Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2019, 19:08   #61
Shelflife

Getting distracted here folks ! Not interested in what you’d do with the money , more what you’d do with the ticket worth €190m !

Personally I think I might go a little mad as I’d be thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong with where I’d put the ticket for safe keeping .

I’d be checking it more often than a first born just home from hospital!
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 19:13   #62
dxhound2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelflife View Post
Getting distracted here folks ! Not interested in what you’d do with the money , more what you’d do with the ticket worth €190m !

Personally I think I might go a little mad as I’d be thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong with where I’d put the ticket for safe keeping .

I’d be checking it more often than a first born just home from hospital!
The website says sign the ticket and keep it in a safe place. Anyone who can't do that should not be let anywhere near €190 million .
19-09-2019, 19:19   #63
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
It's implied by a lot of the answers that you'd keep your win quiet. Or do ye mean just in the initial phase?

When locals spot me heading over to Portumna on my 60ft yacht to buy the messages, they're gonna start asking questions. Ditto when I buy someone a drink in the local. I don't think it's possible to keep a big win quiet.
I rent and commute so there's no one around here that would know my business now, never mind if I just moved out one day.

Besides, let's be honest here... With that sort of money you're not going to be thinking about Joe and Mary in number 29. You will be mixing with an entirely different set where a few million isn't anything special. You won't be getting shopping yourself, you'll have it delivered or have an assistant.

Anyone who reckons that sort of cash wouldn't completely change everything about their lives is either dreaming or it would be wasted on them.. The whole point of that sort of money is it's a life changing event.
19-09-2019, 19:19   #64
Ted_YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoie View Post
Sign ticket. Put ticket into a ziploc bag. Seal bag. Stick bag in bra. Keep wearing that bra until I get to the lotto office.

Sure, I might smell, but the ticket will be safe.
First thing I need to do before this is buy a bra.

At least with winning the euromillions, i can afford a fancy one
19-09-2019, 19:34   #65
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post

Besides, let's be honest here... With that sort of money you're not going to be thinking about Joe and Mary in number 29. You will be mixing with an entirely different set
That's the saddest thing I've read today. (I mean sad-sad, not insulting you).

I love Joe and Mary. I'm not trying to act the Saint but I'd have no interest in winning the lotto if it changed any long-term relationships. With friends and relations - or even just an ability to talk shïte down the village without wondering if people are manipulating you.

I hadn't actually thought about this before. What if everything changed for the worse, and you ended up alone, or with fake mates, doing coke by yourself at 4am.on a Monday night and generally turning into a right cnut.

Fcuk it. I'm not doing the lotto. I won't risk it.
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 19:39   #66
dreamers75

Did the lotto in Offaly today, so yeah its in the bag.
19-09-2019, 19:51   #67
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
You'd be crazy to keep that kind of money in cash. I assume the Lotto advises people to buy into German Bunds, which although it has negative yield, offers stability that cash deposits cannot. Even with the DGS.

I hate credit cards, I refuse to own one. But if I won the lottery, I think I'd probably keep a relatively small amount of cash on deposit for emergencies, and just rely credit.
NZ bonds have a positive interest rate. only a little over 1% but better than nothing.
19-09-2019, 19:59   #68
Alexa, Play Liveline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
NZ bonds have a positive interest rate. only a little over 1% but better than nothing.
Would you trust them with 190-odd million though?
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 20:02   #69
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Would you trust them with 190-odd million though?
Certainly not all of it. they do have a AA rating though
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 20:04   #70
Permabear II

German 10-year government bonds are now yielding minus 0.70 percent. Hardly an attractive alternative.
19-09-2019, 20:24   #71
Alexa, Play Liveline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permabear II View Post
German 10-year government bonds are now yielding minus 0.70 percent. Hardly an attractive alternative.
Clearly it is. A negative yield indicates that it's trading at a premium.
19-09-2019, 20:28   #72
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamers75 View Post
Did the lotto in Offaly today, so yeah its in the bag.
If you win , you could probably go back and buy Offaly , might have some change left too.
19-09-2019, 20:29   #73
Ubbquittious

What would happen if you did try to transfer the whole amount into Doneraile credit union? Would the building explode leaving a smouldering gap of rubble on the street and the millions forever lost?
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2019, 20:29   #74
squawker

have lots of beer and a party at the weekend, drive my car and abandon it outside lotto headquarters

get the money sorted with an advisor and off to the airport

oh before I go, head into work and take a big sh1te on my managers Laptop
19-09-2019, 20:32   #75
valoren

Cash Dividend paying companies.
3.5% average return say.
Go through your house and make a list of the products in it. Spend a day around town making note of companies. Invest in those.

You'd get 5.6 million after withholding tax on 190 million. Basically a lotto win every year for life.

Post offices? Government bonds? Credit unions? You'd be one of the richest people in the world. Shell companies ftw

Last edited by valoren; 19-09-2019 at 20:38.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion