Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kolido wrote: »
    Whats your thoughts on these guys? Bit expensive for a mini arcade. There are a few different titles available.

https://m.zavvi.com/merch-memorabilia/sambro-arcade-1up-street-fighter-ii-champion-edition-at-home-arcade-machine/11890860.html

there is a separate thread about these here

I have put in an order for the Space Invaders one on the Gamestop site for €400 and have bought the parts that were recommended in the modding youtube video for when it arrives

o1s1n wrote: »
    The thread over on Sega 16 would indicate otherwise unfortunately. :(

i read that alright, some of them don't seem convinced with the videos at all.
    Some serious negativity over there but tbh, can you really blame them? It's gone beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Guess which console turns 30 today.

If you even THINK about calling it by its Yank name...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

Guess which console turns 30 today.

If you even THINK about calling it by its Yank name...

cave.png

Inviere wrote: »
    cave.png
    THAT'S IT! It's time you took an...

XlLX3dnz_400x400.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    After seeing the mention of Wonderboy and then me referencing Adventure Island, this led me on a merry trip through Hudon's catalogue.
    I had no idea there was a series of remakes on the PS2/GC from them.
    Admittedly, some of them look a bit off, more like an N64 game than a GC one, but Star Soldier doesn't look bad at all.
    I might add them to the watch list at least, pick one or two up along the way.

I have three game from that series and they are quite good. I'm still missing the Lode Runner game. Adventure Island only arrived earlier in the week but I haven't played it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They seem to have been released on both the GC and PS2.
    I think the GC would be preferable, Japanese GameCube games are so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

They seem to have been released on both the GC and PS2.
    I think the GC would be preferable, Japanese GameCube games are so cool!

They are but they're probably more expensive now. The PS2 games are a lot more common.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing Thunderforce IV on the Switch, wow, I am so terrible at this game!

I bought it on release, waaay back when, and remember being a lot better, and the same over the years.
    Then I realised this is probably not due to my advancing years but because I had been used to playing the PAL version which is slower than the NTSC original!

Playing Thunderforce IV on the Switch, wow, I am so terrible at this game!

I bought it on release, waaay back when, and remember being a lot better, and the same over the years.
    Then I realised this is probably not due to my advancing years but because I had been used to playing the PAL version which is slower than the NTSC original!
    I think the PAL version is actually optimised for speed.

• Advertisement

I think the PAL version is actually optimised for speed.

Just age so...
    Bugger...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of those 'optimised' games just speed up the music but not the gameplay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »

that sounds right up my alley these days ;).
    Anyone seen the Castlevania netflix series? Season 2 is up , its a bit slow but holy feck does it get good!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    TO BE FAIR...it can result in a more properly cued intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So the PSTV/Vita can play PSP games? What firmware is needed, how hard is it to find one at that, and is it difficult to install CFW?

They're €70 in CeX, anywhere better to buy one? Should have bought one when they were going for €50 in Smyths!

I didn't know you could play PSP games on it, I have some PS1, PSP and a Vita game I'd like to play. Does the touchpad work with the Dualshock 4 or are touch enabled games still not playable?

I haven't had a handheld since the original PSP using the Liberty City Stories save game exploit. Very out of the loop at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So where's the best place to get Red Dead 2?

Seen a lot of deals around but ye lads have anyplace that's a bit cheaper?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    So the PSTV/Vita can play PSP games? What firmware is needed, how hard is it to find one at that, and is it difficult to install CFW?

The PSTV is what you want really. Compatible with Vita, PS1, PSP, via the DS4 controller. Then add emulation into the mix for other consoles, and it starts appearing as a nice value item.
    They're €70 in CeX, anywhere better to buy one? Should have bought one when they were going for €50 in Smyths!

Here's one from a seller which seems to sell a lot of them. When it comes to hacking them, here's the current situation:

Firmware 3.60 and below - a permanent cfw can be installed.
    Firmware 3.61 - 3.68 - a HEN (homebrew enabler) can be installed, which doesn't survive a reboot. It's very easy to reapply on each boot though, something simple like clicking on a bubble iirc.
    Firmware 3.69 - this is the latest firmware. There is a hack for it, but it's being kept privately at the mo. The guy who wrote it said he's keeping it private until the Vita goes end-of-life. Sony announced the Vita is going e-o-l in Japan next year, so it'll be released sooner rather than later.

The seller above lists various different firmware versions. Personally I think a 3.60 or below is the best bet (if it's below, you need to update to 3.60) because it allows the permanent cfw. There is a new dumping tool which has been released (or will be released, not too sure) which allows higher firmware games to be played on lower firmwares too, so 3.60 seems golden.
    I didn't know you could play PSP games on it, I have some PS1, PSP and a Vita game I'd like to play. Does the touchpad work with the Dualshock 4 or are touch enabled games still not playable?

The Vita/PSTV has built in PSP hardware, it's even better than emulation. The modified version of this (Adrenaline), basically allows you to install the PSP CFW over the Sony PSP hardware, giving you a fully functional PSP on CFW via your PSTV (and Vita). Re the touchpad, I'm not certain but I think the DS4 can replace the Vita's touchpad in games. You can also whitelist all of the games that Sony blacklisted on the PSTV, opening it up to the full library of Vita games.

I must check my PSTV for firmware version and get the CFW installed, then pick up one of the adaptors for using a micro SD card.
    I've a spare 64Gb one there that'd be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So where's the best place to get Red Dead 2?

Seen a lot of deals around but ye lads have anyplace that's a bit cheaper?

42 Euro on the Indonesian Playstation Store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

I must check my PSTV for firmware version and get the CFW installed, then pick up one of the adaptors for using a micro SD card.

If its a PSTV you should be able to just use a USB stick. I have Vita that I keep up to date but I have a PSTV in case I ever need a hacked one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    42 Euro on the Indonesian Playstation Store

Its only €36.something with this 15% off discount code which expires tomorrow:

JMR5BQD4B4

You need a Revolut card with a virtual visa or physical to purchase it though.

The first attempt will get blocked due to suspicious activity and you just have to confirm it was you, unblock the card and try again.

On the topic of Red Dead, it's slow to start but once you get to the first camp/town it picks up and is pretty consistent from then on. I've heard it's 45-60 hours long but so far for me it doesn't seem grindy or anything and I've been putting in 3-5 hours every days.

Search some tips for controller settings to make it a bit smoother. I think thumbstick deadzone set to zero and aim assist off on foot.

I read an article saying not to spend money on guns as you pick them up throughout the story, I don't have many and I'm 2/3 into the game and I want a proper shotgun so don't be afraid to spend a bit on a new gun but save a few quid for bounties.

Staying fed, warm and clean isn't a huge issue nor is feeding the horse or maintaining your guns. It's necessary but very relaxed.

The PSTV when hacked will work with mass storage devices, so usb stick, external hdd's etc. No need for the SD2Vita thingy.

The EMUVR Beta has been live the last 2 weeks! I only spotted it on facebook yesterday:

Basically you email the owner and he sends you a discord invite link where you can read lots of info and get the download link.

http://www.emuvr.net/beta

The PSTV when hacked will work with mass storage devices, so usb stick, external hdd's etc. No need for the SD2Vita thingy.

Excellent, now to figure what to load on there...
    Einhander
    Rage Racer
    Need for Speed, NfS3 and Road Challenge
    Raiden DX
    RETURN FIRE!

And not an RPG in sight!

Excellent, now to figure what to load on there...
    Einhander
    Rage Racer
    Need for Speed, NfS3 and Road Challenge
    Raiden DX
    RETURN FIRE!

And not an RPG in sight!

You could dump the entire PS1 library on a €50 500GB hdd :o Not that I'd advise that, instant "flash card syndrome" (all day scrolling, but playing nothing). You could pick out a top 50 or something, and never look back.

Picked up a 64GB SanDisk USB recently for €15 off Amazon, flash storage is very cheap these days. Good to know I won't need a Vita to SD thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There's a 128GB sandisc drive on Amazon that regularly goes on offer for £20 too. Camelcamelcamel is a great service for price tracking.

I intend to download some of the great retropie builds that come preskinned etc in the future. Some of them weigh in at the 128GB mark

You could dump the entire PS1 library on a €50 500GB hdd :o Not that I'd advise that, instant "flash card syndrome" (all day scrolling, but playing nothing). You could pick out a top 50 or something, and never look back.

What year are you living in? 50 would easily get you a 1TB drive these days! :pac:

I have a 4TB WD Passport reserved in Argos for collection when it comes into stock in the next few days - €85!

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    What year are you living in? 50 would easily get you a 1TB drive these days! :pac:

I have a 4TB WD Passport reserved in Argos for collection when it comes into stock in the next few days - €85!

Indeed, my bad :o 1TB would nearly be wasted on a PSTV though, 500GB would be plenty

Advertisement