Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship League - ITV4 June 1st-11th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Genghis

Interesting article about the behind-the-scenes preps / differences for this tournament.

https://wst.tv/snooker-returns-the-broadcasters/

Anyone watching today? Some good action, Ken doing fairly well and in with a great chance of moving to round 2. Ashley Carty, the man he must beat, also looked good. Robinson rusty in places, just never fully flowed.

Ken unlucky last night - so near yet so far - but Carthy the deserved winner of the match and group. Great entertainment value past midnight, Ken's 90 break in frame 3 was especially good.

Dave is very good on comms today.

Was certain Ken would win when he did the 90, felt like the tide had turned and his experience would rout Cartys nerves.

But fair play to Carty, and well deserved. He was cool and collected playing Robinson earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,934 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Genghis wrote: »
    Was certain Ken would win when he did the 90, felt like the tide had turned and his experience would rout Cartys nerves.

But fair play to Carty, and well deserved. He was cool and collected playing Robinson earlier in the day.

Yeah fair play to carty. He did great to best Robertson even if Robbo wasn't on brilliant form.

That Cary fella carrieshilself like he's Deeping shocking pressure. Robertson and Ken walk around looking physically relaxed. Carty looks like he's hunched and tight with nerves.

• Advertisement

What's the story with this Sam Craigie? He just knocked in a lovely century in the first frame again Dale. Looked really fluent and played some left handed shots like they were nothing.

I've never seen him before but that was some first impression. I'll keep an eye out for him in the future .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

What's the story with this Sam Craigie? He just knocked in a lovely century in the first frame again Dale. Looked really fluent and played some left handed shots like they were nothing.

I've never seen him before but that was some first impression. I'll keep an eye out for him in the future .

In a group with Ball run, Ronnie and Chandler in the next round which looks like an interesting group. This will let us know how good Sam Craigie is. He played very well yesterday evening. Great decision by ITV4 to switch game.

Peter File wrote: »
    In a group with Ball run, Ronnie and Chandler in the next round which looks like an interesting group. This will let us know how good Sam Craigie is. He played very well yesterday evening. Great decision by ITV4 to switch game.

Yeah that's a tough group. Doherty asked if he's that good then why is he so far down the rankings. Probably the best potting play I've seen all tournament. There wasn't much/any safety or tactical play in that match. Dale only scored 9 points.

I'm excited to see how he does. He struck the ball with such conviction and had some really lovely positional play. I'll be supporting him today.

On that point, do you have a favourite player or a few favourites or do you pick who you'd prefer to win each game as it's happening?

I have loads of criteria for picking who I'd like to win and they often come into conflict. So I just feel who I want to win as the match progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Kens spot on about Craigie, very talented but he's going on 10 years a pro now and the rankings dont lie. Just a tough game that will prey on any weakness, had eyesight trouble for a couple of years and the sport can really get you down when you're losing to players you know you should be beating. Be good if he could turn the corner because he's definitely got the game to make it. Dave Gilbert should offer some inspiration for guys like that.

• Advertisement

On that point, do you have a favourite player or a few favourites or do you pick who you'd prefer to win each game as it's happening?

I have loads of criteria for picking who I'd like to win and they often come into conflict. So I just feel who I want to win as the match progresses.

I like fast atacking players so until recently would have favoured Ronnie but seeing him not try in a lot of games over the last 2 seasons has turned me off him. Trump, Allen, Wilson, Bing Tao and the Thai player thepchai Un Nooh are the ones I currently enjoy watching.

Kens spot on about Craigie, very talented but he's going on 10 years a pro now and the rankings dont lie. Just a tough game that will prey on any weakness, had eyesight trouble for a couple of years and the sport can really get you down when you're losing to players you know you should be beating. Be good if he could turn the corner because he's definitely got the game to make it. Dave Gilbert should offer some inspiration for guys like that.

Maybe because there are no fans watching in the venue is helping him as well so no nerves etc so it feels more like a practice match

Maybe because there are no fans watching in the venue is helping him as well so no nerves etc so it feels more like a practice match

And I read that Mark Allen said he's dreading the world championship without fans. There could be something in it.

Could well be alright. Probably first time in ages a guy like craigie has turned up for a tournament and doesnt have to worry about ranking points or keeping his tour card, none of that is at stake. Just go out and play and see how far you go. Might well be liberating.

I'm catching up on tofays action and this Chandler fella is giving Ronnie a run for his money in the safety play in the second frame. That was genuinely fascinating. Lots of shots were both very creative and on the money.

Also in the intro they talked about Craigie last night and how good he was and his progress. Neil Foulds said he can progress "if he keeps his nose clean". I wondered if thst was instructive or even a Freudian slip. Wonder if his problem is in his behaviour whether drugs or drink or just needing to grow up and be a professional.

I could be reading way too much into it.

I've never heard anything bad but he did definitely have a habit of turning up late for matches and forfeiting frames, including one this season where he missed the match entirely. That might suggest an alcohol issue but not sure, I'd guess that's what fouldsy was referring to anyway.

I've never heard anything bad but he did definitely have a habit of turning up late for matches and forfeiting frames, including one this season where he missed the match entirely. That might suggest an alcohol issue but not sure, I'd guess that's what fouldsy was referring to anyway.

Fair enough. It could be something like that or maybe he's just not been very professional. In any case I'm just going from a single comment Foulds made and I don't want to cast aspersions on Craigie. I'd love to see him kick on and put in performances like last night, more often

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie been in god mode in this tournament. Tournament pot success must be about 97%.

A draw for Craigie, if he can win this frame will make for a very interesting conclusion to this group. Hope he manages it.
    Then let the best man win.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ronnie been in god mode in this tournament. Tournament pot success must be about 97%.

Or not.

• Advertisement

The commentators said what you said here. They said he needs a coach then they said he actually doesn't need a coach, he needs someone to make sure he turns up to matches and tournaments on time and make sure he becomrs more professional.

It sounded like he needs a manager/personal assistant to do his admin, book his flights and accommodation, travel to events and make him focus on practice and playing matches.

I don't know why I'm so interested in him. I think I just love the way he hits the ball with such conviction. He wasn't as good today as he was last night but he was still good. He's playing with great ambition.

He seems to wait until all the reds are gone before touching the pack, which is a risky strategy. He'll need to work on cannoning the pack to dislodge reds.

In the second frame against Chandler there was a safety exchange which he was never in control of, but he got a chance at a pot and took it.

He's not perfect, he's not even great but I like him.

The commentators said what you said here. They said he needs a coach then they said he actually doesn't need a coach, he needs someone to make sure he turns up to matches and tournaments on time and make sure he becomrs more professional.

It sounded like he needs a manager/personal assistant to do his admin, book his flights and accommodation, travel to events and make him focus on practice and playing matches.

I don't know why I'm so interested in him. I think I just love the way he hits the ball with such conviction. He wasn't as good today as he was last night but he was still good. He's playing with great ambition.

He seems to wait until all the reds are gone before touching the pack, which is a risky strategy. He'll need to work on cannoning the pack to dislodge reds.

In the second frame against Chandler there was a safety exchange which he was never in control of, but he got a chance at a pot and took it.

He's not perfect, he's not even great but I like him.

Not watching much, but saw a bit of his match v ballrun earlier and he was decent. I always wonder what type of set up a lot of these lower ranked guys have, re coaching, practice, psychology etc. It's so important, yet i imagine if you're struggling and not earning, it's difficult to have a very professional back up team. Unless you get lucky with sponsorship. Look at judd, no issues with money and it still took him a decade to get it all in place. Tough sport to make the breakthrough.

Very nervy on the last day. Some scrappy frames. Bingham just missed an almost unmissable blue into the centre pocket.

Just like Dennis Taylor will never be forgotten for his WC win on the black; Eddie Charlton's name will keep ringing out. Always apt to be mentioned when a fluke occurs. Just like that last frame when Woolaston got an outrageous fluke on the pink and went on to make a total clearance.

Well done to Luca Brecel. A lot to contend with, what with the travelling and the days spent quarantined. His return to form one of the highlights of the tournament. The talented and entertaining Sam Craigie showing what he's capable of is what I'll remember best. The players searching under the table for the equipment was fun too. Hopefully we've seen the end of that along with empty arenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭fran38

Lovely clearances by Wooleston in the final. I thought he was going to do it. Talented for sure but you've got to think that was hes best chance of a ranking title.

Fair play to Luca. Really enjoyable tournament even if the snooker wasn't always the best. Really like the league format where you get to see each player 3 times.

Also came across this article about Sam Craigie. If this article is an accurate reflection of what he said then it's fair to assume he's an idiot and that's why he hasn't progressed. Still a talented player and always a threat. Hope he can get some guidance to help him progress.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/12/sam-craigie-hits-back-pathetic-comments-daft-ronnie-osullivan-championship-league-run-12844305/amp/

^^^^^

Per that article I reckon a lot of the top players have someone to get them out of bed...

Seems to be a lot of the lower - ranked players are out there on their own. Not really an
    excuse for a professional but having a team or a manager/coach certainly helps.

I didn't hear Ronnie sniffling myself but I was only watching on telly.

I didn't hear Ronnie sniffling myself but I was only watching on telly.

I noticed it. It was really odd but it only seemed to last a frame or so. Guy comes across like he has a major attitude problem. Probably explains a lot about why he's languishing down the rankings.

• Advertisement

Yeah it does seem that way. In hindsight I think the commentators were doing their best to not actually say he has a bad attitude and it holds him back. None of the commentators mentioned alcohol but he seemed to think that's what they were alluding to.

In any case, a bloke who was clever and had a good attitude would have taken the compliments (there were loads) and built suspense about his future performances, made himself sem like a good brand ambassador and look to get some fans looking forward to seeing him next time and get some sponsors.

I often think these lads are a lot more than snooker players. The bigger players have staff to do everything else. The smaller players are also their own coach, secretary, manager, sort out their own sponsorship, they have to manage their own small business (there self-employed so accounting and managing tax, money etc). If that stuff doesn't suit them, they'll struggle. If they're not very smart or confident at the business dealings, they'll probably struggle on the table compared to a player who is naturally adept at the business side or has staff to do it for them.

Advertisement