Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here comes the Judge, my 69 GTO

• 30-05-2017 5:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Ok, so as you may have seen this car in the back ground of some of the Pics from either my Challenger or XB threads, I hadn’t planned a build thread on this as I don’t plan on a rebuild any time soon…. But I figured why not share anyway, this thread is lifted from some other forums I’m on, so ignore any references to things I’m about to buy or do… it’s all done now ….

Anyway I have added another car to my little Muscle car collection, to give you an idea of the timeline I bought this late last year…  so here is my all original 1969 Orbit Orange GTO, it’s a 3 speed Auto with the 400ci (6.6 ltr) V8 & the big 12 bolt rear end.

IMG_6215_zps7lowsaxw.jpg

IMG_6216_zpsjk0yu5y8.jpg

IMG_6213_zpshauvn6lv.jpg

IMG_6211_zpsth3jz7fp.jpg

IMG_6220_zpskd0y2wjd.jpg

IMG_6227_zpscniwhdoj.jpg

It’s not a concourse show car, but it’s in really good condition for its age & has all of the original bits with it, still had the original build sheet under the rear seat (this is now framed)

ACBAEE59-C6AC-4F5D-9A99-BCFB4E8A92A0_zpsjgptngre.jpg

I had to play garage Tetris to fit her in for now, but she’s in… a second hoist is now on my letter to Satan this Xmas, as I clearly don’t have enough space to add another car

IMG_6207_zpsww7sijwn.jpg

IMG_6221_zpsduxnhmqk.jpg

IMG_6222_zps5xiwib1w.jpg

Now, this thread will not be me stripping the car down to a million pieces & doing a frame off restoration….. (well it won’t be yet anyway), the plan is to just do the minimum to make it a nice cruiser for the summer here to enjoy some time out of the Skunk Works away from smacking the other 3 with hammers, once the others are finished then I might go mad on this on too…  right now I just need fix a few things that she needs done to get her up to a level so that she’ll pass an Australian roadworthy inspection…. From my brief looking she needs:

The brakes sorted, they are real spongy right now & don’t give any confidence at all

The headlights have an earth issue & they don’t all work all the time, I’ll also swap the old 1969 sealed beams out for some fancy new H4’s or maybe even LED ones

The GEN light (generator or alt light) is constantly on & only goes out after about 30 minutes of driving so I think that either the Alt or the regulator is stuffed

There is no windshield washer bottle

There is a leak from the rocker cover gasket that drips oil onto the exhaust header on the passenger side

The passenger side header has a leak, not sure if it’s loose, cracked or if the gasket is gone

There is a slight leak from the power steering box

Once I’ve done the above list I’ll take her to a testing Engineer & see what other things they say need to be done, but hopefully my list is everything…   

There are also some non-roadworthy issues that will go onto the fix soon list, they are:

The hood mounted tacho doesn’t work & as this is such a cool feature this must be fixed soon

The plug leads are way too long & wrap around the engine bay

The bearing in the pulley on the aircon compressor is on its way out & squeals like a pig & the gas needs to be replaces with non-planet killing stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Another thing that needs to be working to get an Australian roadworthy cert is the blower for the front screen to be able to defog the screen when needed? mine works fine so that?s a tick

IMG_6228_zpsseu2ookz.jpg

Because the car has movable headrests they must work, so another tick..

IMG_6226_zpshg3zp3mq.jpg

I?m not sure how?ll I?ll go with the belts, the Challenger belts where illegal as they were a lap belt only & then a second shoulder belt could be clipped onto the lap buckle & as the second belt was only a click on & it had no buckle it had to be replaced with a proper 3 point belt?.. but this car had two complete belts per side, a lap belt & then a separate shoulder belt with a second buckle, plus the ADR?s (Australian Design Rules) change depending on the year of the car, so as this is an older car I?m going to leave them as is & see if they pass or fail

IMG_6230_zpsibg54ymu.jpg

IMG_6229_zps7wjliyf7.jpg

Next up was to diagnose the poor brakes, it?s pretty clear that the master cylinder is leaking here

IMG_6234_zpspyjilguj.jpg

I tested the booster & it seems fine so a new master cylinder was ordered.

The front disks look great, no big lip worn into them & heaps of meat left on the pads

IMG_6231_zpshvujq7pd.jpg

The flexible line looks good too

IMG_6232_zpsxvnudlyp.jpg

The rear finned drums where a pig to get off

IMG_6233_zpsyibvcgp4.jpg

When I finally got them off there was signs of leaking on the rear cylinders, no shock I expected to find that

IMG_6257_zpsywqjohyj.jpg

Looking at the plug leads again, I will need to replace them or rerun them at the least, one wraps around the steering column & I?m sure that that will be frowned on

IMG_6235_zpse36xks1g.jpg

I was chatting to a mate today & he suggested that I will need to have the R12 (that’s Freon to you & I) gas professionally removed from the aircon system & just removing the belt is not good enough, so add that to the list

IMG_6236_zpslzbuwqg1.jpg

Fully charged the battery overnight but the Gen light still stays on, so I’ll get a new Alt with an internal regulator to replace the old original one

IMG_6238_zpsvaqlxqwd.jpg

The car has no passenger side mirror, no that’s not a fail for a 69 car but it does make driving in multilane traffic fun, so my first box of new bits turned up today & in it was a new mirror (they are universal fit left to right)

IMG_6259_zpsi1wxoiuk.jpg

IMG_6267_zpsm520ghjn.jpg

IMG_6268_zps6bbbwe1u.jpg

The new 5.38” LED lights to replace the originals

IMG_6269_zpsxjdylrph.jpg

IMG_6270_zpsahhgjwry.jpg

The new brake master cylinder

IMG_6263_zpstjefzvng.jpg

A complete rear brake rebuild kit, new shoes, cylinders, springs etc

IMG_6260_zpshbdrvhq2.jpg

The new windshield washer bottle… it’s tiny

IMG_6261_zpszi9r2q9p.jpg

A new washer motor as I have no idea if the one on the car works

IMG_6262_zpsufkez8ox.jpg

And most importantly the new hood tacho

IMG_6264_zpsfvzh1avs.jpg

IMG_6265_zpskkuv9g2p.jpg

Sadly it comes as a complete sealed unit, so I’ll need to make up a tool to open these weird 3 pronged screws so that I can simply replace the guts & not have to repaint the body of the new tacho

IMG_6266_zpshshwi6c1.jpg

Next box of bits is scheduled for delivery tomorrow… so I know what my weekend looks like already….

So it turned out that there were a few jobs that needed to be done on the GTO, some were important safety issues like the (brakes, steering, etc) some were required for the roadworthy & engineer sign (lights, washers, belts etc) off & some were required to make the car run right like the new alternator… so where did I start…. Yes you guessed it fixing the hood tacho as I couldn’t stand the fact that that wasn’t working..

The plan was to remove the guts of the new tacho I’d bought & replace the guts of the old tacho with them to save me having to get the new tacho housing painted to match the car. The new housing was secured with these tri-point screws & I didn’t have the required special tool to undo them

IMG_6276_zpswnvoergo.jpg

What I did have was a set of sir clip removal pliers so I figured I could use them to grip two of the 3 points in the screw head & undo them

IMG_6277_zpsf4lsarbt.jpg

To my surprise it worked quiet well

IMG_6278_zpsn3p0jcsz.jpg

Now to remove the old one from the hood itself

IMG_6279_zps0iv4g5r1.jpg

Now as you can see by the amount of silicone on this, this one was not screwed together at all… it took a bit of careful cuffing & prying but I got it apart without damaging either the inner section of the outer case

IMG_6280_zpsxyncmuxv.jpg

IMG_6281_zps18ypes35.jpg

IMG_6282_zpslubl4bym.jpg

By now it was becoming clear that swapping these parts out wasn’t really going to work at all, so I test fitted the new tacho to see if it fit the hole already cut into the bonnet…. & no was the answer to that question, the bulge for the electronics is larger on the new one

IMG_6283_zpsep7e07pq.jpg

IMG_6287_zpszluxi5ts.jpg

IMG_6288_zpsvs6nuemd.jpg

With that I bit the bullet & broke out the die grinder & enlarged the bonnet hole to take the new housing & then took it to a local panel shop to get the paint matched… it’s turned out pretty good & looks like it’s been there for years & isn’t something that was just painted yesterday.

IMG_6320_zpsuauju7i2.jpg

IMG_6321_zpspjjcod0s.jpg

Right now that I’ve done the childish bit & I have a working hood tach it was time to start fixing some of the bits that actually needed to be fixed before the car would be approved to go on the roads. First of the real jobs was to replace the Alt, now with the position of the top radiator hose & the belts it wasn’t the simplest task to get the bolts & indeed the whole Alt out of that spot, in hindsight I should have just taken the opportunity to flush the rad & removed the hose, but with a lot of wiggling of bits & the odd expletive thrown in it came out.

IMG_6291_zpsmd5kzx3g.jpg

IMG_6294_zpskosjqda3.jpg

Of course when selecting the replacement I opted for the higher output version to be sure I can run the uprated lights & whatever else I decide to install later & again call me childish but I always opt for the shiny finish when shopping for muscle cars

IMG_6296_zpshu0tz3sv.jpg

Now the install would be just as awkward as the removal with one added issue, the old Alt is externally regulated & is a two wire connection type & the new one is an internally regulated single wire conversion, so some minor rewiring would be needed

IMG_6293_zpsn66z9kym.jpg

IMG_6297_zpshw3naqry.jpg

So the connector seen above won’t fit the back of the new Alt & needs an adapter wire & the external regulator on the firewall seen below needs to be bypassed in such a way that the light on the dash is fooled & doesn’t just stay on the whole time

IMG_6368_zpsrr7viieb.jpg

• Advertisement

Most folks just cut the old connector off the wire to the back of the Alt & crimp on some blade connectors to connect them to the new Alt & then just make up two wires again with blade connectors to jump the terminals to fool the dash light into thinking that the external regulator is still in use & working. I’ve never been a fan of this, so I found a much neater kit that that came with an adapter wire for the back of the Alt & a neat pre-wired block that bridges the correct terminals on the regulator, much happier with how this looks now.

IMG_6366_zpsu4fsbfsb.jpg

IMG_6369_zpsmyrvapep.jpg

IMG_6370_zpsn4sg0xd1.jpg

IMG_6367_zpshhzelqmv.jpg

And now I have an Alt that charges the battery nicely & the idiot Gen light on the dash goes out once I start the car… happy days.

IMG_6307_zpso0hs3iyz.jpg

Next up was to swap out the lights for the correct Australian right hand drive facing set, I did briefly toss about the idea of changing the front end to retro fit the hide away lights option that was available for the 69, but then I decided not to mess with the spec of the car just yet.. mind you it will get a RAM Air conversion at some point I think.

Removing the lights is pretty simple, 3 screws hold in the surround & once that’s out its just 3 screws per light to remove them.. my big worry was would they be rusted solid & snap as they are tiny little screws & very little on this car has been removed in the last 30 years by the looks of the rusted bolts all through the engine bay.

IMG_6301_zpsacvls6mn.jpg

IMG_6302_zpsduidecym.jpg

IMG_6305_zpskunnjwxi.jpg

Unfortunately the original connector is not the right shape to connect to the back of the new lights

IMG_6309_zps92z9ur1v.jpg

So I had to trim the side off of them to make them fit

IMG_6310_zps1l9rgggg.jpg

Job done… now she has great night vison

IMG_6313_zpsnwrb4vzl.jpg

Next job was to fit a mirror on the passenger side door, lots of careful measuring was done for this as I wasn’t really mad on the idea of drilling two holes into a perfectly good door… but believe me the lack of rearward vision out of this thing without the mirror is shocking whole road trains could be hiding in my blind spot & I wouldn’t have a clue.

So I messed about with different position & took measurements from the driver’s side one & then transferred them onto some masking tape that I laid out on the door

IMG_6322_zpsfxakh3jn.jpg

Not exactly rocket since after that, drilled a small pilot hole for the self-taping screws that came in the kit to get a grip on

IMG_6324_zpsv8ev75va.jpg

Then simply screwed on the mounting bracket

IMG_6325_zpsbtp4m654.jpg

& then the mirror, sadly they didn’t make a remote adjustable one for the passenger side, so it’s a pain to adjust if you’re on your own, but it has made merging & overtaking such a more enjoyable experience now, there is no more indicate, move.. wait for the crash anymore

IMG_6326_zps0vqjwksg.jpg

IMG_6327_zpsslwfj560.jpg

Then it was onto a safety concern, the brakes simply are ****e & really need sorting… so there are a few things that are wrong, so time to sort them one by one, first up is that the master cylinder is leaking & as such is permanently sucking air into the brake lines.. & you don’t have to be Ed China to know that that is bad..

IMG_6337_zps9u4p5dk4.jpg

Once I had it off you could see the trail of fluid that’s been running down the booster for a while now & on the back of the master cylinder you can see where the seal is dry & broken.. it’s a great car, but it’s sat unused for a while I think & anything that can perish I assume has perished..

IMG_6338_zpshzuvcr8t.jpg

IMG_6339_zps496iwqj9.jpg

I didn’t go for a polished replacement, I just went for an OEM bolt in

IMG_6336_zpsfkgrxxmd.jpg

First job after bolting it all in was to bench bleed it (yes I know it’s not on a bench, but it works just as well)

IMG[

I had noticed that 3 of the 4 wheels had broken studs & that would be an instant no-no in getting the car passed as fit to drive on the roads, so I had ordered a full set of replacement studs as they were only like $1.50 each. So I jacked the car up to pull the fronts off (note to self either finish the other cars or buy a 2nd hoist)

IMG_6386_zpsnxijptq6.jpg

IMG_6384_zpsah2mahjw.jpg

IMG_6385_zpsiypekass.jpg

Then when I had one disk off I noticed that it was a completely different design to the other…

IMG_6388_zps4ok0fbhs.jpg

IMG_6390_zpsyc2kwmmj.jpg

Turns out that the one in the last pic above is the uber rare factory 69 one…. Sadly its worn below the minimum thickness…. So looks like it’s new front disks for the old girl.

IMG_6412_zps0duho1ly.jpg

Clearly now was the time to replace the bearings too & I decided to finally splash out & buy a bearing drift, for years I’ve just used a socket but now I have the right tool for the job sitting in the tool box

IMG_6415_zpsa8w2hdx4.jpg

IMG_6416_zpsfgaxsy5f.jpg

Bizarrely the bearing kit didn’t come with a new dust seal… but the ones on the car are fine & I have the right pick for removing them without damaging them so I have reused them now

IMG_6413_zpsygypubnc.jpg

IMG_6414_zpsjcwohehq.jpg

The spindles are fine & in great shape, so no need to replace them & the object of the game here was to replace as little as possible so that I could get the car on the road ASAP to enjoy it for the Australian summer (since this thread update is looong overdue.. spoiler alert, I was able to put over 1000 miles on her this summer)

IMG_6417_zpsl1dmb3db.jpg

When I was doing the front disks I noticed that there was 3 washers on one caliper instead of 2 & it was causing a weeping leak… so I decided to get all new braided lines too

IMG_6387_zpsstmniccl.jpg

IMG_6359_zpsmbdl8uva.jpg

The finished product

IMG_6418_zpsumfhmp99.jpg

No point in doing the front only, so I bought two new rear drums & a complete rebuild kit including new cylinders (good thing I did)

IMG_6483_zpsqrw4nart.jpg

As I started to pull the old drum brakes apart the amount of mud & water that was in the cylinders was horrific & the drums where warped anyway

IMG_6480_zpswpfey4rz.jpg

IMG_6484_zps2a6rnvve.jpg

IMG_6486_zpsbkxjuqgl.jpg

I also took the time to swap out all of the studs as there were only 4 on one side anyway

IMG_6487_zpsoi0uocgc.jpg

IMG_6488_zpsa22nm1z7.jpg

• Advertisement

The gauge cluster in the GTO only has idiot lights for the water temp, oil pressure & the voltage.. I always feel much better with old cars when I know what the water & oil are doing. So I decided to fit a set of auxiliary gauges to the car.

IMG_6333_zpsafr66jhb.jpg

IMG_6334_zpsioqe5mfb.jpg

Thing is I don’t want to disconnect the idiot lights either, as I like the idea of a big red light coming on if I lose oil pressure & I’m not looking at the gauge at that exact moment, so the plan is to not remove the original oil & temp sensors but augment them. The intake manifold actually has two tapped holes for sensors, one already has the idiot light one in so I figured that I could just us the other for the gauge.

The existing sender

IMG_6346_zpsluy39umk.jpg

The blanked off second hole

IMG_6347_zpszybvtsiw.jpg

IMG_6348_zpsxgvtsozi.jpg

Connecting the volt gauge was simple enough, now I just need to go find the correct AN fitting adapter that will allow me to keep the oil sender & add a second feed as there is no second blanked off feed for the oil sadly

IMG_6351_zpsm4oxuzcx.jpg

The clutch in the A/C unit is dead so I’ve decided to rip that whole thing out for now as it so heavy & it takes up a lot of space in the engine bay

IMG_6236_zpslzbuwqg1.jpg

IMG_6355_zps6j91ysjq.jpg

IMG_6354_zpswd6b5oss.jpg

I have bought a shiny new replacement, but I need to clean up all the brackets & get some other small bits, so I’ve left it off for now & I’ll fit it again over the winter in time for next summer

Whilst working on the inside I also replaced the glovebox lid, the original had been sun faded so badly compared to the rest of the dash & it really looked out of place & it was really bugging me…

IMG_6399_zps4bfuun9v.jpg

Old vs new

IMG_6405_zpsf54j8821.jpg

That’s better…

IMG_6406_zpsq1a1tccm.jpg

Under the bonnet there are some openings that allow access the wiper arms & at some point in the past the correct covers had been replaced by some precision cut chicken wire

IMG_6393_zpszcvhkync.jpg

I wasn’t mad about this myself, so I spend the $12 that the correct replacements cost

IMG_6392_zpsjycicqt8.jpg

Sometimes it’s the littlest of things that I just can’t live with

IMG_6395_zpsohrhcavl.jpg

The old thin chrome rocker covers where buckled & they were letting oil leak past when the crankcase pressure built up under load, always happens with the cheap thin metal ones, they are so easy to overtighten & warp

IMG_6407_zpszxrglefp.jpg

So I added a set of heavier cast aluminum ones, looks better I think

IMG_6409_zpsvnb4nran.jpg

My GTO handled like a bag of crap & I don’t mean that in compared to a modern hot hatch or BMW M car, I mean even for a 40 something year old muscle car it handled like crap, the rear made some interesting noises & was very sloppy under power. A quick look showed that the upper control arm bushings where brittle & collapsed & falling apart.

IMG_6433_zpstunvctmj.jpg

IMG_6435_zpsdygiv3q4.jpg

IMG_6434_zpsumm9lvqj.jpg

I’ve decided not to just replace the bushes but to replace the whole arm with a set of boxed arms that will support & take the optional rear sway bar that I will buy soon & bolt up

IMG_6436_zpsixxwrvqk.jpg

Old vs new

IMG_6437_zps2le6ji68.jpg

You can see how the old ones have no bracing to take a sway bar bolting to the side of them like the new ones above do, seems with this car the sway bar install is very simple, no dog bone ends or real links just bolts between the two arms.

IMG_6441_zpsrfoicnuc.jpg

The process was fairly simple, jack the rear off the ground & take the weight of the diff off the arms then unbolt them & pry them out

IMG_6440_zpshnd6yd3r.jpg

Then installation is uber simple too, bolt one end in & then adjust the height of the diff until the other end lines up & slot the bolt in

IMG_6439_zpsyfpxo0on.jpg

There was also a driveline issue, the trans tunnel always felt like it was shaking & the gearbox clunked under hard shifts… having a closer look you could see that the rubber in the gearbox mount had collapsed completely

IMG_6506_zpsxy6pxydn.jpg

I had tried to remove the old mount just by jacking up the gearbox & without removing the cross member, but no joy… luckily the cross member is only held on with two bolts on each side & was actually pretty easy to remove & drop out of the way

IMG_6507_zpsf50zewde.jpg

The old rubber wasn’t even attached to the old bracket anymore the whole thing had broken down & started to decompose actually

IMG_6512_zps6weuj2mf.jpg

IMG_6508_zpseotf2dpy.jpg

IMG_6509_zpsnughxw1e.jpg

I didn’t go with the direct OEM replacement option, I went for a tougher new style that should past a lot longer & I can happy report that the drivetrain runs a lot smoother now with that replaced

IMG_6513_zpswetptjpl.jpg

IMG_6514_zpsvy7e6tsn.jpg

All back together

IMG_6517_zpsxijg5fbo.jpg

The next thing to sort was the steering, the steering box is clearly shagged, there is heaps of play in the wheel… you can move the wheel a good 3 inches from side to side with no impact to the direction the wheels face at all. The worm adjuster had already been tightened to its max & it was leaking badly from some seals that I decided to just replace the whole thing with a performance version & I also replaced all the front end parts like tie rod ends etc as the same time.

IMG_6516_zpsbvbhwr5p.jpg

The box was leaking both from the bottom & was dripping off the end of the steering arm

IMG_6500_zps8n8jbhw6.jpg

It was also leaking at the top end where the rag joint is

IMG_6501_zpsxyexs2hy.jpg

Getting the steering arm off these old cars is always a lot of fun, smacking parts with hammers or using pullers.. in this case I got lucky & one of the many pullers I had fit up nicely & the arm slide off the output shaft a lot easier than I had any right to expect

IMG_6515_zpso8cwuyny.jpg

When I removed the steering box out of the Challenger I had found some rust behind it as it’s a beautiful spot for mud & crap to live & fester & convert to rust over time… so I was very happy to see that the frame rail behind this box was fine

IMG_6518_zpshpwpqdzd.jpg

This car is definitely easier to work on with more room than both the XB & the Challenger, I’ve replaced the steering boxes in all 3 now & this one was by far the easiest to remove once the 3 bolts where undone & so easy to slide the new one in… happy days

IMG_6519_zps82j1jf4e.jpg

IMG_6520_zpsbiwluqiu.jpg

IMG_6522_zpsjuponfj6.jpg

The car has been for an alignment now & it handles beautifully… you can let go of the wheel at freeway speeds & she tracks straight & true & the steering is supper responsive, it feels a little heavier than it did but it’s so direct now that I’m happy with that

The last big job to get the car registered & on the road was to replace the seat belts, as the Australian government are convinced that no other country in the world can design & make seatbelts that are safe.. so as I had to do with the Challenger when I brought it here I had to source a set of Australian compliant 3 point belts that replaced the very cool (at least I think they were cool double belt set up in the front). So the double buckles needed to go

IMG_4372_zpss7u40tbb.jpg

Also the floor mounted reel needed to go

IMG_6442_zpsudo1zfou.jpg

IMG_4374_zpsibdiyrhw.jpg

IMG_6443_zpsv66eq67t.jpg

Then I had to remove the roof mounted lap belt section

IMG_4380_zpsysr0hhvg.jpg

IMG_4382_zpsiwlhjppy.jpg

Personally I think that the new stalks are boring as they just look like modern belts & I lose the cool big chrome buckles with the logos

IMG_4389_zpsrddpyvkd.jpg

The other thing that I hate is how the new 3 point belts really & I mean really hinder access into & out of the rear of the car

IMG_4386_zps8eqkpz4j.jpg

IMG_4387_zpsynmgifem.jpg

I also think that it takes away from the open pillar less look of the Coupe styling now that the belt is hanging down constantly

IMG_4385_zpsqnxldd5e.jpg

The rear belts where lap only, so whilst I can appreciate the upgrade to 3 point in the rear I just wish that they had a set where you get to keep the original style buckles

IMG_6524_zpsfxbxsmed.jpg

The seat needed to come out for this install obviously & that was a little harder than it should have been, I think the design is such that you were expected to have removed the fronts first so that you had room to get in & manhandle the rear seat base out of if locks not looking forward to the next time I have to remove the rear seat I can tell ya

IMG_6525_zpsybufhivs.jpg

To install the top mounting of the retractable belt to the parcel shelf needed a good strong bracket, the belt kit that I got from Morris had supplied such a bracket, it’s good quality & the fit was perfect, it bolted to the inner wheel tub section & then allowed the retractable reel bolt to mount through the parcel shelf.. the engineer passing the car reckoned it was one of the better designed brackets that he had seen…. So that’s good I guess (mind you I have had zero rear seat passengers in the car since I bought it)

IMG_6552_zps1a0gya5g.jpg

New 3 point rear belts all installed

IMG_4434_zpseq8bkfyy.jpg

The very last job that I tackled was another of those silly little visual things… the radio antenna is a design that doesn’t go flush with the fender & that has been making it a pain in the arse to put a cover over the car as It’s always held up & putting pressure on the antenna which the more observant of you will have noticed is crooked anyway…. So it had to go, lots of forums etc told me that the guard needed to come off to do this & I was not going to pull the guard off so I figured that if I tried really hard & was willing to lose all the skin off my knuckles I could do the swap through the door opening

IMG_6531_zpsj2iibjto.jpg

IMG_6533_zpsqjeyzx0p.jpg

IMG_6535_zpsw6chztf6.jpg

I won’t embarrass myself by telling you just how long this simple task took… but think of what you would imaging was a long time for such a simple task & then double that & you’re getting close & yes I did lose a lot of skin & blood getting this done. But the new antenna is in & is straight (enough) when up & more importantly is flush when down…

IMG_6536_zps58ceotin.jpg

IMG_6537_zpspdww6vgc.jpg

And that’s it…. This thread is up to date now.. I’ve put over 1000 miles on the car since I’ve had it now & on weekends it’s been my daily driver for everything from quick trips to get milk to long country drives… I just love this car, it handles so well (except for how the rear sloshes about a little more than I’d really like during spirited driving on winding roads) & drives so smoothly that it’s just a pleasure to be in on any road in any conditions.

Now of course Winter is coming here, so I do have some more jobs planned for the weekends when the weather is too bad to take her out & I have a break from working on the XB (mega thread update coming on that soon), in no particular order the jobs are:

Fit the new AC system I have on the shelf in the shed
    Fix the windows, none of them line up right & I think that the rollers on the rears have collapsed & failed fully
    New tires, possibly new wheels not sure on that yet
    Fit a rear sway bar
    Replace the rear air shocks as they don’t hold air for more than a day

That’s about it for now, I’m sure I’ll find more things I want to fix or update as we go… but for now the plan is no job that takes the car off the road for more than a day, I’m just loving driving her too much for that.

So I did some more work on the GTO over the last few weeks, I went to go for a drive one day & she just wouldn’t idle at all.. was fine when revved & driving but she just wouldn’t idle kept stalling & felt like it was running on 7.

Some investigation later & it was the needle & seat in the Carb that was covered in crap that was causing the issue, it couldn’t seal & so was just pouring fuel in at idle

46D3AB44-9165-4A2D-8D3D-503AF0581D2A_zpsvtvdbl4c.jpg

Whilst the Carb was apart to clean up the needle & seats I noticed that there is a lot of crud, crap & rust inside the carb body, I assume this is because she sat for a while… looks like it time for a new carb

3586F7E4-9BF5-47B6-8FCC-B543096638D8_zpsqpixw7vk.jpg

5DC4AE97-87EB-424D-8FDE-C350DACD1F29_zps54ngyuuh.jpg

D7CC3076-4E6E-4BC5-817E-2BF11AA08104_zpsygoqtj28.jpg

Normally I’m a Holley guy, but this car came with an Edelbrock Carb so I decided to replace like with like, so a shiny new Carb it is then

IMG_6570_zpsueltfyfi.jpg

Swapping out the old Carb for the new is a pretty simple job, only takes about 5 minutes to do jobs like this on an old V8

IMG_6570_zpsueltfyfi.jpg

IMG_6601_zpsdrszodjn.jpg

IMG_6602_zps0z03sbfx.jpg

The last thing for me to sort on this was the throttle return spring, the old one was so worn out it wasn’t doing anything at all to actually close out the throttle fully when you lift off

IMG_6603_zpsizon6vep.jpg

IMG_6604_zpsherkotwf.jpg

IMG_6605_zpsyq8uno3o.jpg

This car never had a manual choke, there is no provision for one in the dash as it sits today either, so I decided that I wanted to fit one as she’s been grumpy to start over the winter on a cold morning after sitting for a week without one. The main thing that I didn’t want to do was drill a hole in the dash so I had to do some thinking to find one I could fit without needing a hole in the dash. I went with a shiny Edelbrock unit

IMG_6684_zps46h1i7hq.jpg

Then I decided to mount it between the first two gauges on my aftermarket gauge holder, you can see the hole punch in the middle of the fingerprint here

IMG_6685_zpswrpbs2xi.jpg

Then drill the hole

IMG_6686_zpsght9m8zk.jpg

Installed it actually looks like it belongs there & doesn’t stand out too much

IMG_6687_zpsg7wihcvl.jpg

Then just hook up the Carb side, too easy job done

IMG_6688_zpsaz5o69do.jpg

Next job is to sort out the rear suspension, the car came with air shocks which I love for being able to set my own ride height easily but they leak badly, so I’d raise the back up in the morning & by the end of the day she’d be sagged in the rear again & on the bump stops by the morning… so a new set of replacement air shocks where ordered

IMG_6643_zpsr7wjdzuh.jpg

So up in the air she went again… I think that I need to buy a 2nd hoist now, it’s so frustrating crawling under a car when I have a hoist (other option is to finish the dodge body work & get it off the hoist I guess)

IMG_6646_zpszd4uiw2k.jpg

As this is a full chassis car it means that the top of the shock is mounted to the chassis & not into the body like the Dodge & the Ford.. so I lost a lot of skin getting these old shocks out & the new ones in

IMG_6647_zpsewlkgvlo.jpg

Old vs new

IMG_6648_zpslyvcp0bf.jpg

New installed

IMG_6649_zpsb530ptie.jpg

I also decided to fit a rear sway bar, you may remember that I replaced the lower rear arms & the new ones had the crush mounts fitted to install one

IMG_6680_zps4z8qtx1u.jpg

so I got a Hotchkiss rear bar for the car

IMG_6678_zps3powma5c.jpg

IMG_6677_zpsypbsrze8.jpg

The install couldn’t have been quicker or easier, just 4 bolts & your done

IMG_6681_zpswxguhcxu.jpg

IMG_6682_zpse8o3wp9h.jpg

It’s made a nice difference to the handling without making it too harsh or stiff, very happy with it.

• Advertisement

The took the car for a drive the other week to a mates place & about 5 minutes before I got to his place she started shaking like she’d dropped a cylinder & there was a horrible grinding & scraping noise coming from the engine bay.. turns out the water pump shat itself & the bearing that runs the impeller died & that had the fan wobbling about like an appendage in a sock, spraying coolant all over the bay & the hood lining for good measure

IMG_6639_zpsvuwzjpx6.jpg

IMG_6638_zpssafkxdwm.jpg

IMG_6640_zpsxg3xista.jpg

IMG_6641_zpshbjjkoll.jpg

That had the old girl coming home on the back of a trailer sadly & then parked up for a week whilst I awaited my new water pump

IMG_7228_zpsjkkogw54.jpg

I decided to go with a high performance light weight alloy version rather than just with an original replacement

IMG_6645_zpskgqbwyeu.jpg

You can see just how broken the bearing is in this pic & how much it started to eat the internal backing plate too, good thing I predicted that & ordered a new backing plate too

IMG_6650_zpseu42zd4v.jpg

IMG_6653_zpsg4f3ronu.jpg

Once the fan & the belts are off it’s only 8 bolts that hold the water pump on

IMG_6652_zpsmrhxuvqw.jpg

All done..

IMG_6675_zpsfxhymlzd.jpg

No whilst doing this job, I noticed that the harmonic balancer on the front of the crank is wobbling a lot more than I’d like, I wonder if the water pump failing & the fan pulling on it has caused that.. so I have ordered a new one & a new pulley too just in case that’s what’s out of round.. so I’ll get around to replacing them when the parts turn up, I’ll also look at fitting the new A/C setup that I have now that we already had our first back to back 30 deg days last week.. so summer is on the way

Right so it’s been well over a year since I’ve updated this thread… why… because this car has just been amazing, I’ve been driving it every chance I can get & I’ve put thousands of miles on it & it hasn’t really missed a beat…. Well until now.

She’d started to overheat & I was doing some research to see if I could figure out what was wrong before I started pulling stuff apart… I spent some time on a GTO forum & I was given two reasons that it might be outside of something major like a cracked head or head gasket failure… those two things where both to do with the water pump.

Some say that the hi-flow alloy water pump that I replaced the failed original with was simply too good & the water was being pumped thru the rad too fast & as such it was never cooling enough in the rad & the water coming back into the engine was simply too high. The other option I was given was that the gap between the water pump & the sandwich plate was too large & that meant that the water was actually bypassing the pump & not being sent to the rad at all.

I decided to buy a shiny new OEM spec water pump in case it was the hi-flow pump causing my issue

IMG_7456_zpseckgjiqt.jpg

So nothing for it but to pull the water pump off…

IMG_7458_zpsnekkjion.jpg

IMG_7459_zpsk3cfsiyx.jpg

IMG_7460_zps3t2xov6a.jpg

IMG_7461_zpsapiw2njq.jpg

Here you can see the sandwich plate

IMG_7462_zps0twbsvom.jpg

Now I’ve been informed that the gap between the impeller & the plate should be a 1mm-1.5mm….. mine was a little larger than that as you can see

IMG_7463_zpswdqibbd6.jpg

After some hammer work.. this look better

IMG_7464_zpsax5xjz4o.jpg

Now fast forward a few weeks & this has not fixed the issue… more symptoms showed up & I started to fear the worst, this is either a head gasket or a cracked head that’s causing my overheating issue…. So I quickly got the Camaro back together & off the hoist so I could put the GTO on & pull the engine

I’m hoping that this is a very obvious gasket failure once I have the heads off, but there are a few other leaks & the whole engine needs painting so I’ve opted to pull the engine out rather than do the heads in the car

Step one, pull the bonnet off

IMG_7535_zpsuxz2mjdx.jpg

Then find somewhere to keep it safe, so I’m using my Challenger to stack it on

IMG_7537_zpscbozw4u9.jpg

I’ve decided to separate the engine & gearbox instead of pulling them out as one, so first job is to disconnect the engine flywheel from the torque convertor

IMG_7538_zpshmtfmuxt.jpg

IMG_7543_zpshqzwnnzs.jpg

Starter removed & then disconnect the exhaust from the extractors… the extractors can stay on the engine whilst it comes out

IMG_7546_zpsiumqb6a4.jpg

IMG_7547_zpss4l8sjkp.jpg

Disconnected all the wires & hoses that connect the engine to the car & then hoot up the hoist & yank that big lump out

IMG_7553_zpspvjxyhzi.jpg

IMG_7555_zps6xymigyq.jpg

IMG_7558_zpsddbcyzmh.jpg

I’ll clean up the engine bay & repaint the chassis etc whilst I have the engine out

IMG_7564_zps6yd5yfva.jpg

First job was degreasing & cleaning the engine so it wasn’t too filthy to work on as I took it apart

IMG_7568_zpsjgiomgao.jpg

IMG_7571_zpsqmd0z6vo.jpg

Ok, well the exhaust leak was found… that’ll be an easy fix when I start putting this all back together

IMG_7574_zpscqzylemp.jpg

If I decide to use this extractors again then I’ll get them cleaned & heat treated

IMG_7575_zpsqlrdhjxo.jpg

Started pulling it all apart & just laying stuff out neatly on the bench for now

IMG_7579_zpszgwumruo.jpg

IMG_7580_zpscq1d52zo.jpg

With the intake off it was time to pull the valley pan off & see what the cam, lifters & pushrods look like

IMG_7581_zpsglxdcjde.jpg

IMG_7584_zps1lezdhj9.jpg

IMG_7585_zpse64lilp5.jpg

Loosened off the rockers so I could pull out the pushrods

IMG_7588_zpshrehenu4.jpg

Making sure I keep them in order as putting one back in the wrong spot could be a bad thing

IMG_7589_zpscuggvxpf.jpg

First head off & all the piston tops look the same really, the bores are ok… not too much scoring on them

IMG_7590_zps6e6cmllx.jpg

IMG_7591_zpsprvx3wip.jpg

IMG_7595_zpszgrhfvsj.jpg

The bores have never been worked before it’s a virgin block as they say

IMG_7608_zpsqvtf1nd4.jpg

This head gasket shows no obvious sign of a break, but the water galleries are badly clogged with scale

IMG_7592_zps5tqecogc.jpg

IMG_7594_zpstzux5w1d.jpg

IMG_7593_zpsql7ydzy6.jpg

With the other head off it seems that one piston has been getting steam cleaned… so think I’ve found the offending cylinder

IMG_7598_zpsczzj7kwo.jpg

IMG_7599_zpsir2i97yi.jpg

Again though the head gasket seems perfect…

IMG_7601_zpslf65h49i.jpg

I’m now thinking that the heads may be cracked (the Pontiac 400’s are known for this as a weakness) or it’s such a fine gasket failure that it’s not obvious to me naked eye

Flipped the block over & started undoing the oil pan

IMG_7603_zpsvj74musp.jpg

IMG_7605_zpsihmcfa4q.jpg

Found some little bits floating about in the pan….

IMG_7604_zpsthjvykcd.jpg

So between this little find, the clogged water galleries & the cam was showing some more wear than I’d like… so I put the engine in my trailer & I’ve taken it to an engine shop near me to be fully stripped down, they’ll then chemically clean the block & heads, x-ray both & tell me exactly what we have & then we work out a plan from there…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Just read the thread from start to finish, and the quality of the photos and work is excellent, just like your others. Keep up the good work.

With the engine off at the machine shop getting stripped down, x-rayed & chemically cleaned… the news is all good, the bores are perfect, only a very minor hone will be needed. Seems the heads are not cracked either so it was just a gasket failure that was causing my issues… Now the big question will be how mental to go with the rebuild process… I’m thinking modern Alloy heads is the go for sure & there is a 488ci stroker kit that you can get (that’s 8ltrs in new money)… so I might price that up over the cost of a new 400ci rotating assembly.

As the engine will be a few weeks, I’ve decided to pull the gearbox out too now to clean it & get is checked over… if the new motor will be a lot stronger then it makes sense to ensure that the gearbox is up to the task too..

I had had the front of the gearbox resting on the hoist jack but that wasn’t going to work for getting the box out, so I made up a temp wooden support to take the gearbox weight so I could get the hoist jack out of the way

IMG_7620_zps2tzmssdn.jpg

Took the opportunity then to pull the old trans pan off as the gasket was leaking & the old pan has no drain plug (something of a pet peeve for me).. so off it came & the filter with it

IMG_7623_zps9ypjubvc.jpg

Then fitted the new pan complete with its drain plug so that in the future flushing fluid will be a simple clean task

IMG_7624_zpskksoigbk.jpg

With that done I just slid my gearbox jack (god I love this tool) under the box to take the weight as I removed the tail shaft & the gearbox cross member

IMG_7625_zpszltweh3c.jpg

Then once everything is disconnected you just lower the box out… simples

IMG_7628_zpsoozvudqz.jpg

IMG_7627_zpsddrjh9jk.jpg

Now that the box is out I can take some time to clean up the complete engine bay & tidy that up too

IMG_7626_zpsx4q3gsmn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

you do know that this is going to turn into an epic refurb don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

D's threads tend to Quietsailor. :D I have to say of all the builds/refurbs I've seen down the years on forums on the interwebs D's do stand out. When I get the email notification I get all giddy. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement