Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cable management / tidy behind TV Unit

• 06-08-2020 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

At the back of our TV unit in the apartment we have LOTS of cables coming from the sky box, running into the wall.

What store would I head into tomorrow to buy cable management box or similar? An electrical store?

Cable ducting is no good as there are too many, would a box or something just on the floor suffice? I have seen cable management trays in the office I worked in before. Would be good if I could clump them all tidily into one hole they feed through...

I’m no DIY expert and don’t have many tools, except for a screwdriver kit etc the basics.

We also have a pet who hasn’t chewed anything yet in the apartment but are afraid that he may !

See image attached [\B]

JH42nJW

JH42nJW

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Forgot to attach properly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Also - not sure if this should be in Home Appliances ? (mods)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Also - not sure if this should be in Home Appliances ? (mods)

Hi,
    If you have a Mr.Price or Deals near you; you could pick up some cheap pliers or snips,
    Looks like everything is going in to a socket adapter?

If yes;
    Then you could mount the socket adapter to the wall area which is inside the shelf of the cabinet; this will raise it up off the ground and keep it inside the shelf allowing the cabinet to recess to the wall protecting the cables a bit.

I understand in a rented accommodation; you may not want to purchase anything too specific such as "short 0.5m figure 8 cable" to reduce the mass of cables, or a "small surface box with an F-type plate" which would allow the termination of the satellite feed then run a new short cable which is easily replaced if ever damaged.

You were right to post as it really needs to be sorted out for the sake of the animal as it's only a matter of time before something gets chewed in my opinion and I'm not trying to be negative.

Can you slide out the cabinet a bit and show us what's behind in terms of cables; what's coming from where?

Is there a back panel inside that cabinet door?

I can advise better then as well as could you give a figure as to how much you would be willing to invest to achieve better results
    As I'll link you to a few things;

My intention would be to shorten cables where possible to reduce bulk;
    Fit wall plates to permanent cables to reduce bulk
    Replace standard power leads with shorter variants and fit maxi trunking to the wall to house the cables unless your a home owner then I'd look at fishing inside partition walls.

Anyway; I look forward to your responses; I've done alot of jobs like this myself it's not that difficult when shown, I've refitted full sky and virgin media installs myself.

Advertisement