Giants just so I can say SD were beaten by the best (and cause I'd hate to see the Phillies/Yankees win it!).

Firehen wrote: »

I'm cheering on the Giants just so I can say SD were beaten by the best (and cause I'd hate to see the Phillies/Yankees win it!).

Can't help but feel bad for the Padres. I have a feeling Phillies/Giants will be an epic 7-gamer.

Firehen wrote: »

As a Mets fan, watching the playoffs EVERY year is heartbreaking!!

Good playoffs so far though. Both series look like they could go the distance. I just hope the Giants' bats wake up to match the quality of their pitching. It's on a bit late so I won't be watching but Cliff Lee tonight is one game I'd love to watch

It's on a bit late so I won't be watching but Cliff Lee tonight is one game I'd love to watch

Top of fifth now and Lee is pitching super...think it's only Teixeira dat got to 1st with a walk.
    ESPN are say he'll be a yankee next year...money talks I suppose

Top of fifth now and Lee is pitching super...think it's only Teixeira dat got to 1st with a walk.
    ESPN are say he'll be a yankee next year...money talks I suppose

He is a bit of a journeyman these days. All they need then is another outfielder, Carl Crawford or the like, and they'll be unstoppable next year.

Lee was terrific last night. Joy to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Can't help but feel bad for the Padres. I have a feeling Phillies/Giants will be an epic 7-gamer.

I hope so and with the pitching staffs of both teams, its not unlikely. Nothing more exciting than a 7th game.

As for the Padres, 90 wins was way beyond anyone's expectations, but the way the season ended was particularly devastating. Still, it was an indication that the future is bright for San Diego baseball.

Advertisement