Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There Anybody Out There ....?

• 08-11-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Well?

:confused:

I'd like to talk about Linux, please?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

\o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Stigura wrote: »
    I'd like to talk about Linux, please?
    So... go ahead? Although probably better suited to the Unix forum, unless you specifically talking about the open source aspects of it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

:) Cool! Yo! Okay, straight in; I'm old. I'm Not the sharpest tool in the box. On 7 and despise 10 (Had it, for a brief time)

Tonight, I said to my ~ similarly challenged ~ mate that, sod it; I was Finally going to look into this " Linux ". It's our last hope :(

Googled images, hoping to see what it even looks like? All I got was penguins.

" BIOS " is a word I last heard about twenty years ago. " Command Prompt " terrifies me. I just switch my machine on and type annoying nonsense on a couple of fora.

Boom! And, with that, look, 28064212 comes along, talking right over my head :( I haven't got a clue. Is there any hope for people like me?

I'm seriously wondering how much longer I can stay on line.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

So you're interested in trying Linux? Then yes, the Unix forum is what you want. Linux and Unix don't have exactly the same meaning, but for your purposes, you can consider them to be the same. Ubuntu is one of the most widely-used flavors of Linux, and a good a place as any to start: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop. Read the "From Windows" guide at the bottom first

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

Right. Okay. Thank you very much! :)

It gave me palpitations, even just looking at some of that. But, I see I need a 4GB+ USB Stick? Okay. Cool. I probably have far more GB's available on the couple of sticks I'm using to back stuff up as it is. But, I'd just sooner buy a 5GB, dedicated stick for this.

Believe it or not; This weird little machine of mine doesn't even have a Disc Drive! I haven't played a CD or watched a DVD in a year or two!

See? Ye really are dealing with a cave man here :o But, yeah; Those links look great. Lots of simple info', in small bites. I'll send for a stick, next week. Then get back to all that. Very much obliged. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Whoah!!! Phew! Okay; I've been a very good and busy Stigura. I now have the complete 'Thing' on a third, sacrificial, usb stick :eek:

That'll do, for now!

I'm, literally, so fried now, I'd love nothing more than to hit that button and see what ever it is ye've led me to. I already have this glorious vision of telling a couple of mates of mine; " Come on in! The water's lovely! " :D

But; I got a new phone, just Thursday. Imagine how That's been tormenting me. Now? I'm about to a Richard Burton, in Exorcist 2! After umpteen pints?!

Couple of pints of tea, once I regain consciousness? I'll be up for some of this!

Wish me luck!

Well ..... That was quite the experience!

Fired it up, off my stick? Actually saw the beaver. But, when I clicked on FireFox (My normal browser, happily) nothing happened :confused:

I clicked. Double clicked. Clicked left and right. Nuffn.

Found a search bar. Asked it for " Google "? 'No Results'.

Generally dug about, clicking. Nothing happened.

Tried to leave. Couldn't. Ended up getting the following ~ hope this photo doesn't blow the walls out. I haven't down sized it, lest it make it unreadable:

PB090428.jpg

Absolutely couldn't get off there. Tried Escape. Manically tapped every F button. Ended up having to pull the plug on the machine :(

For disclosure; I can only cite that I appear to have only exactly half the memory it said I need. Can't do much about that, I imagine? Would that have scuppered me?

In conclusion? I Liked what I saw! It didn't scare me at all. And, I'm sure, I could learn my way around it, just like we all learned things like XP, after what ever the one before was.

So, yeah. I'm up for it :) Just don't want to go slinging 7 off here, till I know I can at least get this beaver thing to work. I want a fighting chance.

Most eager for further input. (Dear god; Eager beaver? I don't believe I just said that! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What are the hardware specifications of the PC you are using to boot the USB stick?

CPU, memory, graphics?

Is This it, Johnboy? Otherwise, let me know where to find any more and I will. Thanks :)

Untitled.jpg

Ah! If it might help ....? Back in 2017, I got a 'back up' machine. Never plugged it in. Been sat on a shelf in my work room ever since. My power tools don't die, out there. I'd hope this machine is still okay? I'd be willing to get it out and feed it this beaver thing.

Details from the amazon order state:

" HP dc7900 Desktop Computer - Powerful Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E8400 Processor - 160GB HDD - 4GB Memory (RAM) - DVD MultiPlayer - WiFi Enabled - Windows 7 "

:o Yes. I know; Your phone probably has more power, and is worth more. But, come on lads; I just read a couple of fora and watch Netflix. I need the big screen to see the sub titles. Too deaf now to hear the dialogue.

• Advertisement

Ah! If it might help ....? Back in 2017, I got a 'back up' machine. Never plugged it in. Been sat on a shelf in my work room ever since. My power tools don't die, out there. I'd hope this machine is still okay? I'd be willing to get it out and feed it this beaver thing.

Details from the amazon order state:

" HP dc7900 Desktop Computer - Powerful Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E8400 Processor - 160GB HDD - 4GB Memory (RAM) - DVD MultiPlayer - WiFi Enabled - Windows 7 "

:o Yes. I know; Your phone probably has more power, and is worth more. But, come on lads; I just read a couple of fora and watch Netflix. I need the big screen to see the sub titles. Too deaf now to hear the dialogue.

In your position I would try that HP ...... although the link fails the info in the link provided indicates it is well capable of running a LiveUSB Linux session. (not saying the Atom is not - but I have never played with one :( )

There are hundreds of ISOs for distros out there and it can be difficult at times to find the right fit, out of box, for hardware and personal preferences.

Here is a lightweight ISO that should suit that HP well
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/pclinuxos64-xfce-mini-2019.10.iso

It should work but will have very few applications built in.
    There are larger ISOs which will have more applications buit in.
    Here is a sample of some of those ISOs from PCLinuxOS
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/

If one works then try each in turn to see what you like and do not like.

It is all about the investigation and learning ;)

Should I take it so that the one I have on the stick has somehow 'corrupted', and I should wipe it and, maybe start again with, say, the one I'm DLing as I type? The one ye show above.

I'm certainly extremely happy with what little I saw. Not scary at all :)

Ideally, I'd like to find something that works. Then, I'd happily rip 7 straight out of the HP and live the rest of my life on what ever.

Must say, I've Liked 7. Just never had a problem with it. Never any drama. Ten?! Hateful!

Really looking forward to getting one of these ~ not so scary at all, after all ~ systems running :D

:( Okay. Sorry to be such a PITA ..... I've formatted my stick and DL'd the above thing. I was just sliding it onto the stick when it occurred to me maybe I should click it first?

I clicked it and a box said I didn't have a disc burner :confused: I went and got the first 'Free Disc Burner' on google. Installed / opened. It said I didn't have a disc burner, or some such! Slung That in horror!

Now, I have this " iso " on my desk top and haven't got a clue what to do with it.

I am trying, and I'm willing to keep on trying. I Want this. I'm just out of my depth and need some patient direction, please.

Thanks.

:( Okay. Sorry to be such a PITA ..... I've formatted my stick and DL'd the above thing. I was just sliding it onto the stick when it occurred to me maybe I should click it first?

I clicked it and a box said I didn't have a disc burner :confused: I went and got the first 'Free Disc Burner' on google. Installed / opened. It said I didn't have a disc burner, or some such! Slung That in horror!

Now, I have this " iso " on my desk top and haven't got a clue what to do with it.

I am trying, and I'm willing to keep on trying. I Want this. I'm just out of my depth and need some patient direction, please.

Thanks.

You use a USB 'burner' application ...... similar to burning an ISO to DVD, but for flash sticks.

Rufus for Windows would be one such app that I have heard mentioned (I do not use Windows).

There are a few others also and I am unsure which would be best.

So give Rufus a try!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_(software)

This page might help you

https://mintguide.org/tools/317-make-a-bootable-flash-drive-from-an-iso-image-on-linux-mint.html

and another
    https://www.poftut.com/how-to-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-with-rufus-for-any-os-like-ubuntu-windows/

Of course they might only tend to confuse you :)

I got Rufus (God, it was fast!) No idea what to do with it. So, I tried a d&d of the iso. Now, I'm seeing:

Untitled.jpg

Now, in case ye not familiar with 7? The USB icon, lower left seems to be indicating a DL is taking place. It normally greens from left to right as it progresses. Only, it doesn't look like that green's moving :confused:

Would drag and drop do anything? Or, what Am I supposed to do, please? Rufus doesn't seem to come with any instructions.

Thanks!

Okay. I'm reading the Second link. My head's bursting. But, I Think it'll explain what I need to know. (I can't breathe)

As I said I do not use Win (of any colour) so I have no idea about Win itself or its applications.

From your pic, I would say you possibly need to either plug in the USB stick or if plugged in to select it in the first box.

All hell's letting loose here! LMAO! I've had more pop up boxes than I don't know what! :D

Rufus seems to know what it's doing though. I'm trying to make the best choices of what to click, and it seemed agreeable thus far.

Oh! It's " Copying iso files: 5.7% " now. :) That sounds good. It'll clearly be a little time though.

" No idea about windows "? Wow! Ye lucky sod! It's long since been my dream to get the hell away from micky. Guess the specter of losing 7 has given me that shove ;)

If that works OK for you, you should d/load a few other flavours to try them also ...... maybe while you are playing with the first one :)

81% It's coming! (I don't know what ~ but it is! :D)

Actually; I have a friend who I've always badgered about getting a machine of his own. Last week though, I was screaming at him; " Don't Get A F***ing Computer!!! Ye'll be saddled with 10! "

I was panicking, not knowing what the hell I was gonna do next. And, here we are! :) I'm Really looking forward to cracking this.

Best of all though would be getting sufficiently proficient with it that I could tell Tom to get the same thing. Knowing I could tell him to just ring me, if he got stuck. I could have done that, with 7. He'd only have been watching 'films' anyway! :D

99.9% and, of course, hanging! Tension mounts!

99.9% and, of course, hanging! Tension mounts!

:D:D

That seems to have taken an inordinately long time to create. :(

• Advertisement

Okay! It says " Ready "! What do I do? Is there something on my stick now? :eek:

(Yeah! I really Am too thick to own a computer! LMFAO!)

Okay! It says " Ready "! What do I do? Is there something on my stick now? :eek:

(Yeah! I really Am too thick to own a computer! LMFAO!)

If the burn is complete then you reboot your PC, and select to boot from USB device if that is not the first default.

If not there is usually an 'F' key to press to bring up the boot menu, which should show before Win starts up.
    Else select to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to boot the USB first.

That should get it going.

:eek: O M G!!!!! I'm in somewhere!!! Freaking Me Out! LOL!

Oh! I was about to get a screen grab and show ye the top bar I'm seeing, so ye could tell me where I am? But, I haven't got a clue how to, in here! There's no " Paint " (Cue; Twilight Zone Music!!!)

Ummm ..... I found FireFox ~ I think? And I used that to get here. Then, couldn't remember my password.

Fortunately, I Do remember my Yahoo mailer one. I've got that open now. Got my fresh password for here.

I see pressing the arrow up key, and tapping the '+' doesn't enlarge pages, in here? Nor could I find a way of shrinking the page, trying to get back to my desktop. Weird!

Any idea where I may be, please? I'm seeing nothing which tells me :confused:

:eek: O M G!!!!! I'm in somewhere!!! Freaking Me Out! LOL!

Oh! I was about to get a screen grab and show ye the top bar I'm seeing, so ye could tell me where I am? But, I haven't got a clue how to, in here! There's no " Paint " (Cue; Twilight Zone Music!!!)

Ummm ..... I found FireFox ~ I think? And I used that to get here. Then, couldn't remember my password.

Fortunately, I Do remember my Yahoo mailer one. I've got that open now. Got my fresh password for here.

I see pressing the arrow up key, and tapping the '+' doesn't enlarge pages, in here? Nor could I find a way of shrinking the page, trying to get back to my desktop. Weird!

Any idea where I may be, please? I'm seeing nothing which tells me :confused:

Sounds like you got the default desktop for that version.
    The top bar is similar to the 'normal' bottom bar, just placed up top.
    You can move them arourd to suit youtself should you wish.

If this is what you see then that is the default destop

xfec-mini.png
    upload image

Hovering the mouse pointer over the icons on the bar should indicate their usage.
    The leftmost icon is the menu button.

Any changes you make to that destop will be lost once you reboot it.

EDIT ..... you should see the top right of the Firefox window for the controls ..... roll-up, minimise, max/normalise and kill (x)

This is what it looks like with the panels moved

xfce-mini2.png

That's the one! :D Damn, and I was Literally just about to offload a shot from my camera, to show ye! :D

Now; Must be honest, Johnboy: What ever That was? I didn't like it at all! Yesterday? That beaver thing I ended up on was great! I felt really at home there. This place scared and freaked me.

Most importantly of all though? Again, when I tried to shut down and get out, back to 7? I hit a black screen with a few words, top left. Green " OK ", top right. And I'm Major Tom. Nothing I can do! I seriously don't fancy powering off the machine many times more! :eek:

Thoughts, please? What was That called? What's the beaver one called? How may I get the beaver one, properly?

So many questions, I know :o But, just Think of the karma ye getting! :D Plus; Ye training a disciple here. I'll merrily go forth and tell the people! :cool:

If you had clicked on "guest" which was the user name when running the live session it would have provided options for logging out, rebooting and shut down etc.

The reason I suggested you grab a few is that people have different preferences and that is the reason there are lots of different versions about.

I suggest you try the MATE version from the link I provided you next ...... same procedure ..... download it and put it on the USB stick and boot it.

It might suit you better.

The of course there are the KDE ones ..... which are probably more comfortable for ex-Windows users.
    KDE stands out because it is the most configurable of all ...... some complain about too configurable :D

I do hope you have saved the ISOs you downloaded, so that you can view them each for longer periods and get some 'feel' for Linux and how it might work for you.

This is the MATE desktop followed by the KDE desktop

MATE.png

KDE.png

As you can see all these are themed similarly, because they are from the same distribution.

There are major differences in how the desktop works and the user interaction, so that is where the user should experience several before they make up their minds.

Hope that helps a bit.

If you like the 'retro look' then maybe TDE would suit better :D

TDE.png

Right. Hands up; We'll stop there, for now! :D

My neck hurts. My eyes hurt. My brain hurts! I'm just Too bloody old for so much stimulus at once.

Seriously though; I need a rest from all this. And, I'm damn sure, You must have better ways to spend ye Sunday. (I suspect I'll be going for a snuggle and a snooze with my favorite cuddle pup shortly, anyway. Very late night. Ridiculously early start. I'm shot to hell!)

Please don't think for a minute I'm saying " Thank you and goodbye. " No way! I'm seriously looking forward to coming over. It's just that I'm yawning like a chasm and my eyes are watering. I need to step away and digest all this.

Let's both relax and do something else. I'll sleep on what I've learned and shall be back, tomorrow, with more focused thoughts :)

Deeply grateful for ye patience and understanding. I genuinely do believe ye now have me firmly on the road to flipping the big finger at Bill :D

Thank you!

Enjoy the journey ..... it is the journey that counts not the destination ;)

• Advertisement

:D G'day, Johnboy!!! :D

Wow! Mate; What can I say?! I'm totally smitten! :D

Yesterday, I googled " Linux Beaver ", or some such. Came up with some long and serious review article, from some geeky sounding kid in a magazine, or something?

Anyway, That told me the proper name for the beaver one. And ye man wrote about it, at length. The more I read? The more I was kissing That idea goodbye! :(

He basically said that it was a good one for Pro Programmers, down to " Hobbyists ". Like: " Nope! Goodbye!!! "

So; I've had some kip and let the old subconscious do its stuff. Got up, this morning, ready to fight on. Found ye links, again. DL'd " Mate ". Went through that " Rufus " thing like an old hand :cool:

Took me two hours, start to finish, to get the ISO, then process it through Rufus. Ye seemed to find that horrific? Dunno. Maybe this little, old machine's just a heap of shhh!

Did the restart thing ~ Like A Boss! ~ Calmly explored MATE. Touched things. Looked into things. Looked For things?! Absolutely Loved it!!! :D

It was much like having just got windows 11. It'll need a Lot of customising, to what I'm used to. No doubt I'll hit the brick walls that'll send me crying back here. But, over all? Hell, Yeah!!! :cool:

Right; I'll give this a break, now. I have a few questions I jotted down, last night and today. Maybe we can look at those when you're rested yeself? Nothing too deep. MATE would probably soon lead me to answers anyway :)

I'm absolutely stoked now though! I'm seeing the light! And, Thank You So Much for NOT just saying: " Try it. See what ye think. " :eek: That's what I've had for the last twenty years! Might as well tell a middle aged non swimmer to just jump in the pool and swim!

Right ..... Stigura? STFU! :D

Advertisement