Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

It’s been changed from 22nd to 25th. I double checked my UCD email there ☺️

I made the assumption that because our teaching term starts on the 21st and most other courses starting the 28th, that we wouldn't have orientation the same week. I'm sure we will get further information that's more specific to gem soon. Looking forward to meeting everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

You don’t need any specific laptop or tablet for the course in UCD, you can get whichever device is to your own preference. Our lectures were online from March onwards, and I found it easier than attending lectures in person. They’ll give you the lecture handouts on Brightspace and you can watch the videos at your own pace. Most of the teaching in UCD is lecture based, but in semester 2 of first year and semester 1 of second year there’s about 6 PBL sessions per semester. You also have tutorials, some computer based CAL sessions, clinical skills workshops, anatomy labs etc.

Whilst there are differences between each of the 4 GEM courses, you’ll be a doctor at the end of the 4 years regardless of where you study, so try not to stress too much if you didn’t get your first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 96MEDStudent

Did anyone have UCC as first choice, I see a lot of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Luna73

I’m going DEM route as a mature student in UCC

You don’t need any specific laptop or tablet for the course in UCD, you can get whichever device is to your own preference. Our lectures were online from March onwards, and I found it easier than attending lectures in person. They’ll give you the lecture handouts on Brightspace and you can watch the videos at your own pace. Most of the teaching in UCD is lecture based, but in semester 2 of first year and semester 1 of second year there’s about 6 PBL sessions per semester. You also have tutorials, some computer based CAL sessions, clinical skills workshops, anatomy labs etc.

Whilst there are differences between each of the 4 GEM courses, you’ll be a doctor at the end of the 4 years regardless of where you study, so try not to stress too much if you didn’t get your first choice.

Do you think it will be mainly working from home then with maybe 1 contact day a week or something for first semester for ucd? It's really sad not to be able to be learning altogether and getting to know each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

Do you think it will be mainly working from home then with maybe 1 contact day a week or something for first semester for ucd? It's really sad not to be able to be learning altogether and getting to know each other.
    Tax, I assume ucd along with the other unis will minimalise face to face contact especially with cases rising as they are. They'll prob get students in for labs, tutorials, possibly pbl sessions but otherwise it's going to be remote I imagine :( Not the nicest learning environment but it's a new reality! It's hard to stomach paying those fees when there's a good chance there will be alot of learning at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

UCD sent us an email on Friday and with regard to lectures they mentioned this:

"Your lecturers are working hard to develop your timetables that will allow you to return to campus while also engaging in online elements of your learning. Our planning has taken into account the need to maintain a 2m physical distance where possible. In addition, a significant number of your formal classes will be delivered with 1m social distancing, during which time you will wear face coverings and avoid physical contact. Our planning also takes into account the capacity limits associated with indoor events (currently 50 and due to increase to 100 when phase 4 is implemented) which make it more challenging to support in classroom activities. Current data indicates that most undergraduate students will be in classrooms around 30-70% of the normal schedule, with most graduate students having between 20 and 86% of normal classroom time. These percentages vary between programmes and may well change over time. Large group activities, like lectures, will generally take place through digital methods. Some of these may be streamed so that while a smaller than normal number of students will attend, others will access these lectures online. You will be able to ask questions, contribute to discussions and, with recorded sessions, look back on what you've learned. Methods and systems will vary from module to module. This approach ensures that you will still be able to engage with your programme effectively, and receive the highest quality learning and student experience."

Hopefully you guys will still be able to have a good experience overall - I think all courses are going to be impacted to some extent or another. In terms of meeting the learning objectives etc I think you'll be fine, but the course may be less fulfilling for some people with the need for distancing and working at home.

UCD sent us an email on Friday and with regard to lectures they mentioned this:

"Your lecturers are working hard to develop your timetables that will allow you to return to campus while also engaging in online elements of your learning. Our planning has taken into account the need to maintain a 2m physical distance where possible. In addition, a significant number of your formal classes will be delivered with 1m social distancing, during which time you will wear face coverings and avoid physical contact. Our planning also takes into account the capacity limits associated with indoor events (currently 50 and due to increase to 100 when phase 4 is implemented) which make it more challenging to support in classroom activities. Current data indicates that most undergraduate students will be in classrooms around 30-70% of the normal schedule, with most graduate students having between 20 and 86% of normal classroom time. These percentages vary between programmes and may well change over time. Large group activities, like lectures, will generally take place through digital methods. Some of these may be streamed so that while a smaller than normal number of students will attend, others will access these lectures online. You will be able to ask questions, contribute to discussions and, with recorded sessions, look back on what you've learned. Methods and systems will vary from module to module. This approach ensures that you will still be able to engage with your programme effectively, and receive the highest quality learning and student experience."

Hopefully you guys will still be able to have a good experience overall - I think all courses are going to be impacted to some extent or another. In terms of meeting the learning objectives etc I think you'll be fine, but the course may be less fulfilling for some people with the need for distancing and working at home.

Thanks, we got that too. I should have phrased my question more precisely; is all of first semester lecture based? Or are there practical elements in semester 1?

I'm sure we will get course specific info over next few weeks. The positives are that maybe less pressure for people to find accommodation and save a few quid on commuting, though I was looking forward to the cycling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Indecisivegirl

Thanks, we got that too. I should have phrased my question more precisely; is all of first semester lecture based? Or are there practical elements in semester 1?

I'm sure we will get course specific info over next few weeks. The positives are that maybe less pressure for people to find accommodation and save a few quid on commuting, though I was looking forward to the cycling :)

From what I can remember, we had an anatomy lab once a week every week from the very first week! Then we had clinical skills every two weeks I think! And some tutorials I think (way less than the amount we had in second semester).

From what I can remember, we had an anatomy lab once a week every week from the very first week! Then we had clinical skills every two weeks I think! And some tutorials I think (way less than the amount we had in second semester).

Brilliant, it's great to know there will be some contact. It would be hard to stay motivated at home without it. It's only 12 weeks and then hopefully in semester two there is more face to face learning.

Thanks for the info it really helps putting a shape on things in our minds.

Are you finished or which year are you going into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 CopperTone1

RCSI sent the mature students who were accepted sample timetables of what the coming academic year looks like, so if anyone is interested. Let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Indecisivegirl

Brilliant, it's great to know there will be some contact. It would be hard to stay motivated at home without it. It's only 12 weeks and then hopefully in semester two there is more face to face learning.

Thanks for the info it really helps putting a shape on things in our minds.

Are you finished or which year are you going into?

Yeah having a small bit of contact is better than nothing for sure! Really hoping things are more or less back to normal by semester 2!

I just finished first year so I’m going into 2nd now

• Registered Users Posts: 37 redser1

Does anyone anticipate any further rounds of offers? Its not specified on CAO, the timeline. Got 58 and Limerick but was hoping for UCC....surely further spaces everywhere will come up after acceptance deadline of next Thursday with these offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hopefulsucess

redser1 wrote: »
    Does anyone anticipate any further rounds of offers? Its not specified on CAO, the timeline. Got 58 and Limerick but was hoping for UCC....surely further spaces everywhere will come up after acceptance deadline of next Thursday with these offers?

I'm in the same position but got UCC and wanted UCD, going to email tomorrow and see. Trying to remain optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

redser1 wrote: »

I guess its a possibility. I missed Limerick due to random selection so I haven't given up hope! Congrats anyway on Limerick either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bella11

I'm in the same position but got UCC and wanted UCD, going to email tomorrow and see. Trying to remain optimistic

All 59s got UCD and it’s a few years since it has been 59 without a star so it could go to 58*

Suppose should be grateful we have lectures and that even if they’re online! It could be a lot more challenging for Limerick students at the start especially

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gradmed2020

bella11 wrote: »
    Suppose should be grateful we have lectures and that even if they’re online! It could be a lot more challenging for Limerick students at the start especially

Just wondering what you mean by more challenging for limerick students? Got an offer for limerick just wondering if I'm out of the loop on something?

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about UL campus? Got offered campus but it's a lot more expensive than staying off campus. Has anyone heard any experience of this, is it worth the money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Just wondering what you mean by more challenging for limerick students? Got an offer for limerick just wondering if I'm out of the loop on something?

I think they mean because its problem based learning. I've heard it was very well done online though last semester from someone so don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoundPony

ma003 wrote: »
    I think they mean because its problem based learning. I've heard it was very well done online though last semester from someone so don't worry!

Yea honestly PBL is the same online. It was well done. UL said they are trying to get 1st and 2nd years in person in PBL for the first few weeks at least but even if they don't it won't be an issue for people in my first hand experience.

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about UL campus? Got offered campus but it's a lot more expensive than staying off campus. Has anyone heard any experience of this, is it worth the money?

PM what building you got offered and I'll give you the full info. There is a lot of variance in the quality.

On campus is very handy in a normal year but won't be as beneficial with online learning. It is great to be on campus when you have a lot of in person teaching to minimize the wasted time - the amenities, free gym membership, running trails, etc are much closer than if you are off campus so it is much easier to study and still be active. Plus there was some peer led teaching and society meetings that happened in the evening so it was nice to be 2 minutes away. But given you will have less in person time this year, the benefit wouldn't outweigh the cost for me. Plus the gym is still a field hospital until November so will be closed anyway.

A lot of second years have decided to skip on campus and go off this year. You will definitely get off campus housing a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NiceMedBoy

Anyone received any email off UCD yet (besides the garda vetting one) since accepting? Kinda slow to communicate it would seem.

RoundPony wrote: »
    Yea honestly PBL is the same online. It was well done. UL said they are trying to get 1st and 2nd years in person in PBL for the first few weeks at least but even if they don't it won't be an issue for people in my first hand experience.

My friend is in UL, going into second year, it took her ages to adjust to PBL in person, it definitely isn’t the most ideal scenario and will pose issues.... the same as it will for lectures in the other colleges!

bella11 wrote: »
    My friend is in UL, going into second year, it took her ages to adjust to PBL in person, it definitely isn’t the most ideal scenario and will pose issues.... the same as it will for lectures in the other colleges!

As a non science, I found keeping up with PBL hard work until like halfway through 2nd year. So I get where your friend was coming from - just in my opinion I didn't find it any more difficult or hard to adjust moving from in person to online.

PM what building you got offered and I'll give you the full info. There is a lot of variance in the quality.

On campus is very handy in a normal year but won't be as beneficial with online learning. It is great to be on campus when you have a lot of in person teaching to minimize the wasted time - the amenities, free gym membership, running trails, etc are much closer than if you are off campus so it is much easier to study and still be active. Plus there was some peer led teaching and society meetings that happened in the evening so it was nice to be 2 minutes away. But given you will have less in person time this year, the benefit wouldn't outweigh the cost for me. Plus the gym is still a field hospital until November so will be closed anyway.

A lot of second years have decided to skip on campus and go off this year. You will definitely get off campus housing a good bit cheaper.

Thanks, I've pm'd you there

If anyone is going to UL there are a few handy FB pages you might want to join:

University of Limerick Medicine Class of 2024

GEMS Housing Hunt

ul med students selling stuff

I emailed CAO and they said the next round for offers for Graduate medicine is September 11th..... even though most courses start the end of August... its strange how its left so late, if all offers aren't accepted on Thursday, surely they aren't left in limbo for a month? Did anyone else hear anything from the colleges?

• Advertisement

If anyone is going to UL there are a few handy FB pages you might want to join:

University of Limerick Medicine Class of 2024

GEMS Housing Hunt

ul med students selling stuff

What year are you in RoundPony?

Advertisement