Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

accensi0n wrote: »
    That'll be good for 2 things, degreasing engines and kill'n brain cells.

You're confusing this whisky with the byproducts of poitín.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The "Angels Share" happens in any non airtight container, bottles included.

Trust me, I know.

Buy much whiskey in non-airtight bottles, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Obviously a lot more than you do.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tempted to pick up a bottle of Waterford. Had hoped to get a Ratheadon bottling as its not far from me but seems to impossible to get at normal retail price. My local O' Briens as Bannow Island 1.2, Ballykilcavan 1.1 and Sheerestown 1.1 available and I can get a few more options from The Wine Centre in kilkenny.
    So, before I do are there any other recommendations for whiskeys in that price range? €70 or so? I have a bottle of RB12, Green Spot and Laphraoig 10 year old. Like all 3 but I'm reasonably adventurous so open to all suggestions. I love Teeling so would a Brabazon series be a better bet?

Teelings would be the safer option.
    In O'Briens, see if they have the Knappogue Castle 14yo for €65 if you are feeling adventurous.
    Powers Signature Release has been discontinued if you do see a bottle for about €60 it's a lovely drop.

Re: Waterford, I much preferred the Ratheadon to the Bannow Island, but haven't had any of the .2 releaes or the Sheerestown.
    Think general consensus from people on the Ballykilcavan is that it was the lesser of the three initial releases.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Picked up Bannow Island and Ballykilcavan 1.2 today, they were a gift so happy days. Looking forward to trying them out. I love the whole transparency of the Waterford project, plus it's my hometown although living in Dublin the last 10 years.

I have a brother whose garden borders a barley field that's grown for Waterford distillery out on the coast at Annestown. That's a bottle I will be looking out for for obvious reasons!

50203992396_bcd09e1702_c.jpg

50203457353_3f6a08ecbb_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Teelings would be the safer option.
    In O'Briens, see if they have the Knappogue Castle 14yo for €65 if you are feeling adventurous.
    Powers Signature Release has been discontinued if you do see a bottle for about €60 it's a lovely drop.

Re: Waterford, I much preferred the Ratheadon to the Bannow Island, but haven't had any of the .2 releaes or the Sheerestown.
    Think general consensus from people on the Ballykilcavan is that it was the lesser of the three initial releases.

Might give the Knappogue a go, haven't tried any of their stuff. Is the signature release Johns Lane? Or something else? Liked 3 swallows (when on offer, at normal price too expensive) and am generally a fan of Powers so would like to try something new in that range.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Old bottles, even sealed ones, by their nature can lose their airtightness so it's not uncommon to have noticeable evaporation from an old bottle that had never been opened.

Wailin wrote: »
    Picked up Bannow Island and Ballykilcavan 1.2 today, they were a gift so happy days. Looking forward to trying them out. I love the whole transparency of the Waterford project, plus it's my hometown although living in Dublin the last 10 years.

I have a brother whose garden borders a barley field that's grown for Waterford distillery out on the coast at Annestown. That's a bottle I will be looking out for for obvious reasons!

50203992396_bcd09e1702_c.jpg

50203457353_3f6a08ecbb_c.jpg
    Annestown is a delightful spot. Would pick up a bottle of that purely on such a superficial basis!

Might give the Knappogue a go, haven't tried any of their stuff. Is the signature release Johns Lane? Or something else? Liked 3 swallows (when on offer, at normal price too expensive) and am generally a fan of Powers so would like to try something new in that range.
    John's Lane (not the same as Signature Release) is Three Swallows on steroids! Most definitely my favourite of the Midleton pot stills.

That said, Three Swallows is frequently on offer in Tesco/SuperValu for around the €30 mark and is an excellent buy at that price IMO. Always have a bottle of it on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Quackster wrote: »
    Old bottles, even sealed ones, by their nature can lose their airtightness so it's not uncommon to have noticeable evaporation from an old bottle that had never been opened.

If it's sealed, by definition there's no evaporation.

• Advertisement

Powers are going through a re-branding \ bottling into 'stubbier' type bottles to be more eye catching in back bars for the on trade.
    Unfortunately the Signature Release didn't make the cut but it's lovely stuff - I think the brand is down now to Gold Label, Three Swallow and Johns Lane.

If you're looking for a new Powers you can stick with, it would be the Johns Lane which is 12 year old.

ps I should have mentioned that the Knappogue 14, and the Powers Signature & Johns Lane are 46% ABV.
    I think the Teelings are also 46% rather than the usual 40% so you might appreciate that aspect of it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Had a glenfiddich experimental last night. Unusual

If it's sealed, by definition there's no evaporation.
    By 'sealed' I mean a bottle that was never opened. Seals can perish over a long period of time and leak air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Quackster wrote: »
    By 'sealed' I mean a bottle that was never opened. Seals can perish over a long period of time and leak air.

I doubt the seal was in tact on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Spotted 2 bottles of powers signature release in the local centra after reading the last few posts I went and got both. €56 each which wasn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Had a glass of Connemara peated last weekend & really liked it. Picked up a bottle today in SuperValu (€42). Not bad at all - especially compared to some of the (more expensive) Scottish peated whiskies.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Had a glass of Connemara peated last weekend & really liked it. Picked up a bottle today in SuperValu (€42). Not bad at all - especially compared to some of the (more expensive) Scottish peated whiskies.

If it is going down well I think its on offer at Tesco for 35e this month.

Teachers blended scotch is 20e in Supervalu this week ... think its the most heavily peated of the blended scotches using Ardmore malt as basis.
    Bit rough neat but makes a lovely after dinner digestif with a splash of 7up or ginger ale over ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've realised I can't pass a distillery without dropping in for a purchase.

Passing by Middleton the other day, picked myself up the Cherrywood Method and Madness (I'm a big fan of Method and Madness). Lovely drop, very woody (as opposed to oakey?) not as sweet as the Bourbon casks (as would be expected, I suppose), lovely bang of spice to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Waterford have a another release coming very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Diamond Dogs

Cazale wrote: »
    Waterford have a another release coming very soon.

Scalpers, start your engines...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Cask strength, single cask tasting with Sam McDonald and whiskies from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.

Friday 28th August 7:30 p.m. via Zoom

We have six stunning Scottish whiskies for you to try all at cask strength. Sam McDonald former bar manager for the SMWS will guide us through these gems. We’re not going to tell you exactly what whiskies we're having but it includes a 29 year old whisky from a closed distillery in Scotland.

Tickets available at 7 p.m. here https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=smwsevent

This is a cut and paste fom their email.

Some Waterford samples of upcoming American releases this September.

Celtic Whiskey shop have started doing zoom tastings. Sold out already though. Raging I missed this one!

We're excited to bring you our first TASTING from Celtic Whiskey — bespoke, virtual tastings which will be available over zoom/packaged at the Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder.

How it works? Buy the pack > pack gets delivered > join us for a zoom tasting!

First tasting — Connemara Single Casks

What's in the pack? 4 x 30ml samples of Connemara 14 Year Old Cask 4705, Connemara 155, Connemara 1992 Cask 3767 Celtic Whiskey Shop Exclusive & Connemara 8 Year Old Whiskey for Limburg. Price includes delivery 

Celtic Whiskey shop have started doing zoom tastings. Sold out already though. Raging I missed this one! 

There were only 15 packs available, no wonder it sold out quickly.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Connemara-Single-Cask-Tasting?search=tasting

Did a spring clean yesterday and did a stock take of the whiskey collection:

130 samples (50ml)
    22 samples (30ml)
    16 full bottles opened
    13 full bottles unopened

The missus says I've to drink a good bit of what I have before I buy anymore. No problem!

odyssey06 wrote:
    There were only 15 packs available, no wonder it sold out quickly.

I have them on notification alert on Twitter so I don't miss it. I'll post up the next one up after I buy mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Northern Ireland some prices at the moment....

Tesco UK:
    Laphroaig Single Malt Whisky 10Yr 70cl £28/€31
    The Famous Grouse Scotch Whisky 70Cl £13/€14.44 or 1L is £17/€18.89
    Cardhu 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky 70Cl £35/€38.89

Asda:
    Bowmore Single Malt Scotch Whisky 12 Years Old £27/€30
    Jura Journey Single Malt Scotch Whisky £22/€24.44

Sainsbury:
    Chivas Regal 12 Year Old Blended Scotch Whisky 70cl £21/€23.33

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Did a spring clean yesterday and did a stock take of the whiskey collection:

130 samples (50ml)
    22 samples (30ml)
    16 full bottles opened
    13 full bottles unopened

The missus says I've to drink a good bit of what I have before I buy anymore. No problem!

If ya need a hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Let us know what ya reckon.

Still fawning over the Ratheadon. So them releasing the 1.2 now would be nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Are they your's or just a pic you found?
    I'm interested in collecting and tasting them, but it's turned out to be a very expensive venture so far...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement