Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Italy malta

Options
  • 01-08-2020 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Off for the week
    Was looking at Ireland
    But it's nearly cheaper to go out foreign
    Anybody been to Italy or Malta lately?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Mod note - If this turns into a discussion on the merits of flying at the moment the thread will be locked.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Off for the week
    Was looking at Ireland
    But it's nearly cheaper to go out foreign
    Anybody been to Italy or Malta lately?

I'm in Italy at the minute. It is so safe out here. Masks are mandatory and it's strictly enforced in shops etc. Everyone is social distancing. Sunbeds, restaurant tables, door handles are all being sanitised every few minutes.
    Definitely made the right decision to come out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

FYI Malta is probably going to be removed from next green list update:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/green-list-talk-5166659-Aug2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

Was in Italy last week. No issues at all. Just need to wear masks indoors and on public transport. Also, in restaurants they take your name and number when you sit down. Otherwise, very easygoing - no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm in Sardinia. Came out last week and am surprised at how everyone is following the rules on masks, especially as it's been 38.degrees where I am. Absolutely no exceptions, and Italians are not exactly known for following rules (e.g. queuing, etc.). I'm impressed, but it shows how bad a lot of people are back in Ireland. I'm glad that today they said wearing will be mandatory from Monday, though they could have said from.right now.

Italy today had 190 new cases, 2 of which were in Sardinia. Population 60.5 million. As of this morning's 14-day cases per 100,000, Italy is running at 6.0 as opposed to Ireland's 9.0. And Ireland's not even fully open for business yet, Italy is and has been for 2 months. Ireland needs to be careful and I agree with keeping the pubs closed.

So yes, get on a plane and visit Italy. The plane to Cagliari last week was about 90% full, all wearing facemasks. No issues at passport control but do make sure to make the self-declaration online if coming to Sardinia. It has special requirements different to the rest of Italy. Search "Sardegna Sicura" and fill in the form at least 48 hours before arrival.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    FYI Malta is probably going to be removed from next green list update:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/green-list-talk-5166659-Aug2020/

Malta and San Marino gone off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm in Sardinia. Came out last week and am surprised at how everyone is following the rules on masks, especially as it's been 38.degrees where I am. Absolutely no exceptions, and Italians are not exactly known for following rules (e.g. queuing, etc.). I'm impressed, but it shows how bad a lot of people are back in Ireland. I'm glad that today they said wearing will be mandatory from Monday, though they could have said from.right now. Italy today had 190 new cases, 2 of which were in Sardinia. Population 60.5 million. As of this morning's 14-day cases per 100,000, Italy is running at 6.0 as opposed to Ireland's 9.0. And Ireland's not even fully open for business yet, Italy is and has been for 2 months. Ireland needs to be careful and I agree with keeping the pubs closed. So yes, get on a plane and visit Italy. The plane to Cagliari last week was about 90% full, all wearing facemasks. No issues at passport control but do make sure to make the self-declaration online if coming to Sardinia. It has special requirements different to the rest of Italy. Search "Sardegna Sicura" and fill in the form at least 48 hours before arrival.

Sardinia is amazing, dozens of beaches all over the Island and it's never packed.... Great choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Malta and San Marino gone off it.

Oh no, not San Marino!! :D

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Sardinia is amazing, dozens of beaches all over the Island and it's never packed.... Great choice!

The other half is from here so I've been coming for over 20 years now. Yet to get to all of those beaches...

I see Aer Lingus are restarting the Dublin-Alghero flights from August 23rd. They didn't get off the ground (pun) this year and cancelled on us twice. Nice option for anyone looking for an easy getaway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I see Aer Lingus are restarting the Dublin-Alghero flights from August 23rd. They didn't get off the ground (pun) this year and cancelled on us twice. Nice option for anyone looking for an easy getaway.

yep and cheap enough too, heading soon, cant wait to get away from this misery for a few days.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    yep and cheap enough too, heading soon, cant wait to get away from this misery for a few days.

Big Covid numbers are happening there now (almost all imported) so expect to be tested on arrival (they are now talking about testing all passengers, not just those from Spain, Malta, Greece and Croatia). Also make sure you've registered at Sardegna Sicura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Big Covid numbers are happening there now (almost all imported) so expect to be tested on arrival (they are now talking about testing all passengers, not just those from Spain, Malta, Greece and Croatia). Also make sure you've registered at Sardegna Sicura.

i checked the local paper translated to English, doesnt appear to be any in Alghero, but other regions seen a slight jump but miniscule compared to the rest of Italy.

translate to english
    https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/regione/2020/08/24/news/coronavirus-in-sardegna-91-nuovi-positivi-il-numero-piu-alto-dal-28-marzo-1.39226345

jonnny68 wrote: »
    i checked the local paper translated to English, doesnt appear to be any in Alghero, but other regions seen a slight jump but miniscule compared to the rest of Italy.

translate to english
    https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/regione/2020/08/24/news/coronavirus-in-sardegna-91-nuovi-positivi-il-numero-piu-alto-dal-28-marzo-1.39226345

91 cases yesterday compared to 0 a few weeks ago. Population only 1.6 million, so compared to the other regions it's very high (Lombardy 119 cases but population 14 million).

https://github.com/pcm-dpc/COVID-19/tree/master/schede-riepilogative/regioni

I think most of those in northern Sardinia are in the Costa Smeralda. Flavio Briatore is positive and a bit under the weather. A few footballers have tested positive a few but the majority are partygoing tourists, though all discotecs have been closed since last week. Hopefully things will die down as the holiday season winds down this week.

Enjoy

Advertisement