Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2020

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

splinter65 wrote: »
    Well Sampras won 7 Wimbledons and only for a blip in 96 when T Gullikson died it would have been 8 so we won’t be scratching them....
    If you’re a Murray fan then good for you! I’m not running him down, but you can’t pretend that he was ever even remotely in the same league as the other 3.
    If he was he’d have won more GSs. The Big 4 was an invention of the BBC, nothing more then that.

No, Kraijceh was just a bad match for Pete....proved it several times as well.

That 1996 SW19 QF was Pete close to his peak...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

walshb wrote: »
    No, Kraijceh was just a bad match for Pete....proved it several times as well.

That 1996 SW19 QF was Pete close to his peak...

Krajicek was in unreal form that fortnight. He never played like it before, and he never played like it after. My only quibble was Todd Martin losing his SF against MaliVai Washington. He really should have won that considering he was 5-1 up in the final set.

A Martin vs Krajicek final would have been a better match. As expected Krajicek beat Washington quite easily in the final.

mzungu wrote: »

A Martin vs Krajicek final would have been a better match. As expected Krajicek beat Washington quite easily in the final.

that was the weakest men's slam final of all time surely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

glasso wrote: »
    that was the weakest men's slam final of all time surely.

I'm trying hard to think of any others. I'm sure there were a few that have escaped me, but that particular final still stands out as being a complete snooze fest.

I should add that a a few of the finals in the Sampras era (94 & 97) were not exactly thrillers, but at least on those occasions it wasn't as much of a foregone conclusion beforehand.

As soon as Martin lost that SF the 96 mens singles was over. No disrespect meant towards Washington either, he simply wasn't the man to give Krajicek a run for his money that year.

Advertisement