Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think Dublin airport might exceed 33 million passengers this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Route to stop in November and will reopen as normal in March.

https://fora.ie/cathay-pacific-suspending-dublin-hong-kong-4805679-Sep2019/

Intended to repoprn in March. Cathay has seen worldwide passenger volumes decease by nearly 40% over the past three months. There are greater systemic challenges at play that the Dublin routes and the daytime European routes which it has suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is it people avoiding HK due to the protests ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

People need to understand yield versus load factor. There is absolutely no point quoting that a flight was full. Filling a flight with backpackers on discounted fares is not going to make any money. Cathay is full service and has the costs associated with that. It needs high rev up front, belly cargo and yield down the back to turn a profit. It needs to do this across its entire network. Cathay as an airline is suffering financially as part of the wider Swire Group and has been struggling for at least the last 5 years. The current HK unrest is just adding fuel to the fire. I would expect it needs to restructure in order to survive and cut capacity.

Yes I understand yield vs load factor. A lot of business people use that route and business class always full. I dont think it tends to be a backpacker type route from people I know that travel it frequently

• Advertisement

I imagine that things will get a lot better once the longer runway is available. Airlines will be able to carry more freight as it doesn't give out on social media when its delayed or offloaded. Cathay and others have had to leave cargo behind on occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yes I understand yield vs load factor. A lot of business people use that route and business class always full. I dont think it tends to be a backpacker type route from people I know that travel it frequently

I think it's always much cheaper to fly non direct to KL as a backpacker. Once there you're at an AirAsia hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Read elsewhere Cathay's forward bookings are down 40% across the network vs this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone know what’s up with TC-JRU? Operated IST-DUB this evening and landed 20 minutes late, was due to be a 1630 departure but now seems to be cancelled? A 20 min delay would hardly cos the crew to go out of hours would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Surprised to hear an ad on Radio One's Morning Ireland this morning for Cathay Pacific and offering flights to the east if it's been suspended for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Anyone know what’s up with TC-JRU? Operated IST-DUB this evening and landed 20 minutes late, was due to be a 1630 departure but now seems to be cancelled? A 20 min delay would hardly cos the crew to go out of hours would it?

My guess is it's gone tech? That flight regularly lands 20+ minutes late (usually on time to 15 mins late though) but it still operates the outbound. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an A330 replacement on tomorrow's morning flight, that sometimes happens when one of the flights is cancelled. At the moment it looks like the morning flight will have a 737-800 and an A321neo on the afternoon one but last minute swaps can happen I suppose, just like both of my return flights a month ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

ongarboy wrote: »
    Surprised to hear an ad on Radio One's Morning Ireland this morning for Cathay Pacific and offering flights to the east if it's been suspended for the winter.

Heard it on Today Fm earlier. They're LFs are apparently down across the board with the recent protests so they're probably trying to get any kind of business they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

ongarboy wrote: »

I also heard that ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mortelaro wrote: »
    By coincidence I booked cx306 yesterday with Avios in J for just next month
    That should be the crack :D

Had the pleasure some years back of going on honeymoon on CX in J to HKG and on to SYD

Only thing that would have made it perfect was going direct from DUB avoiding the hop over to LHR in cattle class.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

My flight is boarded and ready to go, but we’ve just been given a 1h15 slot delay. The sooner the second runway is ready the better.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭davebuck

Noxegon wrote: »
    My flight is boarded and ready to go, but we’ve just been given a 1h15 slot delay. The sooner the second runway is ready the better.

Unfortunately it looks like late 2021 or early 2022 before the new runway is in use so another 2 peak summers of delays etc. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Is the slot from Dublin or enroute ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

It will be an enroute slot. Nonsense that Cathay will be delayed 1.15 in Dublin due to runway capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

basill wrote: »
    It will be an enroute slot. Nonsense that Cathay will be delayed 1.15 in Dublin due to runway capacity.

Hmm, not sure where you got Cathay from.

Was FR to Krakow. The time came forward quite radically fortunately - though we still arrived an hour late :/

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Hmm, not sure where you got Cathay from.

Was FR to Krakow. The time came forward quite radically fortunately - though we still arrived an hour late :/

An en-route slot so. Airspace is saturated over central Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭n32

flew united airlines to newark last week on dreamliner. have to say it is a top class product on offer from united. great food and IFE and the flight gets into newark at 11am which is perfect to making the most of the day when you land.
    i have to say the dreamliner (787-100) is a beautiful aircraft to fly on compared to some other transatlantic planes that are showing their age a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-irish-summer-20-schedule-160-routes-on-sale-now/?fbclid=IwAR1qAYanfkYyoQFfArkup9mQS7ProT8mOvzzUIyIyvesyClQP2bbBj_3sRA

4 New Dublin Routes To Marseille, Palanga, Podgorica & Verona
    Ryanair, Ireland’s No.1 airline, today (25 Sept) launched its Irish Summer 2020 schedule, with 160 routes in total, including 4 new Dublin routes Marseille, Palanga, Podgorica and Verona, and 3 new summer services from Cork to Katowice and from Dublin to Billund and Toulouse, which will deliver 17.2m customers p.a. and support 12,900* jobs at Dublin, Shannon, Cork, Knock and Kerry airports.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-irish-summer-20-schedule-160-routes-on-sale-now/?fbclid=IwAR1qAYanfkYyoQFfArkup9mQS7ProT8mOvzzUIyIyvesyClQP2bbBj_3sRA

Ryanair, Ireland’s No.1 airline, today (25 Sept) launched its Irish Summer 2020 schedule, with 160 routes in total, including 4 new Dublin routes Marseille, Palanga, Podgorica and Verona, and 3 new summer services from Cork to Katowice and from Dublin to Billund and Toulouse, which will deliver 17.2m customers p.a. and support 12,900* jobs at Dublin, Shannon, Cork, Knock and Kerry airports.

Great to see Marseille on the list, very under rated city in my opinion. Also gives you access to lovely spots like Avignon, Aix en provence, arles and others. I flew direct to marseille this year with aer lingus and the flights were pretty full

n32 wrote: »
    flew united airlines to newark last week on dreamliner. have to say it is a top class product on offer from united. great food and IFE and the flight gets into newark at 11am which is perfect to making the most of the day when you land.
    i have to say the dreamliner (787-100) is a beautiful aircraft to fly on compared to some other transatlantic planes that are showing their age a bit.

I agree, I flew that route recently and it was great. Both flights were overbooked though and they were trying to move passengers to another flight. Very popular route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

grimm2005 wrote: »

I think Stuttgart is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

rivegauche wrote: »
    I think Stuttgart is gone.

That was dropped in June and replaced with a new service to Milan Malpensa. Capacity on the Cologne route was also increased this winter.

Impressive route network Ryanair has from Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Verona, Marseille and Toulouse? Sooner or later Aer Lingus is going to find every one of their short haul routes facing competition from Ryanair. 

Nice to see Palanga, a lot of Lithuanian passengers heading home to the costal cities have been using Kaunas which is a good 2-3 hour drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Verona, Marseille and Toulouse? Sooner or later Aer Lingus is going to find every one of their short haul routes facing competition from Ryanair. 

Nice to see Palanga, a lot of Lithuanian passengers heading home to the costal cities have been using Kaunas which is a good 2-3 hour drive away.

Ryanair have pulled out or MRS and VRN before (MRS 3+ times) and Aer Lingus have continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭davebuck

Is the long awaited proposed interline agreement between Aer Lingus and Ryanair dead in the water now or just on hold? seems to be radio silence on this for a while now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I really hope JetBlue make a go of things in 2021 when they start flying to london. The largest budget airline in the world i believe ryanair. Dublin perfectly positioned for far more transatlantic business than it currently attracts. The infrastructure is certainly an issue at present. But there are other airports like helsinki, for passengers heading east, that have far more transfer traffic than dublin.

https://skift.com/2019/04/10/jetblue-is-flying-to-europe-breaking-down-the-competition/

Advertisement