Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-10-2019, 15:54   #31
riclad

The law at present discourages investors and potential landlords as it favour,s the tenant .
In case,s where a tenant stays in a house and refuse,s to pay any rent .
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-10-2019, 17:32   #32
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposableFish View Post
I disagree, I would say its general inadequacy favours anyone who's willing to flout the law, be they landlord or tenant.
It's about risk. If either sides flout the law how severe are the penalties and repercussions. Are they equally severe. What are the risks.
19-10-2019, 17:54   #33
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposableFish View Post
I don't really get that point. Why does the landlord have a right to make a return.
It's an investment, they took a risk/miscalculated the risk and it didn't pay off.
You are entitled to be remunerated if you provide a service.

You are quite right in the sense that a landlord has no right to make a profit on either the service nor the capital investment, but if there is a tenancy agreement, the landlord most assuredly has a right to be paid for the property.

It is obvious that LLs are calculating risk far more now than before, either by leaving the market in large numbers, or by being far more selective on who they rent to and by asking for much bigger deposits. This is detrimental to the rental market and means many good tenants cannot get accommodation.
19-10-2019, 18:36   #34
disposableFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
You are entitled to be remunerated if you provide a service.

You are quite right in the sense that a landlord has no right to make a profit on either the service nor the capital investment, but if there is a tenancy agreement, the landlord most assuredly has a right to be paid for the property.

It is obvious that LLs are calculating risk far more now than before, either by leaving the market in large numbers, or by being far more selective on who they rent to and by asking for much bigger deposits. This is detrimental to the rental market and means many good tenants cannot get accommodation.
I was talking purely about the capital gain on property value, which was what the poster I was quoting was talking about in the quote (unless I'm wrong). That any investment is a risk you take, but Old Diesel seemed to be suggesting that LLs be compensated for not making the kind of profit they had hoped to make on what turned out to be a bad investment.

On what you were saying, certainly everyone has the right to be paid the agreed amount for a service provided.

The points I've been making generally are that everyone would benefit from tighter rules and a much quicker legal system - from a LLs point of view risk would be greatly reduced if you could be sure of getting non-paying tenants out within a short amount of time.
20-10-2019, 15:28   #35
sk8board

Hi, just to say firstly I’m a full time residential LL.

The incidental LLs are in the perfect position to sell at the moment:
1. By their nature they never wanted to be LLs in the first place
2. Rent controls means their yield is managed by an external entity
3. As an investment, having 100% of your income coming from one tenancy carries incredible risk. Any issues and it’s 0 income with all the same costs.
4. Property prices appear to be peaking, so it’s a good time to sell

Finally, just to clarify this point - “the Irish Property Owners Association noted that two-thirds of all tenancies are let by property owners with less than three properties.”

This is incorrect - two thirds of all LLs only have ONE rental property (120k from 169k according to the RTB).
Only 8% of LLs have 3 or more properties.

Personally I consider myself one of the ‘good’ LLs, but ideally I’d like to be able to establish a company to run it as a business, professionalise the market and be beholden to the rules
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-10-2019, 15:36   #36
handlemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann View Post
I love how this is presented as a negative, when in reality landlords being forced to sell up allows families to buy houses to live in, put down roots and form a community.

As opposed to seeing a house as an asset to be milked for all its worth, it is back to being used as per its proper use.

The supply of residential units is close to catching up with demand, could be a blessing in disguise being "forced to sell".

Poor landlords, the real victims of the housing crisis.
This post just shows your lack of understanding of how a proper property market should work. There should always be a mix of property owners in the market
Thanks from:
24-10-2019, 07:32   #37
Topgear on Dave

A short report about this now on morning Ireland.

Mentions there's 50,000 less landlords since 2012, and the difficulties of evicting bad tenants and an interview with a LL who's tenant filled the house with trash.

Threshold boss on to say it's a landlords market.
24-10-2019, 08:18   #38
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear on Dave View Post

Mentions there's 50,000 less landlords since 2012, and the difficulties of evicting bad tenants and an interview with a LL who's tenant filled the house with trash.

It’s a “Landlrds market”, rent is at an all time high, yet there are 50k less LLs than 7 years ago, I doubt you need a masters in Economics to see that situation is not normal. Did the threshold guy acknowledge the difficulties associated with evicting errant tenants?
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2019, 08:18   #39
The Student

Quote:

is this on today or when was it on? I would like to listen to it.
Advertisement
24-10-2019, 08:30   #40
beauf

Berlin is going to have a 5yr rent freeze. Expect similar here shortly.
Thanks from:
24-10-2019, 08:34   #41
beauf

Quote:
It’s a “Landlrds market”, rent is at an all time high, yet there are 50k less LLs than 7 years ago, I doubt you need a masters in Economics to see that situation is not normal. Did the threshold guy acknowledge the difficulties associated with evicting errant tenants?
Those figures are not useful on their own. They should be also be looking at the number of new landlords and more importantly the amount of rental stock the number of units. Finally the number of people renting and looking for places.

Because we might have a net loss 30k of units but 300k more people looking for them.

Also are the units leaving the market much lower rent than the new ones entering the market.
24-10-2019, 09:09   #42
Colking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Student View Post
is this on today or when was it on? I would like to listen to it.
https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer...adio1/21642017
(2) thanks from:
24-10-2019, 09:12   #43
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear on Dave

Its slowly becoming a no ones market
24-10-2019, 09:18   #44
Colking

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Its slowly becoming a no ones market
All the power and knowledge reside with the Landlords according to the Threshold CEO.

The Landlord in question says he's most likely getting out.

He doesn't need the hassle at his age and he doesn't need to be constantly vilified for not providing a solution to a problem created by successive governments.

Last edited by Colking; 24-10-2019 at 09:24. Reason: does to doesn't
(5) thanks from:
24-10-2019, 09:22   #45
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colking
He doesn't need the hassle at his age and he does need to be constantly vilified for not providing a solution to a problem created by successive governments.

Its an absolute mess, I wouldn't blame landlords for running, it certainly doesn't sound like money easily earned
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion