Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Happy4all wrote: »
    Why didn't they play the last frame of the session?

Just ran over the time a bit. If it was last session they might have played it. McGill probably a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,990 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"I'm so sorry" is a common phrase from the BBC presenter as they finish coverage again at a crucial point in a frame. Their coverage is dreadful.

Ken absolutely spot on about Robertson there. Too many negative safety shots. Been my bugbear about him for years and one of the main things holding him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I see Clarke tweeted (Colin Murray said it) after todays session 'it worked today. But not tomorrow'. What's the need for this tweeting nonsense mid match? It's a little off putting and i hope McGill beats him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

sligeach wrote: »
    "I'm so sorry" is a common phrase from the BBC presenter as they finish coverage again at a crucial point in a frame. Their coverage is dreadful.

It really is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Feel sorry for Gould, really not at it tonight.

I see Clarke tweeted (Colin Murray said it) after todays session 'it worked today. But not tomorrow'. What's the need for this tweeting nonsense mid match? It's a little off putting and i hope McGill beats him tomorrow.

Needs a coach/manager/mentor to sit him down and talk some sense into him. Thats not the way to go about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Doherty needs to learn an adjective other than 'wonderful'

Good match hawk-robbo. 8-8 fair result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Hard to know what to make of the spat. Not sure i ever heard a player complain about his opponent being in his eye line. But McGill was very angry and at one stage it looke like he rushed out of the arena in pursuit of Clarke. The question is whether Clarke is knowingly doing this or just being clumsy in the tight confines?

Didn’t the normally mild-mannered Joe Perry blow up at him for the same stuff in the qualifiers?

Once could be clumsy, but he seems to be making a habit of it.

Now playing the victim on Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ken absolutely spot on about Robertson there. Too many negative safety shots. Been my bugbear about him for years and one of the main things holding him back.

I could be wrong but I think selby and Robertson both play too many negative shots to win this world championship . There’s a fine line but when a frame is there to be won you gotta try do that . Ya won’t get 3 chances to win frames v the top players .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just caught up with the Ding vs O'Sullivan second session, brilliant stuff, must be a record for second round games going into the final session at 8-8.

spurshero wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think selby and Robertson both play too many negative shots to win this world championship . There’s a fine line but when a frame is there to be won you gotta try do that . Ya won’t get 3 chances to win frames v the top players .

Would agree on both counts. Players can be mindful of leaving even half chance pots on which is fair enough, but too often containing safety just hands the initiative to your opponent. Plus, Robbo is currently running at 27 seconds average shot time which shows how much he's over thinking things. I recall not long ago him saying he was consciously trying to get down below 20 seconds but he can't manage that. I think his weakness lies in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Would it be unusual for Ronnie to be commentating just minutes before a match?:confused:

Same commentator said he was on the Ronnie/Ding game so I'm guessing it wasn't Ronnie.:P Anyone know who I was mixing up: estuary accent, softly spoken, slight lisp?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Bring back John Virgo!

Just caught up with the Ding vs O'Sullivan second session, brilliant stuff, must be a record for second round games going into the final session at 8-8.

Quite probable I'd say, cant think off hand of a more competitive round of 16, just the single one sided match. Think we'll have at least one decider today and mcgill-clarke doubtful finish this side of midnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭fran38

Same commentator said he was on the Ronnie/Ding game so I'm guessing it wasn't Ronnie.:P Anyone know who I was mixing up: estuary accent, softly spoken, slight lisp?

Joe Perry?

fran38 wrote: »
    Joe Perry?

Must be, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

C'mon Martin Gould

Joe Perry?

Joe Perry is commenting on BBC for the tournament. Ronnie has never done punditry for the BBC.

• Advertisement

Joe Perry is commenting on BBC for the tournament. Ronnie has never done punditry for the BBC.

Gentleman Joe would be very politically correct and is ideally suited to the BBC. He could do rte as well if they remembered that snooker existed.

amens wrote: »
    Gentleman Joe would be very politically correct and is ideally suited to the BBC. He could do rte as well if they remembered that snooker existed.

With Angus McNally who used to do the Irish Masters.

With Anus McNally who used to do the Irish Masters.

I had no BBC growing up so I only saw the Irish masters on rte and then snooker disappeared from rte and I only discovered it again a decade ago.

Looks like Wilson 11 - 9 Gould :)

I had no BBC growing up so I only saw the Irish masters on rte and then snooker disappeared from rte and I only discovered it again a decade ago.

No BBC? Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭fran38

Was there a concerted effort ny the WPBSA to train and hire cracking Eastern European womern as referees? Today we have Tatiana Wooleston (married to Ben) and Desislava Bozhilova on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Was there a concerted effort ny the WPBSA to train and hire cracking Eastern European womrn as referees? Today we have Tatiana Wooleston (married to Ben) and Desislava Bozhilova on duty.

Sadly there probably was, as women are underpaid for the same jobs as men, it's not for aesthetics, remember Barry Hearne is running the show, so the motive is financial

Looks like Wilson 11 - 9 Gould :)

Oh no :(

Was there a concerted effort ny the WPBSA to train and hire cracking Eastern European womern as referees? Today we have Tatiana Wooleston (married to Ben) and Desislava Bozhilova on duty.

Which of them has the wavy blonde hair? I'm a big fan of her...officiating.:D

• Advertisement

Super break by The Hawk who just about hangs onto Robertson's coat tail. Hawkins really has an impressive record at the Crucible but he may fall a little short here. I'd rather Robertson to progress as i find him a better player to watch, although both are a little on the slow side.

Advertisement