Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young driver's insurance

• 16-07-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

just wondering if posters had any experience with trying to get insurance for a young driver. Our son is 17 and has recently got his learner permit and beginning formal lessons. I bought a 2006 1.1 fiesta with a view to getting him on a policy for additional practice and build a driving history.
    I cannot get a quote in my name with him as a named driver because car is too old ?
    He cannot get a quote in his own name because he is too young , has no driving history.
    My insurance will not name him on my own car policy as my car is too powerful and auto.
    My wife cannot get him on her policy for similar reasons.
    Crazy situation. Has anybody experienced similar ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

Either of ye due for renewal soon? If so would ye consider Aviva? They have their own driving lessons scheme whilst the young driver is named on the policy for 6 months which can be extended if needs be. Seems to be the only way to get a young driver going in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

At 17 you really are up against it, and the car as you say is too old.
    Many threads on this subject here, just call around and you'll get something but it will not be cheap.

And before anyone mentions it, insuring the car in your name although your son is the main driver is a no no and insurance companies are wise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

only game in town is Aviva, but insuring an 06 is going to be tough - they refused our 06 Clio for me on my own, and I have full NCB etc.

Eventually got our 17yr old as a named driver on my wifes 12-reg car with Aviva until the lessons were done, then when she passed her test she got a quote for her own insurance from Liberty - but from Day 1 to that was 2 years....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

My 11D car is insured with Aviva. I contacted them via email and they said they will insure my 17 yo daughter with provisional licence as a named driver on it. Apparently they won't take new business for cars older than 2000.

(They said)
    Please note as per Aviva's acceptance criteria for a new business the car should not be registered before the year 2000 .

I haven't got a quote out of them yet as it's all via email as the phone system is down for some reason...

They also sent some blurb...
    You also have an option where you can enroll your daughter for the Accompanied driver cover with our Aviva driving school ,where you pay EUR 499 for a pack of 13 lessons and your daughter would get 6 months of free cover as an accompanied driver on the insurance policy with Aviva Direct.
    You can purchase these lessons online kindly visit www.aviva.ie .

Advertisement