Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dripping shower

Options
  • 05-08-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭

Have an electric shower that hasnt been even used or turned on in over six months. But then somehow yesterday it started dripping through the showerhead so the water must have been going down the tube and up it to then drip down into the shower tray.

Any ideas of what I can try before calling a plumber. Most info online seems to refer to dripping from underneath the shower while its in use but this yolk hasnt been used at all yet somehow water is going into it and then dripping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have an electric shower that hasnt been even used or turned on in over six months. But then somehow yesterday it started dripping through the showerhead so the water must have been going down the tube and up it to then drip down into the shower tray.

Any ideas of what I can try before calling a plumber. Most info online seems to refer to dripping from underneath the shower while its in use but this yolk hasnt been used at all yet somehow water is going into it and then dripping.

Run it for a short time and when switching of do so fast...

Mine does this if not turned off quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If water is dripping from an electric shower then it's passing through the solenoid. The solenoid is supposed to be closed. You can try turning it on & off a few times or sometimes it will rectify itself with a few days use.

If solenoid needs replacing then the age of the shower needs to be considered. Supply & fit of a solenoid ranges from 100 euro to 150 euro depending on the make & model. Some are part of the flow control valve pushing the price up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks sleeper. Yeah Im pretty sure its the solenoid as it had been doing that cold/hot cycling thing when it was in use six months ago. Id actually bought the part on ebay but then during a large renovation it vanished into thin air and the job got put on the long finger. It just surprised me when it began dripping last week having literally not been used in 6 months, I had thought it could be some sort of a wider plumbing problem.

In any case Ive got the dripping stopped but theres a wider problem in that theres a leak that dripped into the ceiling below. Its not the seal around the shower tray but somewhere after the water goes into the drain. Not looking forward to tackling this job but will have to if I want to get the shower back into use. Is it considered a major job for a plumber to get the shower tray out to fix leaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks sleeper. Yeah Im pretty sure its the solenoid as it had been doing that cold/hot cycling thing when it was in use six months ago. Id actually bought the part on ebay but then during a large renovation it vanished into thin air and the job got put on the long finger. It just surprised me when it began dripping last week having literally not been used in 6 months, I had thought it could be some sort of a wider plumbing problem.

In any case Ive got the dripping stopped but theres a wider problem in that theres a leak that dripped into the ceiling below. Its not the seal around the shower tray but somewhere after the water goes into the drain. Not looking forward to tackling this job but will have to if I want to get the shower back into use. Is it considered a major job for a plumber to get the shower tray out to fix leaks?

The solenoid opens & closes. it doesn't make your shower go hot & cold or change the temperature in any way. This information is for anyone else that might read this. You have more important matters to be dealing with unfortunately

Advertisement