Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk today revealed its new weekday schedule, which will start on 31st August.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

kneemos wrote: »
    One thing is clear anyway, nobody likes Ciara Kelly as a presenter.
    Have to wonder why she's getting a prime slot.

Some of Newstalks changes look crazy on the face of it,but work out well. Not sure about this one.

I like Dr. Ciara Kelly as a presenter. I feel that the “format” of the show let her down.

Any show where the “average Joe/Josephine” calls in to give their worthless opinions on anything just isn’t worth listening to.

Can see her shining on a show where they have set interviewers and informed contributors. Do they still do that desperate “piece” before 9am where they take callers? Terrible idea.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I like Dr. Ciara Kelly as a presenter. I feel that the “format” of the show let her down.

Any show where the “average Joe/Josephine” calls in to give their worthless opinions on anything just isn’t worth listening to.

Can see her shining on a show where they have set interviewers and informed contributors. Do they still do that desperate “piece” before 9am where they take callers? Terrible idea.

No background in current affairs or journalism. Don't see what she brings to a news programme,but we'll see anyway I suppose.

The trouble with Ciara Kelly is that she doesn’t listen, she talks over everyone . For a show that touts itself about being “all about the listener” and “we’re talking about what you’re talking about” she has been the wrong person , she constantly interrupts and she constantly talks about herself and her experience , rather than let the caller talk about theirs.

This will work even LESS on the Breakfast Show as it’s a different format. I like Ciara Doherty and Andrea Gilligan when they stand in for Ciara Kelly as they don’t make it all about them . You need a presenter who makes the show about the topics and items they talk about. Ciara Kelly makes the show about her , it’s ego driven ...........“I’m a Doctor”!!

Will be interesting to see how this pans out on the early shift and on The Breakfast Show ! :eek:

The trouble with Ciara Kelly is that she doesn’t listen, she talks over everyone . For a show that touts itself about being “all about the listener” and “we’re talking about what you’re talking about” she has been the wrong person , she constantly interrupts and she constantly talks about herself and her experience , rather than let the caller talk about theirs.

This will work even LESS on the Breakfast Show as it’s a different format. I like Ciara Doherty and Andrea Gilligan when they stand in for Ciara Kelly as they don’t make it all about them . You need a presenter who makes the show about the topics and items they talk about. Ciara Kelly makes the show about her , it’s ego driven ...........“I’m a Doctor”!!

Will be interesting to see how this pans out on the early shift and on The Breakfast Show ! :eek:

I take your point, I do, I do. I hear you, I hear you.

For me, hands down, Susan Keogh is the best broadcaster for taking over that, dreadful, “Lunchtime” show.

Although, I do like Andrea Gilligan as well.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not a fan of Lunchtime format and even less when someone else is standing in for Ciara Kelly. I really don't care for people's opinions. I think both Gilligan and Keogh are a bit bland.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I really don't care for people's opinions. I think both...Keogh are a bit bland.

Well, I, certainly, don’t care for this one!

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

All from good, strong Fine Gael families no doubt!

lsjmhar wrote: »
    All from good, strong Fine Gael families no doubt!

Gillian is from publican “stock” so you’d have to imagine they’d be FF.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What a crap lineup, will be permanently moving the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I take your point, I do, I do. I hear you, I hear you.

For me, hands down, Susan Keogh is the best broadcaster for taking over that, dreadful, “Lunchtime” show.

Although, I do like Andrea Gilligan as well.

Susan Keogh is a personality vacuum. Absolutely no craic out of her. Same as Frank Greaney when he steps in for Cooper on TLW or Gavin Reilly. I dont mind Gilligan cos she at least seems to have a laugh.

I think they're terrible changes. Yates used to annoy me a bit but it was still entertaining as he generally challenged the woke narrative and like antagonising people. There's none of that anymore. Cuddihy might be ok on The Hard Shoulder.
    Ciara Kelly wont have me gripped to breakfast anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Susan Keogh is a personality vacuum. Absolutely no craic out of her. Same as Frank Greaney when he steps in for Cooper on TLW or Gavin Reilly. I dont mind Gilligan cos she at least seems to have a laugh.

I think they're terrible changes. Yates used to annoy me a bit but it was still entertaining as he generally challenged the woke narrative and like antagonising people. There's none of that anymore. Cuddihy might be ok on The Hard Shoulder.
    Ciara Kelly wont have me gripped to breakfast anyway.

Looks like they're trying to stretch what they've got.
    Revenue is probably down for them,makes it difficult to hire new talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Susan Keogh is a personality vacuum. Absolutely no craic out of her..

+1, shocking presenter. Always feels like she is crying out for people to text in so they can just read them out and fill air time.

Newstalk and today FM are full of these stand ins now, who have no opinion or not allowed to have one. They just read the entertainment gossip for the day and ask people to discuss it for a euro a text...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Cuddihy might be ok on The Hard Shoulder.

Well we have had The Right Hook and The Hard Shoulder so I guess the next in the sequence would be The Hard Left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

MFPM wrote: »
    Yep, as I stated, she made a principled stand on a very important issue and Newstalk relieved her of her duties.

I don't think she was 'playing' any 'game' and I dare say she felt her stance did need to be 'played' and fair play to her for doing so.

We'll have to agree to disagree so. It happened a long time ago so not much to be gained from talking about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

liam7831 wrote: »
    What a crap lineup, will be permanently moving the dial.

You'll be back here giving out about every show in time, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

CatFromHue wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to disagree so. It happened a long time ago so not much to be gained from talking about it anymore.

It is shocking that no other potential employer seems to have rewarded Dil's "heroism" and inestimable talent with a highly paid prime-time job. You would think they would be offering her blank cheques.

Sadly, it was not to be. Even in this day and age refusing to do your job and publically stabbing a senior colleague in the back are not widely sought competencies in the wish list of most would-be employers.

quintana76 wrote: »
    Sadly, it was not to be. Even in this day and age refusing to do your job and publically stabbing a senior colleague in the back are not widely sought competencies in the wish list of most would-be employers.

Didn’t go too badly for Chris Donoghue.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

How do you come up with that?

Happy4all wrote: »
    How do you come up with that?

He tore into Hook at every available opportunity, then had no trouble landing a plum job as a “special advisor” to the government.

The tide is turning…

He didn't refuse to do his job. He was actually the first to stab Hook in the back. His naked ambition must have appealed to Coveney and his ilk (he was in their inner circle already). Donohoe was seemingly prepared to play the game without scruple or any sense of morality. This is why he was rewarded for failure at the taxpayer's expense. If you really believe he was actually horrified by Hooks words you are as naive as Dil. Opportunity knocks more like.

I wonder is he any better at PR than he was as a radio presenter. That shouldn't be a high bar to leap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Donoghue criticised Hook for what he said which is what he's entitled to do.

I've no problem with what he did.

Dil could have done that and done a show on why Hook was wrong, which would have been a good thing. She decided to do something else which benefitted no one.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Donoghue criticised Hook for what he said which is what he's entitled to do.

I've no problem with what he did.

Dil could have done that and done a show on why Hook was wrong, which would have been a good thing. She decided to do something else which benefitted no one.

It was a good career move by Donoghue. It paid off as he showed he followed the narrative to the letter.
    Dil was just stupid. She gave them enough rope by refusing to work thinking that her colleagues would back her up.
    She didn't realise they were all out for themselves and were only horrified by Hook in as much as it advanced their own interests.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

As someone who's not a massive radio listener but would have put it on when in the car etc. I'm disappointed at Newstalk lineup. I don't think I'll be putting it on much at all anymore.

Newstalk Breakfast was great with Ivan and Chris years ago. I loved the Hard Shoulder with Ivan.

Newstalk Breakfast is terrible with Shane Coleman and Cuddihy. I hate their format, seriously it's just like a set schedule each day, just changing the stories.

"After the break we'll be discussing if more lockdown restrictions should be imposed to control the coronavirus or if we should just learn to get on and live with the new normal. Let us know what you think on 53106 at a cost of 30c."

Then Cuddihy will agree and then Coleman will disagree and then Cuddihy will end with some banter insult to Coleman. Cuddihy's voice is grating. Andrea Gilligans accent is very harsh for radio too.

Ciara Kelly is unlistenable.

I actually thought Cagney might have got the Hard Shoulder gig as he was in a lot a couple months before Ivan left. Not that I'll be listening to Cuddihy but Cagney would be as bad. He's basically trying to copy Ivan these days, with comments like yesterday to a texter "Are you calling me a stupid person!?!?.....well ok, you're entitled to your opinion."

It's a shame he's like that because he has a good voice for radio.

Andrea Gilligans accent is very harsh for radio too.

Ciara Kelly is unlistenable.

100%
    I don't think this gets mentioned enough. When you tune into listen to a show, you don't want someone grating on your ears.

Whenever I'm on the road early, I always enjoy Rte 1 presenters, who speak softly to ease you into the day. Newstalk is what I imagine they played to Guantanamo prisoners to break them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The show that Kieran Cuddihy is hosting now is still called The Hard Shoulder.

They probably should think about re-naming it - Yeats wasn't afraid to take on the the Status Quo and hit them with a hard shoulder (often late and with a bit of an elbow thrown in) but I cant see this fella doing likewise.

Also he seems to have taken lessons from Sean Moncrieff about how to read out texts disagreeing with him in a smug, sneering voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

with my radio alarm set to Newstalk I was woken up by the tones of Ciara Kelly yesterday, needless to say I changed the dial to ensure that wouldn't happen this morning. Another positive thing for Morning Ireland is the lower number of commercial breaks they take, Newstalk are gone nuts for breaks. I'm aware of the private station versus the licence fee for RTE etc.

with my radio alarm set to Newstalk I was woken up by the tones of Ciara Kelly

I find her very difficult to listen to. Her over pronunciation of every syllable is very harsh. It's like she doesn't speak naturally, and the conversation doesn't flow as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A "woke" (ha!) Breakfast show, a bland lunchtime show and an equally beige Hard Shoulder.

with my radio alarm set to Newstalk I was woken up by the tones of Ciara Kelly yesterday, needless to say I changed the dial to ensure that wouldn't happen this morning. Another positive thing for Morning Ireland is the lower number of commercial breaks they take, Newstalk are gone nuts for breaks. I'm aware of the private station versus the licence fee for RTE etc.

I said I'd giver Ciara Kelly a chance on the Monday morning commute and lasted about 20 seconds before moving to Morning Ireland. I'm not sure there's ever a good time to listen to her, but 8am certainly isn't one of them. Morning Ireland takes itself very seriously but at least I won't be throwing my shoes at the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I said I'd giver Ciara Kelly a chance on the Monday morning commute and lasted about 20 seconds before moving to Morning Ireland. I'm not sure there's ever a good time to listen to her, but 8am certainly isn't one of them. Morning Ireland takes itself very seriously but at least I won't be throwing my shoes at the radio.

You will when foghorn Wilson gets there.

Advertisement