Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Was in Greenstraw (in Swords) and was not impressed - Quite expensive, food was just OK, and the service was quite poor. After the food I wasn't bothered to try order the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

I have found Greenstraw painfully slow the last couple of times I went in to get a wrap to take away.. actually wouldn't be arsed going back after the last 3 times..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Dord wrote: »
    We went down to Pomodorino in Swords last night. Hands down, it was some of the best pizza I've ever had. My wife agreed.
    The restaurant is very small as mentioned, but it is well presented. The staff were friendly and attentive.

We'll definitely go back there!

Yes visited it now. Small but nice little spot. Seems they expect a good take out pizza trade. We will be back. Food was good, pizza was nice but have had better in one or two places in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Went to the new Gourmet Food Parlour in Northwood for breakfast.
    Food was very nice but it was fairly slow coming out. About 40 minutes but it was quite busy and it's just opened.
    Plenty of parking out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Had a meal tonight in Sagarmatha in Swords; absolutely delicious. Starters were more than enough portion wise, the main courses were spot on but the garlic nan bread was top notch.
    Expect to leave full and very satisfied, I had large bottles of cobra beer while herself had the house white. Will most definitely be making a return visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Oh I heard Swords. Poor woman.

and there aren't too many pubs in portmarnock so not hard to identify which one it is.. very sad story indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The woman is from Swords, God rest her. The pub is in Portmarnock and they're not naming it in the papers, but a pub's kitchen in Portmarnock was given a FSAI food safety closure order at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Anyone been to 5 Rock in Skerries. Heading there at weekend and just wondering if anyone has any thoughts good, bad or indifferent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The food in 5rock is nice, I liked it. Bit expensive maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Just tried the Fish shack in Malahide. It's a great option for something off the cuff and casual, as I don't think they take bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Stheno wrote: »

Portmarnock update ! Feel Sorry for all involved . The Caterers Flanreil have always served superb food in the pub and its always packed every weekend . Don't know what could have gone wrong . Salmonella only occurred in food delivered to homes . No one who ate in the pub was sick !

Pub has remained open for drinks only and I believe the HSE are coming back to reinspect the Restaurant today which has been closed since 18th May

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/investigation-deadly-salmonella-outbreak-extended-13115375

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

O'Dwyers Bar and Grill pub in Portmarnock is reopening for food today. It had been closed for nearly a month following a Salmonella Outbreak in May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

The wife and I were up in Swords Village one afternoon during the week and, for the first time in ages, chose to sit in the front beer garden of the Old Borough as it was warm and it's non smoking, or so we thought. Despite multiple 'no smoking' signs there were several different groups puffing away without the staff batting an eyelid when collecting glasses. I asked about it and was told it was "only if it was interferring with anyone" that it'd be enforced :rolleyes: They should just take the signs down and there'd be no confusion.
    We left and popped around to the Old School House for another drink and some food, it was as good as usual (it's definitely my favourite gastro pub in Swords), but the portions are too big - having noticed this before we decided to share deluxe nachos and Fajitas but we were still bursting afterwards!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Portions in schoolhouse are mental.

I recently discovered O'Connell's in Howth, lovely spot on a warm evening

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Had a family dinner in Blue on Skerries harbour last weekend & it was just ok. Last night I went to its sister restaurant 5rock & was quite impressed. Great steaks & a good range of beers too. Can highly recommend the nacho starters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We've actually taken food home from the Old Schoolhouse in containers because there was so much left over.

THB, I think the Blue Bar is more about hype than actual quality. I love the Brick House :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yeah blue bar is about the location and the hype I feel. It's certainly not bad at all by any means it's reasonably nice but very over hyped as far as I am concerned. Same with 3 rock which I went to only recently. I thought it was over priced for what it was, though it was nice all the same.

I hope the comments on the OSH regarding portion sizes are comments rather than criticisms :)

Still my fave bar around for bar food. Good quality and good value. Defo wouldn't be ordering starters though.... Made that mistake before.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Yeah blue bar is about the location and the hype I feel. It's certainly not bad at all by any means it's reasonably nice but very over hyped as far as I am concerned. Same with 3 rock which I won't to only recently. I thought it was over priced for what it was, though it was nice all the same.

I hope the comments on the OSH regarding portion sizes are comments rather than criticisms :)

Still my fave bar around for bar food. Good quality and good value. Defo wouldn't be ordering starters though.... Made that mistake before.
    Yeah a comment rather than a criticism

I usually have a half portion of the corned beef and can't even finish that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

Personally I'd prefer if they reduced the portion sizes and knocked a quid or two off the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PurplePoodle

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I see Fei's Garden in Balbriggan in now Osaka Japanese Restaurant and takeaway.
    Has anyone tried it yet? I only found out today and can't wait for the weekend to try it!

This place closed down last week according to their FB page. It’s a shame, it was really good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Sad to see that Raff's on the corner in Skerries is closing down this Sunday (17th).
    Had many a nice meal there.

Source: Raff's Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

went to seabank in malahide last week for the OHs birthday, went mid week so it was quiet with only 2 other tables occupied which was good as the place is tiny inside and the tables are on top of each other, food was good but bit thought theyd have a lot more seafood on the menu. not a place i,d be rushing back to especially on a Friday or Saturday night when its likely to be busy.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Sad to see that Raff's on the corner in Skerries is closing down this Sunday (17th).
    Had many a nice meal there.

Source: Raff's Facebook.

Shame but there is so much competition in Skerries over the last couple of years maybe the time is right for them to bow out on a high note?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Homer wrote: »
    Shame but there is so much competition in Skerries over the last couple of years maybe the time is right for them to bow out on a high note?

I keep saying it, but once a restaurant goes down the 'groupon' route, they rarely survive.

Sad to see this close as i only ever had good meals here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Gourmet Food Parlour in North Street :)
    Was in there on Saturday for brunch, and it was hopping. Food was excellent. I'm glad to see them doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Homer wrote: »
    True. What Balbriggan is to fast food joints, Skerries is to steak/burger/wing restaurants.

Advertisement