Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZX Spectrum NEXT in the field

• 17-02-2020 6:17pm

An original rubber keyboard I learned basic on.
    While there is a mouse port it's a PS 2 port(for younger boardsies this is not usb) , so ye'll have to paddle your own canoes to get one.
    The other differences while having a proper keyboard and SD card slot is that it has 3 soundchips, of the same single unit type that was present on the 228k.

I think the spectrum next is the hardware emulator I'll aim for. How about other retro fans ?
    Don't mention the Spectrum Vega again in this thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm waiting for the accelerated version. (hopefully only a few more weeks away). There's been the odd quality control issue in the first lot delivered but nothing major so I'm still hopeful it'll be a great little device.

Still loads of of ps2 mice from Chinese sites for a couple of quid, or adapters.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Ive been waiting for this to..... I plan to buy it and use it productively fo my work and for games hohohohoho ;)

I Had two Spectrums growing up, a +2 and a +2A. I don't don't have them anymore though. I sadly sold them on adverts years ago.

It is great that we can soon go out and buy a brand new ZX Spectrum again, I think it's terrific !

Is there a conventional web browser on the Next ? I haven't seen any info about it anywhere ? Can you connect a pointing device to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you have to use a PS/2 mouse or pick up a usb adapter

Skerries wrote: »
    you have to use a PS/2 mouse or pick up a usb adapter

Can it be used as a conventional desktop computer though with access to the internet, and to use word processing programs ? All I have seen was a very traditional looking Spectrum home screen. As cool as this is, i would like to actually use it as a daily machine for applications to.

Now that this thing is out I need to understand it's limitations.

mondeo wrote: »
    Can it be used as a conventional desktop computer though with access to the internet, and to use word processing programs ?

Not a prayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Can it be used as a conventional desktop computer though with access to the internet, and to use word processing programs ? All I have seen was a very traditional looking Spectrum home screen. As cool as this is, i would like to actually use it as a daily machine for applications to.

Now that this thing is out I need to understand it's limitations.

Have you taken a look at the specs?

It would be like trying to browse the internet with a calculator.

Processor: Z80 on FPGA SLX16, Normal and Turbo modes.
    Memory: 1Mb RAM (expandable to 2Mb internally)
    Video: Hardware sprites, 256 colours mode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Really looking forward to my accelerated zx spectrum next if a few weeks. I just hope it gets delivered properly.

Plus is it has an ace REAL Manual!! Haven't had one of those in a long time!!

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to my accelerated zx spectrum next if a few weeks. I just hope it gets delivered properly.

Plus is it has an ace REAL Manual!! Haven't had one of those in a long time!!

Yeah, fastway couriers have delivered some of the Nexts in Ireland. Not who I'd have wanted but hopefully they'll arrive safe and sound.

I think their company is on the spectrum

Yeah, fastway couriers have delivered some of the Nexts in Ireland. Not who I'd have wanted but hopefully they'll arrive safe and sound.

I've had a bad experience with fastway in the past before. I hope it does not happen again in this case!

• Advertisement

I've had a bad experience with fastway in the past before. I hope it does not happen again in this case!

So have I, more than one unfortunately.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you taken a look at the specs?

It would be like trying to browse the internet with a calculator.

Processor: Z80 on FPGA SLX16, Normal and Turbo modes.
    Memory: 1Mb RAM (expandable to 2Mb internally)
    Video: Hardware sprites, 256 colours mode

I'm aware it has a Z80, but I thought it had a more modern processor also? Some sort of a dual setup where it booted into Spectrum mode with the Z80 and some sort of modern desktop environment to with modern hardware. The Z80 was just to guarantee compatibility with all Spectrum titles. I thought I read somewhere there was two different processors ..

I'm aware it has a Z80, but I thought it had a more modern processor also? Some sort of a dual setup where it booted into Spectrum mode with the Z80 and some sort of modern desktop environment to with modern hardware. The Z80 was just to guarantee compatibility with all Spectrum titles. I thought I read somewhere there was two different processors ..

Next is a Spectrum with bells and whistles, but still a Spectrum.

There will be multicore down the line, so the fpga will have different personalities, but they will be Atari 2600, Commodore 64, very old arcade games etc. etc. Even 16 bit would be a challenge for the Next, so unfortunately you aren't going to get the experience you're after.

As you probably know, there is office software for the Spectrum but you'd only use that for the novelty, unless Tasword release an update :)

One thing I'm looking forward to messing with is the way to connect the Next to a video text bbs system (like teletext/ceefax) and download small bits of software and read all the nonsense.

Playing some old spectrum games with a mouse will be interesting too (there's been 20 plus games converted to Kempston mouse which the Next can emulate)

Maybe it was the accelerated version you read about, that includes a Raspberry Pi zero, so dual processor? But as we know, the pi zero is good fun, and will give the Next a few more interesting features, it's not got the grunt to be a usable desktop experience.

Next is a Spectrum with bells and whistles, but still a Spectrum.

There will be multicore down the line, so the fpga will have different personalities, but they will be Atari 2600, Commodore 64, very old arcade games etc. etc. Even 16 bit would be a challenge for the Next, so unfortunately you aren't going to get the experience you're after.

As you probably know, there is office software for the Spectrum but you'd only use that for the novelty, unless Tasword release an update :)

One thing I'm looking forward to messing with is the way to connect the Next to a video text bbs system (like teletext/ceefax) and download small bits of software and read all the nonsense.

Playing some old spectrum games with a mouse will be interesting too (there's been 20 plus games converted to Kempston mouse which the Next can emulate)

Maybe it was the accelerated version you read about, that includes a Raspberry Pi zero, so dual processor? But as we know, the pi zero is good fun, and will give the Next a few more interesting features, it's not got the grunt to be a usable desktop experience.

Tasword, I had this on the Amstrad 6128.... I didn't know they had it on the Spectrum to. Believe it or not Tasword was actually kinda usable, I used it for projects in school back when I was in first year in secondary school.

I may not bother buying the Next now if I cannot use it to access the internet in a traditional way or use a modern word processor on it. It's a lot of money to spend for just playing old skool games. It's still cool though.

I may not bother buying the Next now if I cannot use it to access the internet in a traditional way or use a modern word processor on it. It's a lot of money to spend for just playing old skool games. It's still cool though.

It was never envisaged as doing what you'd want it to do unfortunately. You'd be better off sticking to software emulation on a pc or laptop.

It was never envisaged as doing what you'd want it to do unfortunately. You'd be better off sticking to software emulation on a pc or laptop.

Exactly.. Or buy a broken +2/+3 on ebay and stick a rasberry pi 4 and hack on a mini Bluetooth keyboard into the case of it, it would actually be a functional pysical thing then. Nice little project for myself.

This is actually a good 'first look' video of the spectrum next.

Think I might treat myself to the 8bitdo wireless megadrive pad for it. Have a couple of joysticks but not sure my old hands are able for them now after all these years of d-pads.

Think I might treat myself to the 8bitdo wireless megadrive pad for it. Have a couple of joysticks but not sure my old hands are able for them now after all these years of d-pads.

I have one allready for my megadrive. It's excellent. Definitely recommend.

Getting all the bits and bobs sorted for it's arrival, I still think we're about a month away from getting accelerated, though I'm hoping to be proved wrong.

I'm going down the vga route when it arrives, and unbelievably I couldn't find a vga cable, when I must have had tens of the feckin things over the years. Ordered an in line power switch, have a ps2 mouse, and ordered a +3 tape lead because I still want to load from tape from time to time and apparently that's what the Next uses.

• Advertisement

The different cores for the fpga have started to appear. So far there's the Acorn Atom, Atari 2600, Atari 800xl, Colecovision, NES and MSX1. Moon Cresta and Ms Pacman also. Don't think they all work 100%, and I read that they may need external keyboard rather than the Next keyboard but it's a great start.

I'll be sticking with the Spectrum side of things to start with anyway.

The different cores for the fpga have started to appear. So far there's the Acorn Atom, Atari 2600, Atari 800xl, Colecovision, NES and MSX1. Moon Cresta and Ms Pacman also. Don't think they all work 100%, and I read that they may need external keyboard rather than the Next keyboard but it's a great start.

I'll be sticking with the Spectrum side of things to start with anyway.

I not really interested in the other cores really but the early QL core looks interesting.

I not really interested in the other cores really but the early QL core looks interesting.

The QL passed me by so I'll be looking at that with fresh eyes.

really good and in depth look at the NEXT

Shameless bump of my own thread

https://youtu.be/oQP0jieY7F4

You know, on second thoughts I might actually pick one of these up on the second batch "if I can get one". I have been doing a lot of reading up on it. You cannot get a more authentic sequel then this to my +2. But I do want to try use it for something more then playing games. Would it work with a modern printer I wonder for typing out documents. I know I'm probably stuck with fckn taswrord or Pyraword though. I cannot imagine using them again.

The accelerated version has a rasberry pi zero, does this mean Linux could be installed on it somehow ? Now if I could switch to that for word processing when needed then that would be good enough, then I can switch back to play Power Drift and Tranz AM real easy !

You know, on second thoughts I might actually pick one of these up on the second batch "if I can get one". I have been doing a lot of reading up on it. You cannot get a more authentic sequel then this to my +2. But I do want to try use it for something more then playing games. Would it work with a modern printer I wonder for typing out documents. I know I'm probably stuck with fckn taswrord or Pyraword though. I cannot imagine using them again.

The accelerated version has a rasberry pi zero, does this mean Linux could be installed on it somehow ? Now if I could switch to that for word processing when needed then that would be good enough, then I can switch back to play Power Drift and Tranz AM real easy !

There's going to be a second kickstarter, or you could spend over the odds and get one on ebay.

No one has come up with a way to connect to new printer technology with the Next. The Pi can't become the main system.

You can use Wordstar on CP/M, that's an improvement on Tasword :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Can anyone tell me why this is so expensive for what it is? The FPGA and full sized keyboard? Says £210 for the standard model on the official website which is a little bit about £60 too much in my opinion.

VanZan wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why this is so expensive for what it is? The FPGA and full sized keyboard? Says £210 for the standard model on the official website which is a little bit about £60 too much in my opinion.

Design and tooling of the keyboard are expenses most FPGA projects I've seen don't have. They've spent time and money on the manual and box too. Now whether that makes up any of the notional excess expense is not something anyone else can judge. It's certainly not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Yeah I was about to edit my post. I had an Amstrad CPC 464 growing up and if they did one of those with a nice fancy case/keyboard and FPGA I wouldn't hesitate at £210.

Advertisement