Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruit Prison Officer 2019

• 03-03-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Recruit Prison Officer 2019 application on public jobs - opened 28/02/2019 and is closing on 21/03/2019

Dedicated thread for the 2019 application process so get posting guys & girls and good luck in your application :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 patrickpints

filling out my application, wonder how much weight is giving to the voluntary or community work question as there is nothing really I can put down for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 private89

Am looking at the 2019 campaign.

m wondering if the background checks are the same or easier than for AGS? I have a few convictions (motoring and public order) and wondering if these would exclude me. I applied to AGS and got turned down. Just gone 30 so think I have "grown up" now.

Would coming from the Army help or is that a

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

private89 wrote: »

m wondering if the background checks are the same or easier than for AGS? I have a few convictions (motoring and public order) and wondering if these would exclude me. I applied to AGS and got turned down. Just gone 30 so think I have "grown up" now.

I'm not 100% on how strict it is compared to Gardai. I'm from 2018 and waiting on clearance at the moment. I remember in the 2018 thread a serving officer stated it wasnt as strict as he has colleagues he knew had been in trouble before joining and they got in no problem. He suggested that this wouldn't happen with the Gardai! Have a look at the start of the 2018 thread and you'll see a few asking about the clearance issue. Ultimately I would just apply if I were you and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

I would agree with po candidate to apply and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Would anyone have an idea how much per Month after tax you would be taking home ? Also completed the appitude tests in 2016 and was very strong in job simulation but really struggled in the numerical section . Would that part still be the same or maybe it has changed again ? .

• Advertisement

anyone do the interview last year? how difficult was it and how long roughly?

no idea on the tax question as everyones personal circumstances is different, would you clear 500 a week after tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭billgibney

no idea on the tax question as everyones personal circumstances is different, would you clear 500 a week after tax?

Including all allowances and built in overtime the starting pay is around 47000 per year

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bowrow

The interview is the hardest part.
    Just have your examples on the competencies and stick to answering the questions and you'll be fine.
    I think it was about 20-30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bowrow

Star hurl wrote: »
    Would anyone have an idea how much per Month after tax you would be taking home ? Also completed the appitude tests in 2016 and was very strong in job simulation but really struggled in the numerical section . Would that part still be the same or maybe it has changed again ? .
    I narrowly missed out in 2016 and 're applied in 2018 and I now await on pct and medical.the 2016 was numerical reasoning but 2018 was Alot harder imo because it was a calculation test.do some study/grinds and you'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 KBHC

billgibney wrote: »
    Including all allowances and built in overtime the starting pay is around 47000 per year

Is this as a recruit Prison officer after your assigned a prison?? Or after 3 years when u become a prison officer??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

KBHC wrote: »
    Is this as a recruit Prison officer after your assigned a prison?? Or after 3 years when u become a prison officer??

Your assigned a prison after the initial 12 weeks, you become a prison officer on completion of college so after 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

So your talking about around 35 k for the first 3 years with Sunday's etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Phillip k

You don't get as much over time as what they use to. Starting salary is 28,690 to 32,941

when filling in the application form, section A employment record do you have to include dates or just months you started jobs? how exact do you have to be?

when filling in the application form, section A employment record do you have to include dates or just months you started jobs? how exact do you have to be?

I put down month and year and it was no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bartholemew Mills

Only the months and year. You don't need the exact dates.

perfect thanks

any idea what they look into with previous employers? references?

Any advice for the supplementary information section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bartholemew Mills

any idea what they look into with previous employers? references?

Any advice for the supplementary information section?

They won't be looking for references from previous employers until you pass the interview stage, at the very least.

As regards the supplementary information, simply add whatever you think may be relevant in support of your application. Perhaps you play sports (that shows that you're a team player), perhaps you train in martial arts (that shows that you're into fitness and you most likely know how to handle yourself in a situation), things like that. Be creative and tell them about yourself, there's no 'wrong' answers as such. Just make sure you're comfortable talking about the things that you mention as it may come up in the interview. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 callum21

I just did the interview a couple of weeks ago. I was in there for 50 mins, We were laughing and joking at the end of it too, Have good detailed answers related to previous employment and you will have nothing to worry about. Best of luck. Its such a long process.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JJss1988

Now that the closing date has passed what is the timeframe regarding the Online Tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niallerire

hey guys just a quick question. A friend of mine had been caught with a small amount of drugs but he didnt get a conviction, He stil wants to apply to the prion offers.. would it be woth his time? can any prison offier on this tell me what the vetting part it like??

niallerire wrote: »
    hey guys just a quick question. A friend of mine had been caught with a small amount of drugs but he didnt get a conviction, He stil wants to apply to the prion offers.. would it be woth his time? can any prison offier on this tell me what the vetting part it like??

Not a RPO however I should be starting training soon. Vetting takes a long time and it seems thorough although I'm not sure what they consider a serious problem, apparently it's not as difficult as the Garda recruitment vetting. I'm from 2018 campaign and in that forum there were a few posts at the start about vetting. Maybe have a look there! Ultimately there's no way of knowing for certain until you go through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CplMick

niallerire wrote: »

If you have a criminal conviction or have been on remand in prison even with out conviction then it is a waste of time applying you won't get in. As to somebody else who asked traffic offense's fall into different categories and there for it depends on the type of charge or conviction same with public order offense's...
    Been caught with drugs and not been charged... Hmm while not a conviction it is suggestive of been a drug user which means compromised before even starting and while it may slip thru a security check you have to ask?? do you want to start a high pressure job dealing with scum who will try to compromise you from day one being already subject to a possible compromise???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kellea

Has anyone heard back regarding the online assessments yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JJss1988

Kellea wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back regarding the online assessments yet?

No I have not heard anything but maybe it is still a bit early?
    I am not sure what the timelines are.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sazxox

Does anyone know how many initial jobs there are or is the 216 panel based??

sazxox wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many initial jobs there are or is the 216 panel based??

Most things with in the service are panel based so I would believe this recruitment drive will be the same.
    If you get thru the process, you'd be placed on a panel then training course places will be offered to those on it till the panel is finished.
    You may find for those high enough placed on the panel that you could end up in training with some those from the previous panel that is coming to an end.

• Advertisement

A lot of Officers are ex P.D.F or R.D.F it does show you inclined to Public Service etc. so it can help yes especial if you've U.N. overseas time served.
    If ex P.D.F. you can carry a portion of your service

Advertisement