Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Colder Thursday - Wintry Showers/Snow to High Ground

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

pad199207 wrote: »
    Cold rain and bitter cold? Can’t think of anything worse tbh.
    cold rain and bitter cold. you run to the pub for shelter and heat up and its closed? :pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

There was large clumps of icy rain in that last shower which bodes well for later considering how high the dew point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sleet at about 4 pm in Tralee. Temp approx 6C.

It's cold outside. Glad I got my heating upgraded last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Seriously?

I was kinda taking the piss. Dont like rain at anytime. Though I do like seasonal temps or temps being on the chilly side.

My preferred weather at this time of yr in particular would be a cold frosty high pressure.

A bit of wintryness in precipitation is a bit of a waste of time unless perhaps one lives a few hundred metres asl.

Temp gradually dropping, 3.5c now. I am not sure what the snow line would be? So not sure if it’s worth driving out to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So two things to watch - the snowline falling steadily from now on across the north and northwest. The frontal zones coming in to the west/southwest could also bring some falls of snow inland and particularly higher ground (but not exclusively) after initial rain later on in the night and toward morning. Not certain on that but one to watch.

temp_uk.png

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes also watching the stuff in the southwest could well cause some high ground snow....particularly mountain tops

I fear this is going to be a disappointing one. I just drove up to 350 metres in a shower, surprisingly only sleety rain was falling!

Terrible lapse rates too, from 3.5c at sea level to 1.5c at 350m. So the snow line must be at least 450m!

It is going to take a long time for THAT snow line to drop to low ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Since Met Éireann won't allow posting of their aviation charts, I've made up my own version. Valid at 00Z.

The black dashed lines show the freezing level, in feet. A showery trough lies across Ulster and the northwest, moving eastwards at 20 knots. An occlusion further north moves southeastwards at 20 knots.

The weather shows the coverage of showers and the visibility on the first line, with the types of showers in the second line.

OCNL=Occasional
    ISOL=Isolated

+SHRA=heavy rain showers
    -SHRA=light rain showers
    SHRASN=moderate sleet showers
    SHRAGS=moderate rain/small hail showers
    TSRA=thunderstorms with rain, etc...

534956.png

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I fear this is going to be a disappointing one. I just drove up to 350 metres in a shower, surprisingly only sleety rain was falling!

Terrible lapse rates too, from 3.5c at sea level to 1.5c at 350m. So the snow line must be at least 450m!

The coldest air is not here yet. It will move down after midnight.

Now
    534957.png

Tomorrow morning
    534958.png

• Advertisement

Based on what I have just seen I would say we need a freezing level of 1000 feet minimum for sea level snow.

The air is just too saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Has The Isle of Man shadow been spotted yet, I repeat has The Isle of Man shadow been spotted... :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭highdef

I was actually going to reply to your previous post and estimate a snowline of at least 400m but probably nearer 500m. Depending on where you are in the country (???), by dawn it should be down to about 250/300m if you're in the southwest and about 200m if you are further towards the northwest, perhaps less during heavier precipitation in all areas and less again if you are further inland from western coasts.

GL also beat me to it about the colder air proper not having arrived here yet. I'd take another 100m off those figures regarding the snowline by late tonight/early tomorrow.

highdef wrote: »
    I was actually going to reply to your previous post and estimate a snowline of at least 400m but probably nearer 500m. Depending on where you are in the country (???), by dawn it should be down to about 250/300m if you're in the southwest and about 200m if you are further towards the northwest, perhaps less during heavier precipitation in all areas and less again if you are further inland from western coasts.

GL also beat me to it about the colder air proper not having arrived here yet. I'd take another 100m off those figures regarding the snowline by late tonight/early tomorrow.

I just thought it might be snowing as the temp is 3.5c close to sea level but no. I think the air is saturated meaning the snow level will literally be at the freezing level.

That’s a strange one.
    Snow on the Glenshane Pass is strange? It's often one of the first parts of the island of Ireland to see snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Netweather

Dew points

Sleet getting heavier it would seem

u4LZ1kn.png

This is the sounding for midnight in the north. So I can see why it’s sleeting at 350m. That is a very saturated airmass.

One where the snow level and freezing level are almost equal.

The situation does not change at 6am. So I am thinking no snow below 200metres.

As always the temps are not the issue but the dew point and wet bulb temperature.

Lough Fea station is just south of the Glenshane Pass and more or less at the same altitude. WBT has been hovering around 3 degrees this evening. I definitely would not take radar precip type as gospel. It does not show exactly what's falling right at the surface and is more or less useless. All stations have been reporting rain showers.

534964.PNG

• Advertisement

I am thinking the precipitation is falling as snow about 400-450m.

WBT slowly coming down. Lough Fea now 2.1 C at 9 pm. Still rain reported at all stations.

Belfast Aldergrove's TAF has no mention of snow at all up to 6 pm tomorrow.

534966.png

534967.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

That’s a strange one.

The Glenshane often has snow/sleet considering it's elevation.

Charts continue to show very windy from Friday afternoon.

Winchill making it feel very cold

anim_jes1.gif

anim_kiv2.gif

48-289UK_lll3.GIF

arpegeuk-43-53-0_zxc6.png

The temperature is steady at 3.8c, WB is 2.8c.

I am not very hopeful, I don’t think it is going to happen tonight. It is a very “weak” cold spell for this time of the year, normally we would see snow fall by December.

I need to build a house at 2,000 feet.

Tomorrow, it looks as though the freezing level is 200-400metres in the morning but the showers have mostly disappeared.

So it looks to be a case of the air taking time to dry out. We may see some snow showers in the morning but I don’t think anyone will see anything tonight.

So if you want to see snow go hiking. That’s what I’ll be doing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I am not very hopeful, I don’t think it is going to happen tonight. It is a very “weak” cold spell for this time of the year, normally we would see snow fall by December.

I need to build a house at 2,000 feet.

It's the second day of December. We don't normally get snow this early.

I think almost all posters on this thread have been expecting very little to nothing to occur regarding snowfall for tonight. Also, snow this early into the winter is quite rare away from high ground.

Temps down slightly, wB is 2.1c.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    I think almost all posters on this thread have been expecting very little to nothing to occur regarding snowfall for tonight. Also, snow this early into the winter is quite rare away from high ground.

I expected to see some snow in the early hours tonight as the models pointed that way. It looks touch and go now though.

We need the temps to drop 2c.

Advertisement