Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you will need a car

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1985-lj70-toyota-landcruiser/12816545

To inject a small dose of reality here, this is all the vehicle you will ever need, rugged, dependable, easily maintained, easily adapted, and reasonably priced. If I had the cash this would be a different post, along the lines of - look at my new car

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1985-lj70-toyota-landcruiser/12816545

To inject a small dose of reality here, this is all the vehicle you will ever need, rugged, dependable, easily maintained, easily adapted, and reasonably priced. If I had the cash this would be a different post, along the lines of - look at my new car

Wouldn't be too difficult to stick an MG on the top of it and bolt some steel plate to the side really. Nice little all purpose vehicle. Wonder if we can get recoilless rifles here?

This is the setup you want

Minus the stupid wheels and add a set of mesh screens on the windows.

adding more weight reduces the efectivness of the vehicle, and i think a roof rack is more useful than a machine gun.
    You have a car, therefore you can drive away from danger, Z's arent a problem, and you should be able to outrun other humans, unless they too have Fj 78 landcruisers, in which case they are kindred spirits and you should stop for a chat
    8260f6dacc79aa4449d8e1c8a6e2ad19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

This is the setup you want

Minus the stupid wheels and add a set of mesh screens on the windows.

adding more weight reduces the efectivness of the vehicle, and i think a roof rack is more useful than a machine gun.
    You have a car, therefore you can drive away from danger, Z's arent a problem, and you should be able to outrun other humans, unless they too have Fj 78 landcruisers, in which case they are kindred spirits and you should stop for a chat
    8260f6dacc79aa4449d8e1c8a6e2ad19.jpg

Yes, chat while your friend either places an explosive under said car, or steals it.

See, this is why I'm building Tank traps.

My plan involves rebuilding a society afterwards, thats more difficult if you murder everyone you meet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

To inject a small dose of reality here, this is all the vehicle you will ever need.

catalina_22_sport.jpg?itok=SbG06NaQ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Mercedes Vintage Unimog. Bullet proof easily fixed /repairable diesel engine. Basic tool kit of rock,hammer and leatherman multi tool .Goes from crawler gear to 65mph on road.Lot of parts are compatible with 70s and 80s mercedes cars and trucks.Demountable rear cabin and with front and rear PTO,and 3point linkage you can plough the survivalist garden. ;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blackdragon72

I used to work in the cash transportation business and drove an armoured Merc 814, stonking bug out vehicle, aint no fecker getting in that. Secure as secure is. If you knew what you had to do to get on board you would be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I used to work in the cash transportation business and drove an armoured Merc 814, stonking bug out vehicle, aint no fecker getting in that. Secure as secure is. If you knew what you had to do to get on board you would be surprised.
    What's the milage like on one of those things though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Inject a dose of reality :D

Fuel supplies will be gone almost immediately.

Correctly stored Petrol will only last up to 6 months before it doesnt work anymore.

Diesel will last towards 1 year.

However fuel in car tanks is not correctly stored. It will be dirty in most cases and wont last even close to that amount of time.

Fuel stabilizers might add 50% to those numbers.

But running an engine after society dies is not feasible simply because you dont have access to a fuel supply.

Your safest bet is to Load up a boat on day 1 with as much food as you can and get to a small island and hunker down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The island gets mentioned a lot but I don't think it's going to be anything other than a very temporary solution. Also, if you don't have any experience with boats it's probably a good idea to stay well away from the atlantic ocean.

Island life can be pretty harsh, long term food production could be difficult and if other's have the same idea or come looking for you, you're sort of trapped and isolated, you'll be entirely dependant on being able to out row/sail the other people.

ScumLord wrote: »
    What's the milage like on one of those things though?

Not too bad really considering they weigh 7.5T! Reliability was only an issue for us due to all the computers on board. Apparently they are happy to take sustained fire from a GPMG though not sure how long for.

Why would you be taking sustained fire, you are in a vehicle, drive away.

Fuel is not as big an issue as people think, BioDiesel is fairly handy to make, and a lot of those big engines will run on vegetable oil anyway.

A decent maintenance schedule at a secure and well stocked base of operations will see your vehicle last a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Why would you be taking sustained fire, you are in a vehicle, drive away.

Fuel is not as big an issue as people think, BioDiesel is fairly handy to make, and a lot of those big engines will run on vegetable oil anyway.

A decent maintenance schedule at a secure and well stocked base of operations will see your vehicle last a very long time.

How many rounds do you think a GPMG could get off as you are driving away?

British Army GPMG (as was)
    Calibre 7.62mm
    Muzzle velocity 838m/s
    Feed 100-round disintegrating link belt
    Effective range 800m light role, 1800m sustained fire role
    Cyclic rate of fire 750 rounds per minute

750 Rpm is a theoretical maximum, the belt is 100 rounds long, and realistically the weapons are only fired in short bursts, otherwise the barrel melts. Then theres the 'spray gun' nature of the weapon, 50% accuracy would be fairly good for an average apocalypse survivor, and that would be for close range encounters.So if you were hit more than 200 rounds in your escape you would have ****ed up seriously

Especially when the possibility of a raid when i worked with the company would involve a road block which would not be small enough to ram out the way. The bad guys will be able to put a lot of rounds your way. Chances of a GPMG are remote but AK's are common enough as well as explosives. If someone is going to attack you on the road they are going to make sure you are not going to drive out of it.

Advertisement