Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrics required for automated gate

• 17-07-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

thinking of having a gate installed, and want to have it automated. There are lights outside on the lawn area - could i run a connection from those to power the gates, or would a new connection from the house be required?

thanks in advance - and if anyone has tips for what to look out for in automated gates - appreciated too!

SparrowHawk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Hi All,

thinking of having a gate installed, and want to have it automated. There are lights outside on the lawn area - could i run a connection from those to power the gates, or would a new connection from the house be required?

thanks in advance - and if anyone has tips for what to look out for in automated gates - appreciated too!

SparrowHawk

New suply from house protection by a rcbo
    Run two cat 6 with it while your at it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Hi All,

SparrowHawk

Many underground gate motors are 600W each, they would also need to be RCD protected. So while the existing lighting cable could potentially form part of a solution depending on the setup you have, it would be much better to install a dedicated supply from your consumer unit or an existing sockets circuit.

One of the big failures with automated gate systems is water ingress. If the controller(s) are to be located at the gate rather than in a closeby building, it would be a good idea to install them within an overall enclosure, even if they are themselves IP rated.

Safety is a significant consideration with automated gates. There are several different safety feature options depending on situation and risk. It is worth discussing these with the proposed installer and considering yourself the level of any residual risk. Again weather proofing all photocells, safety edges that form part of these is paramount for long term trouble free operation.

If you are using underground motors, which are usually neater, these need drainage installed to stop the box filling with water.

Regarding an installer, keep in mind that there is some degree of civil works in installing the motors etc. Not all alarm installers are suitably equipped or experienced for this so possibly look for someone who has a good track record in installing complete gate systems.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^ well said, great post.
    I always found the most challenging part was the mechanical aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Thanks all, for the responses - really do appreciate it!

A couple of follow ups, if I may...
    @JL Spark - why the 2 x Cat cables? Understand it would help with network / remote access - is it one per controller?
    @ Lenar3556 - my driveway is wide - close to 8 meters side to side :eek: Assuming that I'd need two gates - that means two controllers?

thanks again

SparrowHawk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

so are you thinking gate(s) the full width, I think you will be looking at a slider

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, for the responses - really do appreciate it!

A couple of follow ups, if I may...
    @JL Spark - why the 2 x Cat cables? Understand it would help with network / remote access - is it one per controller?
    @ Lenar3556 - my driveway is wide - close to 8 meters side to side :eek: Assuming that I'd need two gates - that means two controllers?

thanks again

SparrowHawk

No, one controller does one pair of gates. But 8M is considerable for swing gates. There are motor systems on the market to do it but are expensive.

Are these going to be steel gates? They would need to be well constructed having regard to the span.

As Calahonda suggested, the alternative would be a single sliding gate. From an engineering perspective these are superior but may not be what you are after at a domestic house - will look very different to a set of swing gates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

8m is very, very wide. I wonder if the units are incorrect and it is actually 8 feet ?

Units are correct :(
    Thinking of gates circa 7 metres - with a 1 metre (inc. posts) for a pedestrian gate.
    Am looking at wooden swing gates - have too much hedging / plants to accommodate a slider

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

You'd definitely need some fairly heft motors for that size, probably a support caster on the leading edge too. Been a long time since I did any automatic gates, so I'm open to correction.

Best thing to do is to find a good reputable company as others have said.
    Tudor Engineers in Dublin have been in the game for years and would at the very least definitely be able to give you some advice.

Ideally, you'd want a duct from the house to the gate post with power and a couple of cat 5 cables sleeved in copex through it as well. You'd also need a second duct going across the opening to bring power to the second motor and cabling for a photocells/safety strips.

Having the two cat 5 cables will allow for an intercom system and a spare, it's always better to have a spare pulled in at the start. The likes of remotes and keypads can be installed straight into the controller so you wouldn't have to worry too much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

As Calahonda suggested, the alternative would be a single sliding gate. From an engineering perspective these are superior but may not be what you are after at a domestic house - will look very different to a set of swing gates.

Just wondering.. could he actually make a standard traditional gate design BUT weld them togther within a slide frame bottom and sides yet still have a domestic arched standard gate design look. So it would look like your traditional standard decorative gate but slide as opposed to swing :cool:

• Advertisement

Just wondering.. could he actually make a standard traditional gate design BUT weld them togther within a slide frame bottom and sides yet still have a domestic arched standard gate design look. So it would look like your traditional standard decorative gate but slide as opposed to swing :cool:

Ya, I’ve seen that done - but you can usually see what was done and it just doesn’t have the same feel!
    Plus he needs 8 metres to one side of the opening for the thing to slide into, which I think he said he didn’t have.

Yeah too much hedging on both sides so not enough room to slide. Plus kinda prefer swinging style to sliding

Advertisement