Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mustard Recipes

• 25-05-2004 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Maybe one for a sticky?

Mustard Steak:

Coat steak in mix of 3 tblsp English Mustard with 1 Tblsp Worcester sauce and a pinch of parsley.

Cook to preference alongside onions in the same pan

Bayou-style beans:

Boil green beans and drain.

Add 1 tbsp Mustard, 1 tsp sugar and 2 tsp worcester sauce. mix well and heat to sizzle (sauce will start to thicken and coat the beans). Add a splash of red wine and mix to a sizzle again and serve.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

SPINACH SALAD WITH HONEY - DIJON MUSTARD DRESSING

DRESSING:

1/2 c. oil, vegetable, safflower, cannola, etc.
    1/2 c. red wine vinegar with garlic
    1/4 c. honey, light in color
    1/4 c. homemade chili sauce, available at Vons
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp. Dijon mustard, not regular
    1 to 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced thin 4 med. mushrooms, sliced thin 1/4 of a purple onion, sliced thin 1/2 lbs. of bacon, cooked crisp then chilled in the refrigerator

Mix dressing in a glass jar, add the purple onions to it and shake well. Chill for 30 minutes. Meanwhile wash spinach well and remove stems. Drain and set aside in large bowl. Add sliced egg and mushrooms and toss with salt and pepper. Just before serving crumble chilled bacon and toss into salad. Do not add dressing until ready to serve. Shake dressing very well. Pour over salad, toss and serve.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭fitz

Kindof a variation on Ruthies, just for a nice salad dressing:

Mix half cup of olive oil, tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, tablespoon of wholegrain mustard, juice of half a lemon. Mix well, drizzle over cold salad of choice.

Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

this is very simple, my mum used to make it

mums are great espicially mustard meal making mums

coat a few pork chops with colmans mustard to taste, sprinkle brown sugar on it, now fry that sweet mess for 10 mins in a little oil, turning occasionally, serve with the usual "spuds and beans"

ps remember to soak the pan for a while before you go to clean it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by syke
    Mustard Steak:

Coat steak in mix of 3 tblsp English Mustard with 1 Tblsp Worcester sauce and a pinch of parsley.

Cook to preference alongside onions in the same pan

Just gave this one a go. Gives the meat an interesting flavour that I wouldn't have associated with Mustard if I didn't know I'd put it there myself :)
    I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Thread stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

4 cream crackers.
    1 table spoon on english mustard.
    2 slices of cheese (i prefer sliced superquinn chedder but ive tried it with processed singles and its pretty good)

place half a slice of cheese on each cracker followed by an evenly spread dollop of english mustard. stack 2 chackers on each other and enjoy a tangy quick snack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Ingredients:
    1 mate of yours from Germany who brought back a load of German beer and some Loewensenf mustard.

8 pints of Guinness.

One bag of weed.

Pumpernickel.

One pack of liqorice Rizlas.

**** all else to eat.

Method
    1. Drink Guinness and stagger in talking absolute sh1te.

2. Drink beer and smoke weed.

3. Eat all the pumpernickel (whatever the hell that is) dip in mustard.

4. Drink more and smoke more.

5. Realise there's nothing else in the house.

6. Sit there dipping liqorice Rizlas in mustard and savour the taste- best damn eatin' I've ever had I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Coat any joint of meat in mustard - beef, lamb, pork, ham, it's all good - before you roast it and OH YES IT'S GOOD. Be liberal. It's especially good for meat that is not of the highest quality - if you cook a leg of mutton (for example) in mustard for slowly over a whole day you're left with an incredibly tender joint.

Also, you can make a great marinade for chicken drumsticks by mixing wholegrain mustard, apple juice, honey and salt. Let the chicken sit in the marinade for a good two hours before cooking.

I coated a turkey joint in honey and wholegrain mustard last week before roasting, and then used the juices to make the gravy. Sweet mustardy grainy gravy!

Odd, but delicious. Like me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thereallyreal

Buy chicken thighs from lidl - €1.99

Mix together mustard, orange juice, garlic and a few spoonfuls of marmalade to make a sauce.

Put chicken in a cooking dish, cover with the sauce and bung into a hot oven until cooked.

Serve with rice or pasta

Yummy!!!!

The amount of mustard added can be changed according to taste

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's an easy one. Fry some pork chops, and heat the grill.

Grate some cheese and mix with mustard ( I like Coleman's for this). Spread the paste on one side of the chops and place under the grill until the cheese is bubbling.

simple yet tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I googled this after reading this thread
    Zaansemosterdsoep (Dutch Mustard Soup)
    Makes 1 litre (4 cups)

1 litre water
    2 chicken or vegetable broth cubes
    125 ml (1/2 cup) creme fraiche*
    2 tablespoons mustard, with whole mustard grains
    125 ml smeerkaas (spreadable cheese; you want it to melt well)
    4 tablespoons cornstarch
    salt and pepper
    1 spring onion, chopped
    bacon bits

Bring water to boil. Add creme fraiche, mustard and cheese; whip until smooth. Add cornstarch. When the soup thickens, add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with onion. Serve with bacon bits on the side.

I haven't tried this myself, Might do so in the near/distant future though. If I do, I'll follow up.

*Mix together 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup sour cream. Let sit in warm place for 12 hours in a sealed container. Stir. Refrigerate for 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 padster

honey and mustard dressin damm feckin good i tells ye
    whole grain musdard a fanny full
    orange juice a half pint
    olive oil not xtra virgin get some from the 3rd pressing
    lemon juice half cup also some sugar 3 or 4 spoons 2 eggs ok put all of the above in a blender apart from the oil which you add gradually to the mixture whrn the blender is running simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Ok here's a recipe I got recently from my hero of the moment Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall of River Cottage fame, a nice mustardy recipe.

The first is a classic rarebit and then a simple variant that adds a few leaks for substance.

Ingredients to serve 4

50g Butter
    50g Flour
    300ml ale ( not brown ale, a pale variety, no lager)
    English Mustard ( although I have also varied it with wholegrain with guiness)
    Lee & Perrins
    150g Mature cheddar (preferably mature)
    4 Doorsteps of white loaf

For Leeky Variant, makes a more substantial meal of it.
    Tsp Olive oil
    knob of butter
    2 medium leeks

Instructions:
    Add 50g butter to a saucepan on a medium heat ( dont burn the butter) and melt this then add 50g of flour and cook out to make a roux add the 300ml of warmed ale to the roux slowly enough stirring pretty vigorously so that you get a non-lumpy sauce. When all ale is added then add the 150g of cheese and mix it through until it is melted and you have a cheesy aley goo. If you are not adding leeks it is now almost ready. Season the beer mixture to taste with some Lee & Perrins and some english mustard, normally a good splash of worcester and a tsp of mustard is about enough.
    Toast the doorsteps on both sides then spoon the gooey mixture over each slice dividing evenly between the four slices then grill until it starts to bubble and go brown on top. Serve immediately ( with the ale leftovers mmmm )

For the leeky version
    Slice the leeks fairly finely then add to a pan with oil and butter (the oil added to the butter stops it burning) in and sautee until the leaks are sweated down and soft, add these to the cheesy mixture just before seasoning with worcester and mustard and proceed as before.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Dijon Honey Mustard Turkey Cutlets

Baste turkey with Dijon, honey on grill. Turkey cutlets lend themselves to summertime grilling, especially served alongside barbecued vegetables.

So they don't stick to barbecue grill, rub lightly with oil or use a non-stick vegetable spray while the grill is cold. During cooking never pierce turkey with a fork. Instead turn it with a spatula or tongs to keep the juices in. Dijon Honey Turkey Cutlets
    60 mL ( 1/4 cup) vegetable oil
    60 mL ( 1/4 cup) honey
    60 mL ( 1/4 cup) Dijon mustard
    15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice
    1 clove minced garlic, freshly ground pepper, to taste
    Dijon Honey Mustard Turkey Cutlets

Baste turkey with Dijon, honey on grill. Turkey cutlets lend themselves to summertime grilling, especially served alongside barbecued vegetables.

So they don't stick to barbecue grill, rub lightly with oil or use a non-stick vegetable spray while the grill is cold. During cooking never pierce turkey with a fork. Instead turn it with a spatula or tongs to keep the juices in. Dijon Honey Turkey Cutlets
    60 mL ( 1/4 cup) vegetable oil
    60 mL ( 1/4 cup) honey
    60 mL ( 1/4 cup) Dijon mustard
    15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice
    1 clove minced garlic, freshly ground pepper, to taste
    4 turkey cutlets/steaks

In a shallow dish, combine vegetable oil, honey, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic and pepper.

Add cutlets and marinate at least two hours or overnight. Turn cutlets occasionally.

Preheat grill to medium heat, brush with oil if desired. Grill cutlets 10 to 15 cm (4 to 6 inches) above coals for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until no longer pink in centre.

If cutlets are not available, cut 450 g (1 lb) boneless, skinless turkey breast into 6 mm (-inch) slices

Makes 4 servings

"Mammy Amz" made a srcumdiddlyumptious salad dressing this evening with mustard in it. I'll post the recipe in the morning, it had red wine vinegar, olive oil, grapeseed oil, mustard and something else in it.

Mmmmustard ...

Originally posted in Newbie FAQ.
    ICadvisor wrote:
    Hi Amz,

Your post made me laugh :D Here's a dead simple recipe I found online a while back for "Champagne Mustard". if you don't have Champagne vinegar a good quality white wine will do the trick too, or add equal parts real Champagen and white vinegar together.

• 2/3 cup Champagne vinegar
    • 2/3 cup Dry mustard
    • 3 Eggs
    • 3/4 cup Sugar
    Combine vinegar and mustard . Beat eggs and sugar. Add egg and sugar mixture to mustard mixture in top of double boiler over boiling water, stirring until thick. Refrigerate. Serve with baked ham, potatoes, or anything you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

This is a recipe for an orientally beef broth i made one day. Give it a whack.

Beef
    Mustard-I used Dijon
    Chili
    Garlic
    Sesame oil
    Teryaki
    Mirin
    A couple of eggs.

Any cut of beef that will be tender enough after a swift searing and short simmer will do- Use centreloin if broke, fillet if loaded.

Slice as finely as you can- go across the grain.

Smash and chop garlic and chilis- seeds in or out depending on personal taste. Stir into enough dijon to liberally coat beef. Leave for whenever.

Heat sesame oil with a splash of veg oil until almost smoking. Throw in beef. Sizzle. Good big splash of Soy and Mirin. Add water. Check for seasoning and flavour- if weak add a stock cube, more soy, chili sauce, whatever you got in your stock cupboard. Wasabi works well.

Reduce heat to an active simmer. Beat eggs. Pour in steady steam into broth. Draw a figure of 8 in the broth using a chopstick to seperate egg strands. Take off heat and serve straight away.

If you have a deep fat fryer, or chip pan, Do a few prawn crackers up and float on top with some finely shredded cucumber and scallions.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭daithi

How did you ever live without it? a must for every mustard lovers book shelf
    The Colmans Mustard Cookbook:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904573150/qid=1122930095/sr=8-11/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i11_xgl/202-5827237-0144619

Also recipes from their website: http://www.colmansmustard.com/recipes.html

Also Recipes for mustard (what i thought this thread was about) so nobody need be diaspointed any more

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/509/0.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hamiltron

Morning after sandwich:

1. Grill 2 rashers, place on thick slice of slightly toasted bread.
    2. Mix some leftover mashed potato and grated cheese with good dollops of Colman's English Mustard and Hellman's Real Mayonnaise (my wife is a real bran- name woman). Place on top of rashers.
    3. Grill this under a moderate grill until mixture is getting bubbly/brown (depends on how quantity of cheese in the mixture).
    4. Top with another slice of the thick slightly toasted bread.

Bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Gut Buster Toastie

Two slice of white bread fried liberally with anchor butter until fully soaked in. Three thick hickory smoked Divilly's rashers, two soft fried eggs shoved in fried bread. Oh yeh, broil some black and white pudding for half an hour and then lightly fry in butter and coat with Coleman's English Mustard, and shove in the fried bread with a squirt of HP brown and a squirt of Heinz Tommy K and maybe get a fried beef sausage in there too.

Another bread to use is Sunblest white soda farls, fried in quarter pound of butter and all the stuff above shoved in it with a couple of slices of fried veggy role, and a few bits of Mother's Pride potato bread fried in butter and shoved in there as well, and a bit more Tommy K.

I've never seen the seen the trade-off between quality of life and life expectancy so neatly summed up in terms of a sandwich before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

You can notch it up a bit more by transposing the mustard for either hot lime pickle or vindaloo paste or for top heat a Phal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'm Feckin Starvin after reading this, it's a fried egg two slices of bread loads of butter and quarter a pot of Colemans english for me. Mmmmmm.....

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bikini

best thing to do with mustard is spread it on fish (anyone ya fancy) and put it under the grill....takes 10 mins and is yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Hi everyone, First time visiting here, don't see my favourite maybe I'm weird. Colemans, bovril and honey. I won't cook any meat without it. Often add cider but only a little into food. Wife and kids waiting to be served when I cook. I've never dvulged my secret before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds -- coarsely ground
    1/4 cup brown or yellow mustard powder
    1/4 cup cold water
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar -- or cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Grind the mustard seeds to the texture you desire. Mix the mustard powder and ground seeds with the water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and salt; blend well. Refrigerate overnight before using.

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup mustard seeds
    2 teaspoons mustard powder
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup raspberry jam,seedless

Directions:

Whirl mustard seeds, mustard powder and water in blender 1 minute until coarsely pureed to paste. Let stand at room temperature at least 2 hours. Combine mustard mixture, wine, vinegar and salt in top of small double boiler.

Cook over boiling water, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return to blender. Add raspberry jam. Whirl until well mixed. Refrigerate in covered container at least overnight or up to 1 month.

Ooh, that looks interesting. A friend of mine was living in Wisconsin a couple of years ago and said he sent me home a jar of raspberry mustard but I never got my mitts on it. I must get around to making that once I get back into a useable kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

Mash a load of spuds

Add S&P to taste and some Wholegrain Mustard and some fresh chives

try it with glazed ham !!!!!

I'll be posting pics of some guinness mustard later but as a prelude maybe someone would like to try this....

BEEF BRAISED WITH DIJON MUSTARD AND
    GUINNESS SAUCE

2 lbs. beef for stewing
    2 onions, peeled and chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 c. mushrooms, cut into quarters
    2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch lengths
    1 bay leaf
    3 tbsp. mixed fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary and parsley)
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    2 c. Guinness
    2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp. tomato paste
    1/2 c. flour
    2 c. beef stock
    Salt and pepper to taste

Season and flour the beef. Brown the beef in oil over high heat. Add the vegetables and herbs and let cook a few minutes. Meanwhile, mix well the Guinness, mustard, tomato paste and beef stock in a bowl and add to the beef. Braise in a preheated oven 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Adjust seasoning and serve.

• Advertisement

Ingredients
    Amount Ingredient Preparation
    1/4 cup dry mustard
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1/3 cup white wine dry
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 each egg yolks
    lime mustard
    3/4 teaspoon lime peel grated
    1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
    tarragon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon tarragon crushed
    spicy mustard
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric ground
    1/4 teaspoon cloves ground
    tomato mustard
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 tablespoon pimiento finely chopped
    1/2 cup tomato paste

Directions
    Blend all ingredients except egg yolks and let stand 2 hours. Beat egg yolks into mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, over hot (not boiling) water until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Cover and store in refrigerator for up to a month.

LIME MUSTARD: When adding egg yolks, also add lime peel and juice and follow basic mustard recipe. Serve with lamb, chicken or fish.

TARRAGON MUSTARD: When adding egg yolks, also add tarragon and follow basic mustard recipe. Serve with lamb, chicken, shrimp or steaks.

SPICY MUSTARD: When adding egg yolks, also add turmeric and cloves and follow basic mustard recipe. Serve with ham, hamburgers or hot dogs.

Advertisement