Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance write off?

• 24-07-2020 9:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a neighbour who is very particular about his cars. While driving on a motorway a cement mixer truck sprayed the front of his immaculate Nissan Leaf with cement including chippings and wet cement. All recorded on dash cam and now it is at insurance settling.

As he is very particular about his car, the roof, bonnet and bumper need to be all resprayed and the wings blended in. The two headlamps also sustained light chips on cloer inspection. All this comes to 4,850 euro plus 100 for a professional valet to clean most of the cement off.

He is worried now that his immaculate 2014 Nissan Leaf SVE/TEKNAwith only 35k will be written off as it took him ages to find as Leaf Spy stats say it was only Quick charged 26 times and State of Health is 96%. He is also worried should it be written off the settlement amount will not reflect what it'll cost to buy another one.

To me, by looking at it I barely notice anything other than stone chips and 2 patches of rough paint on the roof and 1 patch on the bonnet. He now has a motor assessor coming to inspect it next week. I understand insurers use a 60% of car value to determine a car write off, but this Leaf isn't even dented just needs painting.

My question is, Can you force the insurer to pay him the repair cost other than losing his Leaf? What value might the insurers offer? Similar Leafs are priced widely from 8.5 to 11.5 euro for lower spec Leafs. If the Leaf is written off does he get a say in buying it back from the insurance company?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hi all,

I have a neighbour who is very particular about his cars. While driving on a motorway a cement mixer truck sprayed the front of his immaculate Nissan Leaf with cement including chippings and wet cement. All recorded on dash cam and now it is at insurance settling.

As he is very particular about his car, the roof, bonnet and bumper need to be all resprayed and the wings blended in. The two headlamps also sustained light chips on cloer inspection. All this comes to 4,850 euro plus 100 for a professional valet to clean most of the cement off.

He is worried now that his immaculate 2014 Nissan Leaf SVE/TEKNAwith only 35k will be written off as it took him ages to find as Leaf Spy stats say it was only Quick charged 26 times and State of Health is 96%. He is also worried should it be written off the settlement amount will not reflect what it'll cost to buy another one.

To me, by looking at it I barely notice anything other than stone chips and 2 patches of rough paint on the roof and 1 patch on the bonnet. He now has a motor assessor coming to inspect it next week. I understand insurers use a 60% of car value to determine a car write off, but this Leaf isn't even dented just needs painting.

My question is, Can you force the insurer to pay him the repair cost other than losing his Leaf? What value might the insurers offer? Similar Leafs are priced widely from 8.5 to 11.5 euro for lower spec Leafs. If the Leaf is written off does he get a say in buying it back from the insurance company?

If the repair cost is greater than the value of the car, then the most he'll get is the value of the car. Question for the insurer really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

MarkR wrote: »
    If the repair cost is greater than the value of the car, then the most he'll get is the value of the car. Question for the insurer really.

I thought it was if the repair cost was 60% greater than the value of the car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement