Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can't we make the reagent here?

• 09-04-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭

Why can't the Irish pharma sector and all the chemistry grads, academics and chemical engineers make us some reagent in our time of need.

Are there any Walter Whites in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yes, I was aware of this. This is a lysis buffer (I think it is used to break open the virus to enable it to be tested) and I'm confident that it is the real deal. However, while this is in short supply it is not what is currently holding up the testing.

The reagent needed is used later in the actual testing part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Lysis buffer is the easiest Reagent to make, but there are other Reagents such as Primer/Probes, Magnetic Beads, Diluent, Mmix and controls. This not the stuff you can cook up in your garden shed, it’s usually made by the instrument manufacturer or maybe 3rd Party for small batch for RUO.

Making this stuff for Clinical use if it’s not 100% right could mean a false result.

Advertisement