Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Non-Traditional' explained

• 21-08-2007 1:29am

Just to alleviate some possible confusion about the above word...

Most colleges contain students aged between 17 and 20 who are just out of secondary school and fly straight in. Other students, including Mature Students, are often referred to by college admin and others are 'non-traditional' students, as in the past these students were not representated at college. However, your own definition of tradition and however many years a tradition is spread over is a whole other debate :)

So, this board caters for mature students, students with disabilities, students from socio-economically disadvantaged areas, young school leavers, 'second chance' students, students from Traveller backgrounds, and other groups whom I can't think of now but are welcome to ask questions!

Some people find the label of 'non-traditional' offensive. Please note, speaking for the purposes of this board, that it isn't intended to cause offense. Please also note that I was attempting to be as PC as possible in the above descriptions, so if I misnamed a group of people or caused offense, again it was not intended.

If there are any questions, feel free to comment in this thread or start a new thread :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CoolDruid

Hi There Myth, have a look at maturestudentsireland.blogspot.com
    I would be interested in your thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 susie_soho

am I non-traditional cause I'm from abroad but from a country within the EU??? actually, I thought I was not but I'm getting really confused from reading the handbook, hope this is normal:o

I am not 100% sure but I believe if you aare from an EU country and are under 23years old, you are a normal joe; traditional.

If you have disabilities which are officially recognised by Irish establishment you may be deemed non-traditional.

If you are a traveller you would be non-traditional. You have to be born a traveller you cannot become one.

Your best bet is to move here and sign on the dole for at least a year, or if you are female you could have a baby and that would guarantee you BTEA.

Good luck
    CoolDruid.:o

CoolDruid wrote: »
    or if you are female you could have a baby and that would guarantee you BTEA.

i'm not that desperate, but thanks;)

Monetary Income Rights for Lone Parents (23+) who return to Education in 2008

Single Parent Student One Child of School going age;[1] Weekly Monthly Annually

One Parent Family Payment/ B.T.E.A.(197.80 +24 per child)[2]
    Child Benefit (One Child)
    Early Childcare Supplement
    Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance
    Rent\Mortgage Support (Dublin rate)
    Medical Card (Monetary valued at €700 per person per year)[3]

Maintenance Grant
    Special Rate ‘Top-Up’
    Cost of Education Allowance

Total ‘guaranteed’ Income per year;
    Per 3 year Degree Course; €101,271.00

Divided by 52 = €649 cash per week.
    Any (social welfare) student is entailed to apply for extra funding including E.S.F(500)+S.A.F. (300) = €800 per year
    Part time/summer earnings ceiling without effecting benefits;60% of lone parents work part-time[4]
    60 pw

Maintenance from the child’s other parent
    65 pw
    Total possible extra income;

€7300

Total ‘possible’ income cash Income per year;
    Per 3 year Degree Course; €123,171.00
    €41,057
    Divided by 52= €789 cashper week.

Comparisons;
    • According to Deloitte & Touche[5] tax calculator, you need a job earning €42,500 per year to €660 cash per week after tax and PRSI, and a €56,000 per year job to receive €800 cash per week after tax and PRSI.
    • The average industrial wage in 2007 €32,000. €495 per week after tax.
    • Full Time Crèche in NUI Maynooth for one child is €137.50 per week for a student (36X137.50) = €4,950 per term. (Grants available).
    • The average cost for one child for a working parent is €180 per week, three times the EU average. This amounts to 38% of the take-home pay of the average Irish worker.[6] (180x48 = €8,640 per year).
    [1] All figures can be checked on http://www.citizensinformation.ie

[2] Including Christmas Bonus (53x 207.1= 10976.30)

[3] WWW.comhairle.ie/social/social_research_MedicalCardReport.html

[4] www.treoir.ie/pdfs/workplace.pdf

[5] http://www.deloitte.ie/taxcalculator/DT_TaxCalculator.html

[6] http://www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonshow/1069656.html

• Advertisement

O_o how come you know all that? incredible...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

CoolDruid wrote: »

Total ‘guaranteed’ Income per year;
    Per 3 year Degree Course; €101,271.00

Divided by 52 = €649 cash per week.

This makes me sick... €101,271??? for getting pregnant?!

Just because i'm barely under the 23 mark and am not silly enough to try and bring up a child on my own- without a degree, I have to work 35 hours a week as well as going to classes 30 hours a week just to make ends meet and get ZERO from the government for educating myself.

Its just wrong. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yummum

ok, thats aload of crock...
    im a single mother in college, the loan parent changes title to BTEA, u dont get extra cash.im paying 175 a wk for rent and get half of that as rent allowance, and then i have to pay remainder from BTEA as well as 160 a wk creche and the BTEA is only 200e u do the maths but it leaves F*** all for food, never mind bills..
    dont get me wrong every bit helps, but i cant wait to qualify earn my own money and actually be able to get hair cut if want, or to go out once and while, last time i went out with friends was may and took wks for me to catch up money wise...
    and as for maintenance- anything i get off the dad, welfare minus it off my rent so bak to square one.......
    so trust me it not a reason in my eyes to get pregnant. i love my daughter but it so hard and welfare constantly sendin me forms for review and doin spot checks to make sure i live on own with daughter...
    like i said i cant wait to quialify=only 3 yrs left.

'am not silly enough to try and bring up a child on my own- without a degree'
    im insulted by that- im not goin to sit on my ass living off welfare just cause i have a baby. i worked for 7 yrs and paid tax so i see it as im gettin a little help while i get an education, MY TAX bak.
    my daughter is my motivation to get a qualification, buy our own hse and not have smug single minded people, stereotyping me because i got pregnant by my boyfriend and he fecked off wit someone else as soon as she was born..
    THANK YOU very much!
    yummum very annoyed the way people percieve single mothers in education.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

'This makes me sick... €101,271??? for getting pregnant?!

Just because i'm barely under the 23 mark and am not silly enough to try and bring up a child on my own- without a degree, I have to work 35 hours a week as well as going to classes 30 hours a week just to make ends meet and get ZERO from the government for educating myself.

Its just wrong. :mad:'

YOU KNOW WHAT MAKES ME SICK??
    you do!!
    I have been working for ten years and paid tax, I have absolutely no complaints to make about single mothers who have decided to educate themselves and further themselves taking every cent I have paid..

they have gotten up and decided to do something!!

these people who have been unemployed for years and still claim the dole.. they are the sickening ones..

foreigners who have never paid one cent of tax in this or any other country who dont even bother looking for a job.. sickening..

people who claim the dole while working and getting paid twice... thats sickening...

jumping on people who are trying their very best to survive on what little they are given.. sickening..

I know your quite young, and obviously havent had much life experience yet.. but please remember you could EASILY become one of these people you have said makes you sick... its very easy happen..

Also my father worked 75 hour weeks from the time I was born until I was 16 and started working too... manual labour.. so dont complain about it.. its very unattractive, and makes you sound weak and bitchy. Before you say it, I am not a mother, or a student yet.. but you really got under my skin with your thoughtlessness!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Enough already.

You have both been infracted. Please behave and stay on topic.

hold on a second.i went on this thread because im a mature student...
    then someone was talkin bout how much single parents get in college, as im one of those too i put the record straight from my point of view..
    then, when someone makes an unfair comment about single parents and i stand up for myself and show how hurt and annoyed i am... i get in trouble.... typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This thread is not for arguing about single mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ckkelly

wow.

what i wouldn't give for 300 - nevermind 600 euro's a week! not that you don't deserve your gov. grants if they are there for you, take 'em. i'm just jealous!

i'm returning home to start my uni course, but silly me, only found out that i have to be resident in the country for a year before i get any funding. gah!

so now... i have absolutely no idea how i'm gonna pay for it. no friggin idea. i lost my job last january and used up all my savings. further proving my powers of planning are pathetic...

anyone know of any social welfare payments available to newly returned poverty stricken 'mature' students?!

social welfare and local council 'sites doing my head in by the way!

thanks guys
    ck

• Registered Users Posts: 36 birdalone

how about a job in a bookshop or the like so that you could read/study lots and be paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ckkelly

birdalone wrote: »
    how about a job in a bookshop or the like so that you could read/study lots and be paid for it?
    yah, you're right you know. need to get on it, i'll get something..

Advertisement