Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Irish address but with UK postcode!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I know this thread's a few weeks old so in the small chance there's some of these posters reading :
    rameire wrote: »
    Bt1 1aa will and does work, received some books from play.com yesterday, with free uk postage.
    have used it before and works everytime.
    previous examples are hmv.co.uk
    amazon.co.uk
    figleaves.co.uk

its the postcode for the sorting office in belfast, they just process them through their office and pass tehm onto an post.
    just put in Eire into the address.

Does this actually work though? Are you saying that with Play , you can pay in sterling , input your Republic of Ireland address and a Northern Irish postcode and they send it to NI , the sorting office in NI see the ROI address and just send it on down to an ROI sorting office and then you get it posted to your door at no extra cost ?

rubadub wrote: »
    I love it!

The way posting is supposed to work is that they look at the last lines first and just toss it in whatever bag is appropriate. So they should just see the code and/or belfast and not bother reading the rest at that stage. This is why I have a pet-hate of UK companies listing Eire down, it will be an english person reading it in the post office, so it should be the english version of the country. I doubt these UK companies who write Eire use the Chinese spelling of China etc.

I've noticed a few UK sites that have Eire listed in their countries. I'd imagine the reason for it is that "Eire" is synonymous with the "Republic of Ireland".

I've met a lot of people in Britian that can't tell the difference between ROI and Northern Ireland. They all just call it "Ireland". "Here's my pal, he's Irish, he's from Ireland" with no distinction on which "part" of Ireland.

Anyway, they should probably just have ROI.

By the time it gets to belfast it is probably cheaper and easier to get it down south than across the sea again.

There is no such thing as free shipping, there are no free ships, planes, or volunteer postmen that I know of. The postage is included in the price, then for Irish orders they force you to pay in euros, so the additional postage and/or markup is hidden in the poor exchange rate. So if you get to pay sterling on play, by using the uk address, you can make big savings compared to the UK address. Also stuff like gadgets will not be shipped outside the UK.

This is it, I'd imagine by the time it gets to your door there'll be a charge on it!

Oh and this nonsense about "free delivery" is a pet hate of mine too :)
    JJ wrote: »
    It worked like a charm. I'd be happy to try it again if needed.

What site was it ? Did you put your ROI address in with NI postcode and it was then just forwarded to you? How could this work ? Is the postal service in NI not Royal Mail and the postal service in ROI An Post ? Two different companies. I'd imagine that Royal Mail would charge An Post (or some other courrier maybe) and then An Post would send you a letter or note saying there's a package in the sorting office with a charge on it for you.

No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I used it on Argos' UK site. It was for an item that wasn't in any of the Irish Argos shops and wasn't available on the Irish Argos site. BT1 1AA is for the main Royal Mail sorting office in Belfast. I would presume An Post stop by there on a daily basis (at the very least). All RM have to do is hand over all post that needs to head south and off it goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I used it on Argos' UK site. It was for an item that wasn't in any of the Irish Argos shops and wasn't available on the Irish Argos site. BT1 1AA is for the main Royal Mail sorting office in Belfast. I would presume An Post stop by there on a daily basis (at the very least). All RM have to do is hand over all post that needs to head south and off it goes.

Yeah but how long will the Royal Mail or An Post put up with this, they will be losing revenue

So you're telling me that someone from An Post reguarly visits a Royal Mail sorting office to collect post for ROI (rather than Royal Mail delivering it to An Post at a charge) and then An Post are just passing that on to you in the Republic scot-free ?

Wow. If this is true then that's a cosey little deal there. Looks like not being a part of the UK has as many benefits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I know this thread's a few weeks old so in the small chance there's some of these posters reading :

Does this actually work though? Are you saying that with Play , you can pay in sterling , input your Republic of Ireland address and a Northern Irish postcode and they send it to NI , the sorting office in NI see the ROI address and just send it on down to an ROI sorting office and then you get it posted to your door at no extra cost ?

yes

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

And it's not just for the border counties ?

Edit: I see you're in Athy, that'd be a no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

And it's not just for the border counties ?

Edit: I see you're in Athy, that'd be a no ?

correct,
    i have also got deliveries to dublin and cork, using bt1 1aa.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

So you're telling me that someone from An Post reguarly visits a Royal Mail sorting office to collect post for ROI (rather than Royal Mail delivering it to An Post at a charge) and then An Post are just passing that on to you in the Republic scot-free ?

Wow. If this is true then that's a cosey little deal there. Looks like not being a part of the UK has as many benefits :pac:

I'm only presuming that AP stop by this sorting office every day or maybe it's the case that at least one RM van from this sorting office goes south each day and delivers all mail intended for the Republic. I don't pretend to know the inner workings of RM and AP. What I do know is that this post code worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Squidgie wrote: »
    try recessionbustours.ie

people send stuff to their depot in Northern Ireland and they courier them around Ireland for €20 ;)

I live in the UK, I could make money this way!:D

If anyone wants to pay me to redirect something to Ireland, PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

How exactly do you write your address when you use this?
    Do you include the words Republic of Ireland or Ireland in it it or do you just let them figure that part out from the county you are in and write

1 Around the Corner Park,
    Galway,
    United Kingdom
    Bt1 11A

Usually United Kingdom is automatically added to the address.Will it still work if you do have to include UK in the address?
    Would someone mind writing a sample address to indicate what format they use?

• Advertisement

I can see someone from either An Post or NI Royal Mail seeing this thread and catching on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

I can see someone from either An Post or NI Royal Mail seeing this thread and catching on :pac:

Yes this thread and the 1000 percent increase in stuff being addressed to BT1 1AA will fcuk things up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I have a Sterling gift voucher from Play that I wasn't able to use. Thanks, I will give this a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Does this definitely work? I want to order a cdrom of ComputerActive back issues (can't find a torrent :D:p;))...they only deliver to the UK though. Will this BT1 1AA work or am I throwing €20 away?

I've used it twice and both times it's worked.

Nah, it's not working for me. I applied for a free sample about 2weeks ago and no sign of it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

Worked here, ordered 2 large sized items from play that i couldn't get anywhere in Ireland, both of them were dispatched on the 13th got one on the 22nd and the other one today the 26th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

On the Freebie forum it works most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I've seen a sofa bed I'd like to purchase on the Irish argos website - its €339.99, out of curiosity I checked the UK site and it's £224.99 (which converts to €262.63)
    As it's not available for store pick up and only through home delivery, is there anyway to get around this. I'm in Dublin.
    The price difference is really shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jcsmum wrote: »
    As it's not available for store pick up and only through home delivery, is there anyway to get around this.

No, unless you know someone in the UK who will order it for you, and then deliver it to you in Dublin, which will probably cost you more than the price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

joined thread bit late so forgive me i repeat somethings already said,most companies in the uk if you contact them on phone will ship to ireland if you cover the extra cost of course,as for the parcel problem,i have had this happened to me before its due simply ireland not having postal codes you would have to ring the courier and they will set up an delivery,sometimes when i buy stuff from uk i put down the province i.e leinster and if they insist on postal code i put down phone number prefix area code...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Do you honestly think Argos are going to deliver from the UK to Dublin when there is Argos down here?[/quote]

I've since found an older post where somebody ordered from argos.co.uk site gave Irish address, paid in sterling & it was delivered from NI for €25, so turns out it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

9 Twyford Mews, Pig Lane, BISHOP'S STORTFORD, CM22 7PA

9 Twyford Mill, Pig Lane, BISHOP'S STORTFORD, CM22 7PA

There is no flat 9 but there could be
    Flat 8, Twyford Mill, Pig Lane, BISHOP'S STORTFORD, CM22 7PA

http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/addressfinder

back here stuff like
    "the green house opposite Molloy's pub" gets delivered :D
    Yes, I think you'll find that's the Irish alternative to postcodes- pubcodes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Yes, I think you'll find that's the Irish alternative to postcodes- pubcodes

Hehe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

Squidgie wrote: »
    try recessionbustours.ie

people send stuff to their depot in Northern Ireland and they courier them around Ireland for €20 ;)

Hi all,
    A word of warning about http://www.recessionbustours.ie/, they are a complete shower of idiots and I hope you do not have the mis fortunate I did in getting mixed up with them.

I ordered a piece of furniture in Argos in the North and wanted them to deliver it to me in Dublin. Firstly, I contacted them through the contact form on their website and asked how much it would be to get said item of furniture delivered to Dublin and I was told no more then €40. I sent them the exact link from the Argos website so they had dimensions, weight etc. Delivery day came and I was then told I had to pay €60 by another person, apparently the guy that runs the show even though I had the e-mail that said €40. Apparently there are a number of people involved and differnt prices are given out....first warning sign!!

He arrived on his own with a van and my piece of living room furnitire in it, I had though he would at least have had one helper as the unit was big and in two pieces (second warning sign). With no one else in sight I had to help him bring it into my place only to discover the top part of the unit was badly damaged?? Anyhow, Argos got the blame and he agreed to take the unit back up to the North with him.

Next day I called Argos and in fairness to them they agreed to send out a replacement no questions asked. So the delivery date for the replacement is set to the following week and they will pick up the damaged top half of the unit and replace with a new one. I called yer fella and told him the deal, he re-assured me that he would be back down to deliver the replacement unit the next day after it was delivered and that he would call me beforehand.

I waited, and waited and once again waited..... and with no word from him (not even that call he promised), I decided to call. Turns out Argos came, something magical happened and once again the unit was damaged.....He was unable to tell me who signed for the unit?? There is no way in hell that Argos would come to replace a unit with a damaged one and no way they would leave the new unit without it being signed for so all I can assume is one of his incompetent staff damaged it again if in fact that is the real story??

The moral of it all is that I would never ever use these shower again and would be worried for anyone else that would, especially when it comes to furniture. I have no idea what they are like with delivering anything else but I can sure as hell tell you I won't be finding out!!

Sorry to rave but you know it does good to get these things off one's chest!!

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I presume you're out of pocket for the cost of the furniture too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

I will be to a point but compared to the price I would have paid Argos down here for the same unit I'm still OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 staengus

Has anybody had any experience of this working with Asda? They don't even have an email address on the website to contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

I've used it twice and both times it's worked.

Does that Northern Ireland postcode work still just for freebies or paid goods as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement