Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Can someone tell me tubs intro music? Please

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not a terribly objective critique, but you are entitled to your opinion.
    ah he's on the button really

• Registered Users Posts: 71,261 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Can someone tell me tubs intro music? Please

'S.E.C.R.E.T' by Delorentos

Surprised Dave hasn't played '1979' by Smashing Pumpkins 40 times yet this morning!

'Mellon Collie' released on this day, TWENTY years ago! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

honeybear wrote: »
    I don't know what Moncrieff earns but he puts in an entertaining 3 hour show every day!

1 hour of "emmmm ahhhhh ehhhhh ummmm ahhhh"
    1 hour of interviews with American people
    1 hour of filler time, trying to be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    1 hour of "emmmm ahhhhh ehhhhh ummmm ahhhh"
    1 hour of interviews with American people
    1 hour of filler time, trying to be funny.

Ah Ryan, don't be bitchy about real talent. Listen and learn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

ah he's on the button really

Don't agree Ash, the late GR was a past master at working the corporate goodie field.

Liked to think of himself as a "man of the people" but he had about as much in common with 'the people' with his lifestyle and salary as I have with the Saudi Royal family.

Bit like the Dufficer does now, all anti on the radio but cheek by jowel in real life.

I'm surprised a sharp lad like yersell was taken in by a radio persona, which is a bit like an Internet persona- all an act:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Don't agree Ash, the late GR was a past master at working the corporate goodie field.

Liked to think of himself as a "man of the people" but he had about as much in common with 'the people' with his lifestyle and salary as I have with the Saudi Royal family.

Bit like the Dufficer does now, all anti on the radio but cheek by jowel in real life.

I'm surprised a sharp lad like yersell was taken in by a radio persona, which is a bit like an Internet persona- all an act:rolleyes:
    I'll tell you a story and you can tell me what you think.

Gerry was chatting on our national airwaves to some guy about a port development in Dublin. It was some time in the early Noughties. Gerry was all for it and yer man was a skeptic. The conversation was civil enough until the man said something, rather oblique, that suggested Gerry was only supporting the project because he was in awe of the rich and powerful sponsors. Well, Gerry went ballistic, said he would never form an opinion for such reasons. He went on to say that to so do would make him a 'wanker'. He was very agitated and just about shouting. Very much of the opinion that he, Gerry Ryan, was not such a person. I don't think it was an act and I'll be surprised if any official record of that conversation survived the week it was recorded.

This little incident would suggest to me that being 'a man of the people' was something that GR took very seriously. How successful he was will always a debatable matter.

The big question is: Who else is even trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

mbur wrote: »
    I'll tell you a story and you can tell me what you think.

Gerry was chatting on our national airwaves to some guy about a port development in Dublin. It was some time in the early Noughties. Gerry was all for it and yer man was a skeptic. The conversation was civil enough until the man said something, rather oblique, that suggested Gerry was only supporting the project because he was in awe of the rich and powerful sponsors. Well, Gerry went ballistic, said he would never form an opinion for such reasons. He went on to say that to so do would make him a 'wanker'. He was very agitated and just about shouting. Very much of the opinion that he, Gerry Ryan, was not such a person. I don't think it was an act and I'll be surprised if any official record of that conversation survived the week it was recorded.

This little incident would suggest to me that being 'a man of the people' was something that GR took very seriously. How successful he was will always a debatable matter.

The big question is: Who else is even trying?

How does that anecdote disprove the point? We all know GR was articulate and passionate. Who's to say he couldn't also get defensive when apparently called out on the undeniable fact that the qualified barrister, a dentist's son, with a well-paid role in the national broadcaster and a very swanky house in Clontarf, was at the heart of the Establishment?

I'd agree he became isolated from "the people", but the current lot apart fanning never had any connection at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Depression and suicide , novel areas for Ryan and RTE to explore....

Quite surreal hearing Ryan talking to Randy from Lamb Of God!

This is your motherf***ing invitation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Just heard the promo there. Brendan O'Connor is covering the show tomorrow, presumably Tubridy is playing dress up with the children all day. Interview with Cathal Pendred which should be interesting. A lot more interesting than it would be with the pencil asking the questions anyway..

cathal's sound

Ryan broadcasting live from Dublin Airport today!

WARNING: Al Porter!

Divert all flights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ryan broadcasting live from Dublin Airport today!

With a bit of luck, he might get on a plane out of the country! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Let's hope it's not as cringeworthy as The Nicky Byrne show yesterday with himself and Jenny running around the terminal like Anneka Rice in treasure hunt trying to capture live tears.
    " so when's the last time you saw him" " how long have they been away for " "are you emotional" "what's the first thing you're gonna do" " are you gonna cry"

Christ it was God damn awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭thesandeman

You got it word for word.

Outside broadcast + Al Porter + Camembert Quartet + Tubridy for an HOURS worth of a show?

That Paddy Cullivan guy really REALLY annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Outside broadcast + Al Porter + Camembert Quartet + Tubridy for an HOURS worth of a show?

That Paddy Cullivan guy really REALLY annoys me.

eh..who is Paddy Cullivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭thesandeman

The 4 Cheeses.

Singer with the band.

Anybody else find that Dave Fanning (sitting in for Tubs) is rude to the guests? Always interrupting with 'Nonononohangonaminute'.

Most frightfully rude.

*adjusts monocle*

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Anybody else find that Dave Fanning (sitting in for Tubs) is rude to the guests? Always interrupting with 'Nonononohangonaminute'.

Most frightfully rude.

*adjusts monocle*

I agree, but that last lady he interviewed - albeit a distressing story - would put years on you, she had the most nasal, annoying delivery imaginable.

*selects a different cravat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Will be interesting to see how the NT change will affects Tubridy. He has some real competition for the first time. It's great being able to switch on Pat Kenny at 9am, I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way.

This phone-in quiz is more complicated than anything on '3-2-1' with Ted Rogers!

Marty's Party!

Don't tell me Ryan takes November 22nd. off, just to commemorate JFK :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Marty's Party!

Don't tell me Ryan takes November 22nd. off, just to commemorate JFK :D

Thats it !
    I knew 22 November was historical !

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The day the Ice Age ended

• Advertisement