Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Problem with me buying actual Dreamcast games is the cases explode into a billion pieces the moment I look at them :(

PAL cases are garbage. I usually only get US and Japanese games. Also for European games it's a crap shoot if they support 60Hz, many don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Problem with me buying actual Dreamcast games is the cases explode into a billion pieces the moment I look at them :(
    Why did PAL Sega Dreamcast and Playstation 1 game cases have to be different to their NTSC counterparts? Was it just marketing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Why did PAL Sega Dreamcast and Playstation 1 game cases have to be different to their NTSC counterparts? Was it just marketing?

Probably what they were able to get cheaply in that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Any number of reasons. The PAL region often required a manual covering numerous languages, needing more space than a standard jewel case could allow. Simply differentiating games from music was important at the time. It's a pity they used cheesemium to make the cases, they had a certain charm as they were unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I went to burn off a few Dreamcast games there today and realised I don't actually have any devices left with a CD writer! When the feck did that happen??
    I just got a PC that I can play games on and forgot about that too, I'm gonna keep my old laptop just for that
    Same here, I put all my game boxes away and just have them in sleeves, same with PS1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hmm scan of the shelf reveals I own more Dreamcast consoles than actual games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Been playing Paper Mario Origami King at the moment. Good game but I've been pulled away from it to play Zelda A Link to the Past. Borrowed from a friend at the time but haven't never finished it.

Never been that much into Zelda until I bought the Link's Awakening remake last year. Loved it and finished it.

LTTP is very similar, hoping to finish it this time around. Shocking to think some of those early 16 bit games are approaching 30 years old, great gameplay is timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Also worth checking out The Minish Cap on GBA if you like 2D Zeldas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Also worth checking out The Minish Cap on GBA if you like 2D Zeldas.

Must stick it in the Retron5 one of these days, as soon as I have all the other games in the pile finished!

The pile of shame is the fire in which we burn.

Minish Cap is definitely worth it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

The pile of shame is the fire in which we burn.

Tolian-Soran-600x338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

There is no problem getting complete gdi dumps now.

This. Dreamcast emulation is also in a GREAT place these days too. The games look incredible with a small resolution upscale too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Reminds me, I have to rotate my AWSD monitor and bezel...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just me or is that bezel thicker than it needs to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bought a GTX 1060 off a friend the other week, I see Streets of Rage 4 is on Xbox Game Pass on PC so I must give that a try. Reviews didn't seem impressed that it was more of the same, as if that's a bad thing.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Bought a GTX 1060 off a friend the other week, I see Streets of Rage 4 is on Xbox Game Pass on PC so I must give that a try. Reviews didn't seem impressed that it was more of the same, as if that's a bad thing.

Thought it was pretty highly regarded?

Think it's great myself. Only let down is the soundtrack just isn't as legendary as the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Soundtrack isn't too great on it alright, I generally just play with the 'retro' soundtrack on, it's far better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PAL cases are garbage. I usually only get US and Japanese games. Also for European games it's a crap shoot if they support 60Hz, many don't.

Worst thing about the PAL cases is the inconsistency of them. Just looking at one row of them on my shelf right now..

Ee-HRg-Gq-Xs-AI7-PPU.jpg

All different shades of blue, some with fancy title logos, some just plain white text, some with a different font altogether (Power Stone 2 WTF?). Even direct sequels ballsed it up (Crazy Taxi 1 & 2). Sonic Adventure has a nice logo but Sonic Adventure 2 (which I don't have) is just plain white text. Only Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 got it right! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Don't be worrying about the colours, getting those games sorted alphabetically should be your biggest concern! :pac::pac:

I’ve just set up Swiss on my GameCube for the first time. After I finish Chrono Trigger, I’m planning on playing Skies of Arcadia, but it’s 480i only so here I am late to the party!

I used my soft modded Wii to copy the files over so all pretty painless.

Was please to see other boot options in there that will improve things. Inverting C stick, disabling dithering etc will be useful.

Dithering in particular looks awful via an OSSC as I had to change the sample rate to make games look right in 4:3 mode so it just looked strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

How fastidious are ye about replacing dead save batteries in carts? I've had a couple of carts come with dead batteries, which is understandable if the thing is 25 years old. I could learn to solder and replace the batteries real clean, like, and indeed soldering would be a handy skill to learn anyway. Or.... I could what I actually do and get a flathead screwdriver and some electrical tape and just bodge a new one in.

I checked mine recently and even some of my oldest carts are still reading around the 3V mark.

As soldering jobs go, it’s pretty easy. It’s even possible to keep your saves if you find the right points to temporarily attach another battery to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just me or is that bezel thicker than it needs to be?
    The monitor kinda looks like it is slightly smaller for that cab, so a custom bezel was made maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

briany wrote: »
    How fastidious are ye about replacing dead save batteries in carts? I've had a couple of carts come with dead batteries, which is understandable if the thing is 25 years old. I could learn to solder and replace the batteries real clean, like, and indeed soldering would be a handy skill to learn anyway. Or.... I could what I actually do and get a flathead screwdriver and some electrical tape and just bodge a new one in.

I've gone with a few different options on mine. Originally I popped them off with a very sharp knife and taped a new one back on. This actually works absolutely fine and I had some carts last years like this.

Decided to go with a neater option, so sourced some battery holders. You've to be really careful when buying them as most wont fit due to a very limited space size. In the end I used these half sized ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-CR2032-Vertical-Coin-Cell-Battery-Holder/283117054906?epid=8004962404&hash=item41eb176bba:g:OooAAOSw1MBdWGr~

Still have them in loads of my RPG Megadrive and Snes carts. I didn't install them mind you, just bought everything and annoyed one of the lads on here into doing it for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Thought I was onto a killer the other day, an abandoned arcade. After much running around its just a dead end, absolutely no way to see inside or remove anything because it's tied up in some massive legal dispute.

What's inside?? Tantalising stuff!

But there's a rumble in the distance of something else huge so it's a case of hanging tight. So bloody slow these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't do another run of those SNES minis. The price of new units has increased 3-fold which indicates there's still a certain amount of demand there and short supply to satisfy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Today I learned that this guy from Quake
    Death_Knight.PNG
    Is actually a local lad from Dublin .
    Well technically a Viking guy from "Dyfflin in the Celtic Isles",
    but hey close enough
    Basically the original Quake generic bad guy was brought back in a modern Quake game (Quake Champions) and you can unlock his backstory:
    http://churchofquake.com/lore/death-knight-lore/
    "West and west across the isle did the Death Knight lead his marauders. Against them stood, at first, painted warriors of great skill and berserk ferocity, who called upon foreign gods. Lugh. Ogma. Morrigu."
    basically he's a mad bastard Dub who went west to carve up Ireland (into gibs)

Advertisement