Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

People who say soz instead of sorry.

It does annoy me when people abbreviate your name

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

you were right the first time. It is an acronym for before anyone else. I also learned that on University Challenge which makes me feel even older.

Sorry I'm exhausted. Yeah same as what I meant but not exactly what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

The title of this poxy thread every time I see it on the homepage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭On the Beach

Before anyone else. What a load of sh!te. What was wrong with best friend? Wasn't initially enough ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

redt0m wrote: »
    The title of this poxy thread every time I see it on the homepage...

It gets you into the right mood to get involved in it. You have no idea how many mod-hours of brainstorming went into it.

TA my to-do list never gets any shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It gets you into the right mood to get involved in it. You have no idea how many mod-hours of brainstorming went into it.

Mine started as leaving an email in my inbox till I dealt with it - and now I get twitchy if there’s more than double figures!!!

TA - I’m an OCD freak!! And proud!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You should do a 'Done" list, that would make you feel much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Watched a documentary last night called Pirate Treasure Of The Knights Templar on Sky History. I was really looking forward to seeing this as it covers two of my favourite topics, pirates and the Knights Templar.

Although I found it highly convenient that the divers in Madagascar always found an artifact on each dive when the cameras were rolling, what really grated on my nerves was the American "Templar expert". For a Templar expert, he really didn't know much about them. Why couldn't they of gotten Dan Jones to do the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Watched a documentary last night called Pirate Treasure Of The Knights Templar on Sky History. I was really looking forward to seeing this as it covers two of my favourite topics, pirates and the Knights Templar.

Although I found it highly convenient that the divers in Madagascar always found an artifact on each dive when the cameras were rolling, what really grated on my nerves was the American "Templar expert". For a Templar expert, he really didn't know much about them. Why couldn't they of gotten Dan Jones to do the show?

Was Indiana busy or what?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Was Indiana busy or what?

Retired so he is ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

hearing voices from a mental illness when someone is talking to you, so annoying and distracting

going to the trouble of buying tea and coffee for visitors, but then forgetting to offer the visitors the tea or coffee

This one is definitely trivial, but it flipping annoys me.

There is a certain cohort/clique on boards.ie who like to use Joe Duffy speak 'sed' instead of said etc. And using phrases such as 'so to speak' like Joe Duffy does.

Fair enough what is wrong with that you think?

It is the same posters doing it ALL THE ****ING TIME! On a good few threads not just one.

They seem to think it is great gas.
    But all I can think is each one of them needs a good boot up the hole! Cop on!
    How long does an 'in joke' have to go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I have a general hatred of newisms and their toxic effect on language. Things like "hit the ground running" and "thinking outside the box" were sort of first generation toxicity but now there's just no escaping it. People are incapable of speaking without using stupid "office speak". And to my horror, I find myself increasingly having to make more of an effort NOT to use these bástarding phrases. I'll sometimes catch myself saying "in the context of" or "in terms of" when really the context and terms are already very apparent...from the context of the conversation! People talk about "learnings" as if they weren't in school the day we learned to conjugate verbs.

Recently I almost said that something gave me "comfort" and I genuinely wanted to flay myself for it.

I wish the word 'toxic' would revert back to its normal meaning. As in toxic waste and so on. Anyone else who uses it to describe feelings and emotions etc deserves a boot up the hole - as far as I am concerned.

Toxic should be used in science related things only

Plus, I am annoyed now because it is tiring having to give all these theoretical boots in the hole. I need steel toe caps quicker results!

And those really sour sweets

I wish the word 'toxic' would revert back to its normal meaning. As in toxic waste and so on. Anyone else who uses it to describe feelings and emotions etc deserves a boot up the hole - as far as I am concerned.

Plus, I am annoyed now because it is tiring having to give all these theoretical boots in the hole. I need steel toe caps quicker results!

I wish the TA thread would revert back to a time when TAs weren't criticised or used as a basis for other TAs but there you go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Obviously you can't read the OP, take a week off from the thread to consider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My housemate's relentless lobbying to put the Christmas tree up this weekend. It's November, fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My housemate's relentless lobbying to put the Christmas tree up this weekend. It's November, fcuk off.

Normally i would agree,but its been a crap year.Im putting mine up Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

dubstarr wrote: »
    Normally i would agree,but its been a crap year.Im putting mine up Monday.

I got a mini one yesterday in Dunnes with fake snow all over it. It's so pretty. It was only 20 euro. They have really nice fairy lights shaped like little stars. I'd usually wait till early December too but **** it. Mine is more like an ornament than a proper tree but I like it.

TA my really lovely neighbour invited me in for dinner later. He just messaged to say I hope you like goose. I replied mmmm goose my favourite:p and he said oh great, its my first time making it! Noooooo!! Goose? I thought he was joking!! Who in the hell eats goose?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just made some toast.

Last slice of one loaf & one from a new one. They are toasted to different consistencies.

Can't enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

TA twitch in my right eyelid for a number of days now. Its annoying and it makes me look like a crazy lady. Think I need better sleep.

Just made some toast.

Last slice of one loaf & one from a new one. They are toasted to different consistencies.

Can't enjoy them.

:D:D I'll take one off your hands so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

Just stood on a plug.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

gormdubhgorm's threadban lifted after discussions with poster.

Play nice now peeps :)

Porklife wrote: »
    I got a mini one yesterday in Dunnes with fake snow all over it. It's so pretty. It was only 20 euro. They have really nice fairy lights shaped like little stars. I'd usually wait till early December too but **** it. Mine is more like an ornament than a proper tree but I like it.

TA my really lovely neighbour invited me in for dinner later. He just messaged to say I hope you like goose. I replied mmmm goose my favourite:p and he said oh great, its my first time making it! Noooooo!! Goose? I thought he was joking!! Who in the hell eats goose?!!
    It will be an experience anyway! I think it's a nice gamey meat? (I've also never had it lol). Be sure to let us know!

TA I'm five days into my diet and I still haven't lost twenty kilo. What is taking so long...

1) Annoying people uninentionally:

Causing annoyance to person(s) unintentionally and then having to explain it. And feeling like a bit of an eejit for not thinking in first place.

2) Getting used to different technology:

Using a second hand Macbook given to me by the brother. I was a long time windows user. Feel like a right auld fella having to get used to it. Lots of 'feck it's' and 'jayus's'.

Even the previous sentence 'eejit' or 'jayus' was going to be auto corrected into something else. Closing a window and so on still foreign to me. Brain looking for windows start menu. Scrolling is even full of wonderful mysteries, copying links, and learning different shortcuts. Plus all average Mac users must have 20/20 eyesight the text is tiny! Zoom command + a few times needed!
    Don't start me on getting used to the right key!

Reading an article online about losing weight and one of the tips is to drink more water (duh) but it actually refers to "getting enough aqua on the reg". FFS.

Why is it anytime I eat pizza the roof of my mouth is in bits afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Antares35 wrote: »
    Reading an article online about losing weight and one of the tips is to drink more water (duh) but it actually refers to "getting enough aqua on the reg". FFS.

Was the article written by Kenny Powers? :)

TA...pretty much everything at the moment, even my own reflection. Every time I pass a mirror I roll my eyes. I'm finding it hard to think of anything that doesn't irritate the hell out of me at the moment. Tried to open a packet of buttons a minute ago and couldn't so ****ed them against the wall and genuinely felt angry at them like they'd personally wronged me. I almost want to stand on a plug just so I can scream at it and feel justified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement