Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greatest chins ever

• 19-04-2020 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Which fighters had the best chin's in boxing history?

Personally, I think Hagler had the best chin I've ever seen. The punches Hearns hit him with in the 1st minute of their bout would have left anyone else unconscious.

Eubank is also worth a mention, he was as tough as nails.

Ali also had one of the best chins ever.

Lamotta too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Toney in the reckoning as he fought all the way from MW to HW, and took some licks..

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

walshb wrote: »
    Toney in the reckoning as he fought all the way from MW to HW, and took some licks..

Good shout... Wayne McCullough also worth a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Oliver McCall

Throw in GGG, Ray Mercer, Oliver McCall and Chris Eubank..

Throw in GGG, Ray Mercer, Oliver McCall and Chris Eubank..

David Tua's chin was pretty solid too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Jimmy Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

At the weight and as much as I dislike him, Mayweather has to be mentioned. His agility and defensive positioning saved him most of the time but any time he did get tagged (the Mosley one answered my questions about his chin) he came through it solidly.

GGG, Eubank, Froch?, Holyfield all probably deserve a mention. Vitali Klitschko?

Toney is definitely an all time contender.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Canelo's is pretty solid as well.

Mike Tyson and his 20 inch shock absorber, of course!!

Amir Khan :p

• Advertisement

A couple of more historic contenders are George Chuvalo and Jake La Motta

David Tua's chin was pretty solid too

Twas.

He was dropped and stopped by Felix Savon in the amateurs..short right hand.....looked all over the shop.

paddythere wrote: »
    Which fighters had the best chin's in boxing history?

Personally, I think Hagler had the best chin I've ever seen. The punches Hearns hit him with in the 1st minute of their bout would have left anyone else unconscious.

Eubank is also worth a mention, he was as tough as nails.

Ali also had one of the best chins ever.

Lamotta too.

Just on this...

Not that easy to see and assess and evaluate the type shots Tommy landed really clean...

Tommy was a very good hitter, but not so much past 154 lbs. I don’t think, for example, that he hits harder and heavier than a real big MW like Gerald McClellan..

How heavy and clean were the shots in that war? I never really got to see them clean and analysed and slowed down..

Just on this...

Not that easy to see and assess and evaluate the type shots Tommy landed really clean...

Tommy was a very good hitter, but not so much past 154 lbs. I don’t think, for example, that he hits harder and heavier than a real big MW like Gerald McClellan..

How heavy and clean were the shots in that war? I never really got to see them clean and analysed and slowed down..

Not sure I'd really agree with that. Hearns moved from welterweight all the way up to cruiserweight and was KO'ing guys the whole way. Fair enough McClellan was probably a harder hitter at middle but he was harder hitter than just about anybody EVER at middle.

As for the Hagler Hearns fight. Hearns caught him with a few clean shots in the first 30 seconds where you could see he was putting everything he had into them. If you watch the fight you can see Hearns was pretty much exhausted after a couple of minutes as he basically went all out to knock Hagler out and he never even really hurt him, it was amazing.

Not sure I'd really agree with that. Hearns moved from welterweight all the way up to cruiserweight and was KO'ing guys the whole way. Fair enough McClellan was probably a harder hitter at middle but he was harder hitter than just about anybody EVER at middle.

As for the Hagler Hearns fight. Hearns caught him with a few clean shots in the first 30 seconds where you could see he was putting everything he had into them. If you watch the fight you can see Hearns was pretty much exhausted after a couple of minutes as he basically went all out to knock Hagler out and he never even really hurt him, it was amazing.

I think the best shot that Hearns landed was the one that damaged/broke the right hand, and it actually kind of slipped off Marvin's head. It wasn't a clean shot to the jaw or chin. That's likely why it was damaged, it hitting the skull of Hagler...It's the shot where Hearns has his back to the camera and his back is close to the ropes. He kind of spun Hagler a bit.

Not saying he didn't hit Marvin hard, but I always felt that this fight was a bit exaggerated to bolster the claim on Hagler's chin; I mean, he hit Duran harder and cleaner in 1984....now there was a clean right to the jaw...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I was going to say Jimmy Hill and Bruce Forsyth, then I saw this was a boxing thread !

(Sorry, couldn’t resist )

trashcan wrote: »
    I was going to say Jimmy Hill and Bruce Forsyth, then I saw this was a boxing thread !

What about Desperate Dan?

I think the best shot that Hearns landed was the one that damaged/broke the right hand, and it actually kind of slipped off Marvin's head. It wasn't a clean shot to the jaw or chin. That's likely why it was damaged, it hitting the skull of Hagler...It's the shot where Hearns has his back to the camera and his back is close to the ropes. He kind of spun Hagler a bit.

Not saying he didn't hit Marvin hard, but I always felt that this fight was a bit exaggerated to bolster the claim on Hagler's chin; I mean, he hit Duran harder and cleaner in 1984....now there was a clean right to the jaw...

I know the one your talking about and it looked pretty solid to me. He also landed 3 or 4 other clean right hands in that exchange. For me, Hearns would've knocked any other middleweight down with them bombs while he completely fresh like he was there.

trashcan wrote: »

And I was going to say Lee Chin until I saw it was boxing.

I know the one your talking about and it looked pretty solid to me. He also landed 3 or 4 other clean right hands in that exchange. For me, Hearns would've knocked any other middleweight down with them bombs while he completely fresh like he was there.

I am not aware if there is any slowed down clear footage of the shots, apart from the replays of the shots on the actual fight; but I do think some shots were kind of partially blocked with Marvin's gloves...

Anyway, it was a real fight that showed Tommy's vulnerabilities....for a fighter I admire, he had clear weaknesses that really cost him. He was great mid to long range, but he never really had that survival instinctual game on the inside. He either beat you, or you beat him type.....sure, he survived some scary moments through his career, (survive being the word), but he always looked vulnerable when he was forced to fight hard in close, or when hit hard and in trouble....

There was suggestions that he may have beaten Hagler had he not broken the hand.....not a chance... Hagler would have simply broken him down and eaten him alive....because Marvin brought real heat, that Tommy's vulnerabilities could not avoid....

I'd make a few MWs and SMWs favorites over him for these very reasons....

Toney eats him alive. Eubank knocks him out. McClellan knocks him out. McCallum breaks him late stoppage.

Roy Jones would be interesting, because Roy's chin is not getting a grade A from me, and I think Tommy could find it....Roy could KO Tommy, that is for sure, but if it goes to points (which I believe it does not with the others), then Hearns can absolutely have his hand raised. Tall, rangey, fast, great outside boxer.....and carries enough power to really hurt Jones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Good shout... Wayne McCullough also worth a mention

Absolutely, the Packet Racket took a fair few batterings and stayed standing even at the very end of his career.

Absolutely, the Packet Racket took a fair few batterings and stayed standing even at the very end of his career.

That sounds like someone best known for always eating crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Marcos Maidana is tough.

blade1 wrote: »
    Canelo's is pretty solid as well.

If I mentioned Canelo, I should have also included GGG.

George Chuvalo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Rocky Marciano
    Steve Collins

Muhammad Ali took some big shots especially later on in his career.

There really is several award/layers/levels to a good chin..

Best way to assess is for single power shot absorption....

This category is the real test...

For me there are a handful in this category...those who were never really affected/troubled/proper dropped by heavy shots..

And also, I think the HWs need to be separated from the rest, as they are taking shots across any weight class, really....from 175 + lbs upwards; the CW division, of course came in in the late 1970s to split this....

HWs: Chuvalo, McCall, Tyson, Mercer, Vitali stand out here for me.....great at absorbing power shots and remaining there and lucid and ready to fight. Just physiologically designed to take a helluva punch.

Below HW I am thinking Hagler and Eubank and McCullough and Juan Laporte and Mexican, Marcus Villisana as great absorbers' of power shots. Sal Sanchez comes to mind as well.

Juan Laporte gets my nod in the lower weight categories....those below welter. Villisana a close second, who may have taken more flush shots that Juan, but I don't think ever was knocked down.

All names mentioned get grade A for me....

Holyfield could also take a beating and keep coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Audley Harrison deserves a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Vitali Klitschko deserves a mention, he went his entire career without being knocked down in the heavyweight division. That's impressive even if the overall standard was down on the previous decade.

Advertisement