Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of screw head is this?

• 07-08-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me what type of screw head is this. what head bit I need to remove it?
    It’s on a casing to an old oil boiler. Taught is was a torque head but there is a centre bit in the middle of the screw preventing the torque bit fitting in.

Any help thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kealyboy

See pictures thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Kealyboy wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me what type of screw head is this. what head bit I need to remove it?
    It’s on a casing to an old oil boiler. Taught is was a torque head but there is a centre bit in the middle of the screw preventing the torque bit fitting in.

Any help thanks

An invisible one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's a torx anti-tamper/security screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Torx security head screw,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

First picture won't load for me and second is too blurry but from your description sounds like a security torx, you can get bits with a hole to allow for the centre pin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

See pictures thanks

Don't know if this actually works as I've never tried it but I presume you don't have the correct tools to open it.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Removing-Security-Torx-Star-Screw-with-a-Flathea/

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kealyboy

Can I buy the correct bit to remove screw in a hardware store?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Can I buy the correct bit to remove screw in a hardware store?

Woodies have them. Not sure all hardware stores would stock them though

https://www.woodies.ie/tactix-torx-key-long-9-piece-tamper-proof-1114459

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

aido79 wrote: »
    Don't know if this actually works as I've never tried it but I presume you don't have the correct tools to open it.

I have, and it does ... if you have exactly the right flat screwdriver to hand.

I found it more convenient, though, to take a notch out of a wider screwdriver just enough to accommodate the security thingy. I repurposed one socket-set bit from the many that I've accumulated over the years. Wish I could find something similar to do with all the cross-heads!

Advertisement