Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2011, 18:40   #16
Fattes

Derv; I have no idea about board boots, There are some very knowledgeable boarders on here.

I am sure if you start a thread they may be able to help.

I know TK Maxx are selling Board boots at the moment, no idea about the quality etc.

Would Try Snow & Rock, Great outdoors and Irishsnowboarders.com for advice.
Advertisement
07-11-2011, 10:44   #17
Snowbride 2011

Hi,

I've always had problems with ski boots and need some advice

I'm short in stature and my calves seem to start at my ankles! As such, I need a very wide boot. After many years of rental trauma, I eventually bought a pair of Technica Vento 8. These were selected as they were the only ones I could physically close (just about, I still can't close the top clasp unless I've had them on for a week), plus they are far too big compared to my shoe size...alas, I saw this thread 4 years too late

The boots have now paid for themselves so I now think its time for a new and hopefully better fitting pair. Do you know of any brand that do a wider leg boot and if they are stocked anywhere in Ireland?

Cheers
07-11-2011, 11:26   #18
bovril

Hi Snowbride 2011, sounds like I have the same problems as you. I found a great pair of rental boots earlier this year and came home and decided to try and purchase the boots in Snow and Rock in Dundrum. The guys in there are great and they told me that the boots I rented new out of the box were not the right boots for me. Turns out the rental ones had been stretched due to use. They recommended Technica ones as they are the widest boot they stock. I ended up getting Tecnica Viva Phoenix 80.

I would recommend calling into Snow and Rock and chatting with the guys and seeing what they can do for you.

I've also rented Lowa boots away. These were really comfortable and seemed wider than other boots but I don't think they are stocked in Ireland.
08-11-2011, 13:33   #19
Fattes

Snowbride2011;

Your problem is not the boot Last (Width) as this will apply to the forefoot, from what you have said the issue is with the Cuff of the boot and the spoiler.

Nearly all brands to a range of boots with a last from 92 for race to 110 (Comfrot Fit) so you will be looking at the boots aimed at the comfort end of the market. Do not go to the shop with a specific boot in mind more an objective and an awarness of previous issues. There are boots with Narrow last and cuffs that can be wider.

If you have narrow feet a wide boot will cause tons of problems as your foot will be moving all over the place. Focus on the Cuff for the width.

Snow and Rock or McSki in Belfast are your best bets with a wide range of boots and good fitters. They may need to grind the cuff of the boot to make some more space and really open out the micro adjustment on the buckles.

Most women's boots are designed to accomidate women's more athletic Calf muscles. If i was you I would be looking for something with adjustable cuff buckles and Spoiler to give you as many options for fitting as possible.

Happy Shopping.
08-11-2011, 15:16   #20
Snowbride 2011

Wow..ok, I think I've managed to decipher what Last, Cuff and Spolier are

Thanks for the responses guys
Advertisement
08-11-2011, 16:32   #21
Fattes

Sorry didnt meant to get all technical and carried away!

Basically Cuff & Spoiler are the upright piece of the boot on the leg

Last is the Width of the boot across the middle (Half way between instep and toes)

Try Pascal in Snow & Rock knows his stuff and is a decent bloke.
29-11-2011, 13:10   #22
Snowbride 2011

Hey, just an update. I did indeed get new boots. Snow & Rock, specifically Pascal was fantasic...I would recommend. Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys
20-10-2014, 11:54   #23
Gatica

Where is a good place to buy custom fitted ski boots? Would prefer Galway, but can go to Dublin for better selection or fit or price...
Mailed Great Outdoors in Dublin but still no reply. Anywhere else I can visit there?
20-10-2014, 17:20   #24
Fattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatica View Post
Where is a good place to buy custom fitted ski boots? Would prefer Galway, but can go to Dublin for better selection or fit or price...
Mailed Great Outdoors in Dublin but still no reply. Anywhere else I can visit there?
Gatica, Snow and Rock in the Dundrum Centre, Pascal is an excellent boot fitter, good range too, McSki, Belfast, are your other options
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2015, 23:14   #25
Jasnah

Around how much would custom fitted boots in Snow and Rock be? Considering doing a season next year after catching the ski bug over the last two years, so figure I will need boots and a pair of skis. Also, any time of year that might be best for heading in and getting some discounts? Cheers Fattes, good advice here and on snowheads (where I looked originally, forgetting this forum existed!)
13-01-2015, 11:17   #26
Fattes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasnah View Post
Around how much would custom fitted boots in Snow and Rock be? Considering doing a season next year after catching the ski bug over the last two years, so figure I will need boots and a pair of skis. Also, any time of year that might be best for heading in and getting some discounts? Cheers Fattes, good advice here and on snowheads (where I looked originally, forgetting this forum existed!)
How long is a piece of string! Depends on the boots that best suit you and what type of skiing you do. Probably looking at 220-450 depending on the boot, if you are doing a season, get something comfy! You will be in them a lot!

Pascal is the man at S&R, end of season they do a pretty big sale and early next season Sep, to clear stock! As for skis! If you are doing a season you will probably pick up a pair in resort cheap that will do you for a first pair! I know here you can pick them up from CHF 100- 250 for a really good pair the more expensive even have touring skins and binding!
Thanks from:
14-01-2015, 08:34   #27
Northern Monkey

+1 for Pascal, top bloke.

If I was doing a season, I'd probably buy them in resort, some shops will have a seasonaire discount and if you need them tweaked you can get it done in the same shop rather than being hundreds of miles from where you bought them.

I bought a pair in the salomon shop in whistler (out of season when there was no snow) and had problems with the fit. It's been nothing but hassle trying to get it resolved with the shop since.
13-01-2016, 14:30   #28
Donie75

Hi,
I bought ski boots while on holidays in Soll around 10 or 12 years ago. They are Tecnica boots and initially they were uncomfortable but after a refit in the shop and again a few years later they are fine.
My skiing has improved a good bit over the last few years and I also find the boots fine to wear most of the time.
Have ski-boots moved on much in the last 10 year? I'm guessing mine were fairly basic boots. They only have three clamps where most now seem to have 4.
Would it be worth my while upgrading to improve my skiing and comfort further?
13-01-2016, 22:55   #29
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donie75 View Post
Hi,
I bought ski boots while on holidays in Soll around 10 or 12 years ago. They are Tecnica boots and initially they were uncomfortable but after a refit in the shop and again a few years later they are fine.
My skiing has improved a good bit over the last few years and I also find the boots fine to wear most of the time.
Have ski-boots moved on much in the last 10 year? I'm guessing mine were fairly basic boots. They only have three clamps where most now seem to have 4.
Last time I bought boots - 2/3 years ago - I rented several different pairs until I found a pair I liked. It was a lot of to and fro but in the end it was worth it. I've a strange foot shape and found it hard to get one that was comfortable yet snug enough for control.

I went back to the same shop the next year and said I wanted to buy what I rented the previous year - was about €100 cheaper as it was last years model but have been happy ever since.
17-01-2016, 22:27   #30
stecleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donie75 View Post
Hi,
I bought my boot during the summer and most boots in S&R had heat molding shells, the boots i bought didn't fit too great before molding, 30 min later and its like putting on a tailored suit.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion