Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Have been watching the Apple Tv series For All Mankind.
    It develops a story from the premise that due to the Russians beating the US to the moon, the space race never stopped.

It is well put together, and features some nice historical footage integration.

But there's are lots of beauty shots of Space Watches!

Not all Speedmasters either.

One of the guys is clearly wearing an Accutron Astronaut on a coffin link bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Patek do some very lovely wood watches:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=patek+wood+marquetry&client=firefox-b-m&sxsrf=ALeKk028hsuvgIWIApP-jz-5N9UuMYlPiw:1617399106647&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdqtiZweDvAhVku3EKHbYXBdIQ_AUIBigB&biw=414&bih=760

I was fortunate enough to meet Mr Boutteçon in NY at a Patek exhibition - he enjoyed chatting to me so much he gave me a signed (paper!) copy of one of his designs - a treasured momento from a Patek master craftsman.

img_Tiger_Ref_5077P_2_300.jpg

A good article about his "wood watches" ;)
    https://www.watchprosite.com/patek-philippe/marquetry--never-ceases-to-amaze-me-/11.1307116.11185301/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’d be interested! Is it not mostly us centric on Reddit though ?

Right, lets give this a go then :D
    Anyone wanting to give this a try will need a Reddit account and an IFTTT account.

In IFTTT, search for Reddit in the search bar or just go to https://ifttt.com/reddit.
    There is a Reddit channel on there with some pre-made, basic triggers.
    IFTTT will seek permission to link your Reddit account and Reddit will throw an email and notification confirming the same.

Now for the recipe.
    There is a premade IFTTT trigger for New post from search.
    My notification alert is built on that.
    Then add your preferred subreddit 'subreddit:watchexchange
    Then add your notification trigger words, I used "longines conquest",
    Then select your notification channel, I use the IFTTT app so mine is, then Send a notification from the IFTTT app.

I hope that is of some help to those interested, the majority of watches are US/NA based but much like any other sales forum, if you ask for intl shipping there may be a deal to be had.
    There is a fairly robust feedback system in place with bot tracking of sales and buys aswell as trader feedback on r/watchexchangefeedback with a known scammer list too.
    As always DYOR but I have traded a couple of times there successfully and it is a big shop window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"How's the crake?" :D

No not me, that guy's much younger, 21 in 2001.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Someone here mentioned previously that you can sell your watch directly to chrono24 as opposed to listing it on chrono24, Does anyone have a link for that part of the site or I have imagined it all??

scwazrh wrote: »
    Someone here mentioned previously that you can sell your watch directly to chrono24 as opposed to listing it on chrono24, Does anyone have a link for that part of the site or I have imagined it all??

Only certain watches are eligible (yeah the usual suspects Rolex). Go through the thing of a valuation and they will offer to buy.

What watch are you trying to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

If you add a watch to your watch collection in the app, you should get the option for 'Sell this watch' when you view it.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Only certain watches are eligible (yeah the usual suspects Rolex). Go through the thing of a valuation and they will offer to buy.

What watch are you trying to sell?

Selling my 114300 - I’ve tried the valuation part but it’s moving on to list it . Maybe it’s not one they buy .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I think they've stopped offering it for now (you can see there are a number of watches that are currently being sold by C24) so perhaps for now they've got enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Just to update regarding the option to sell your watch directly to Chrono24, after making an enquiry about same, I got the following response:

Unfortunately, we have recently faced issues in relation to the shipping company in Ireland. That is why, we cannot currently offer the service in your country.
    We are working hard to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. As soon as the issue is resolved, the service will continue as
    regular

I don't know what shipping company they are referring to, or when if ever this will be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

kostal2093 wrote: »
    Just to update regarding the option to sell your watch directly to Chrono24, after making an enquiry about same, I got the following response:

Unfortunately, we have recently faced issues in relation to the shipping company in Ireland. That is why, we cannot currently offer the service in your country.
    We are working hard to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. As soon as the issue is resolved, the service will continue as
    regular

I don't know what shipping company they are referring to, or when if ever this will be resolved.

They tried that with me and I said I would organise shipping if the offer was acceptable, ended up with them organising ups to collect.

Panerai has caught my eye lately, in particular the 1033 GMT.
    Anyone have any experience of this one?
    I know Cyrus had/has a 1313 which I think is the same case?

Any input, there's one on WUS at the moment for $6800 and the guy seems open to offers considering how long it's up.
    It's there a month, seems keenly priced but I have zero PAM knowledge and any info on what they might actually trade at?
    Retail seems to be @$8.8 but with a 2nd hand watch and now knowledge of any discounts at retail any info would be appreciated.

I need to scratch my blue watch itch and it's the one that has caught my eye currently.
    Don't want to actually risk buying something I can't at least come close to washing my face on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

scwazrh wrote: »
    Selling my 114300 - I’ve tried the valuation part but it’s moving on to list it . Maybe it’s not one they buy .

How much out of curiosity. The rhodium 39mm one of the few watches I regret selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

banie01 wrote: »

Any input, there's one on WUS at the moment for $6800 and the guy seems open to offers considering how long it's up.
    It's there a month, seems keenly priced but I have zero PAM knowledge and any info on what they might actually trade at?
    Retail seems to be @$8.8 but with a 2nd hand watch and now knowledge of any discounts at retail any info would be appreciated.

I need to scratch my blue watch itch and it's the one that has caught my eye currently.
    Don't want to actually risk buying something I can't at least come close to washing my face on.

Hey

I recently sold mine (for 5800 so if you got that cleared here for that kind of money you should be ok) it’s a lovely dial and a nice case. I’m a sucker for Panerai’s but when I get them I don’t wear them enough due to the size , the new case is a lot better to be fair and great quick strap change also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

This just popped on TZ. 20 percent on various models in ADs in the UK.

I bought a 1084 from weirs at a little over 25% reduction just before Xmas .So decent discounts are available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

I envy you reading it for the first time.

Just finished this. What an amazing universe he created. I hope the new movie does it justice but its very hard see how the complexity of it all can be squeezed into something that works.

Stop the press

Patek have just launched a limited time run of the 5711 with a Olive green dial.

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/nautilus/5711-1A-014

You can now lust after this watch you cannot get, and speculate on the house deposit levels this will reach on the secondary market. Oh lord the hype.

Screenshot-2021-04-07-093855.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Stop the press

Patek have just launched a limited time run of the 5711 with a Olive green dial.

You can now lust after this watch you cannot get, and speculate on the house deposit levels this will reach on the secondary market. Oh lord the hype.

Just add an extra zero onto the end, and you’ll be close

• Advertisement

New rolexes are fairly crap. Two tone explorer, no thanks. New datejusts, disgusting. Meteorite dial Daytona’s best of a bad lot.

Time wrote: »
    New rolexes are fairly crap. Two tone explorer, no thanks. New datejusts, disgusting. Meteorite dial Daytona’s best of a bad lot.

Agreed, and no discontinuation of the green dial yellow gold daytona or the platinum (lot of dealers hoarding them so nice to see them get burned a bit). Batman and Pepsi now on choice of bracelet. Skydweller on a jubilee. Weird dial datejust is weird. Milgauss still around. And that two tone explorer 1 36mm is not nice at all...reminds me of that tissell that floats around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I do not like the Nautilus at all.

To me, it looks like the epitome of heavy, ungainly 70s design.

It's quality and craftsmanship is unquestionable, but just like a gold toilet, it's a no from me.

Stop the press

Screenshot-2021-04-07-093855.jpg

Well La Di dah!
    Hark at the Jackeen with his 80k plus house deposit :P

Us culchees could buy a gaff with a quarter of that ;)

Still have to hand it to Patek...
    What a way to mess with new Rolex launch! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

a lot of the releases so far remind me of this:

1249113.jpg?b64lines=

The meteorite dial Daytona on the oyster flex looks lovely though. But I think the real winner so far is the "4-sided" reverso.

But I think the real winner so far is the "4-sided" reverso.

My god thats a technically impressive watch, i hate the main dial on it, and think it would be very difficult to read in real life. But thats alot of complications packed into a relatively small watch.

Edit: The box it comes in is very clever too, can be used to set all the functions at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

That JLC is very impressive and the clever use of the presentation box to adjust the complications is super impressive and innovative me thinks.

As for the new Rolex’s, nothing new or innovative although I didn’t expect as much.

The new Tudors look tasty though, not a big gold watch fan but the new 18k BB58 looks really nice to me.

The panda dial BB chrono looks good too, will all the Daytona chasers hoover these up though and then realise it’s still not what they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Folks, thanks for the help regarding the Moonwatch, sourced one in Germany and will be here soon. But I’m back with cap in hand again.

Seen this today on adverts : https://www.adverts.ie/23423202

Anyone know the watch/seller and does everything look good ? Thinking strongly about it but would probably need to get the watch couriered off a deal done as Rush is just a tad outside my 5kms. Would be the first time I’d buy something like this privately and don’t want to end up with a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

From april 12th:
    You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home
    So in a few days you can view it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Cienciano wrote: »
    From april 12th:

So in a few days you can view it.

Sadly not even 20km or own county would do it. More like 170kms from me

Advertisement