Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 particle filter

• 12-03-2009 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have a 2004 Peugeot 407 1.6hdi. It needs a new particle filter and a fill of eloys fluid. Has anyone got this done? Just wondering what kind of cost is involved. I have heard that reconditioned versions of the filter are available. Is this true? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

i hope you are ready for serious wallet damage. I own a 406 coupe Hdi, i was quoted 300+labour for a reconditioned filter. Expect 6-7 hours labour at €50 per hour. The fluid i have in my car is called cerene so it might be different to yours, but that costs about €35-40 a litre (5 litre tank).

Is your fluid empty? if so this is the reason for the filter blockage. You might want to try getting the fluid refilled before plumping for a filter change. Tell the garage you want them to put a thimble full of it neat into the tank to clear the filter. If after a few days its still erroring for blockage its screwed.

If you are handy you can clean the existing filter yourself (I did mine with a pal.) It took all day but saved me a bomb. Details on how to do it for my car are stickied on the forum at www.peugeot406coupe.com, you mgiht want to check that if no-one has done a 407 procedure.

if the filter is not erroring at all and this is some kind of 80k service or something, dont get it done, just run it to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HighMan

Thanks for the reply. I am getting three errors - "Depollution System Faulty", "Particle Filter regeneration cycle urgent" and "particle filter additive fluid level too low". Where did you get the quote for the recon filter? I was thinking of going north of the border for the parts and fluid. I use the car as a taxi and need to get all this sorted before the end of april.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

quote was from Conlons in Edenderry. You will defo get a better price up north. UK users of the 406 coupe forum have mentioned prices of £650 for parts and labour tho - this is not a cheap job.
    Your errors are worded different to my old ones but the reason for them is that you have run out of fluid. The fluid lowers the burning temp of soot. This means that you're getting a buildup of soot in your filter(which happens normally), but when the car does its regen cycle its not burning off. If you are doing the job yourself, you just take off the old filter and powerwash it for 20-30 mins at a garage and pop it back on. The reason the job takes ages is drilling out worn bolts etc while underneath the car, plus the fact you have to dry the filter off in the hot press to be certain you dont blow the sensor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwOvh58cxNU&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=3F689D51B5A02678&playnext=1&index=44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Row

Peugeot will charge you around 800-850 to replace the filter with a new one, top up the eolys tank and reset the system.....:eek:
    I guess you have around 100k covered on your 407...??
    Is it a 1.6 or 20 hdi??
    Row

Rang Peugeot in Newry. I can get recon particle filter, additive fluid and a wishbone all for €760. I dont think I could beat that anywhere else. Row I have 122k miles on 1.6hdi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

thats serious stuff.
    for a particle filter ,im guessing its under the dash or somthing thats the big labour cost.
    id try do it myself justr take my time doin it .

HighMan wrote: »
    Rang Peugeot in Newry. I can get recon particle filter, additive fluid and a wishbone all for €760. I dont think I could beat that anywhere else. Row I have 122k miles on 1.6hdi.

Is it the wishbone bushing thats worn..normally its the lower balljoint
    that gives trouble...:confused:
    €760 sounds good for the dpf...:)

TURRICAN wrote: »
    thats serious stuff.
    for a particle filter ,im guessing its under the dash or somthing thats the big labour cost.
    id try do it myself justr take my time doin it .

This is the base of the dpf on the 1.6 hdi's...;)

Sep-Oct08072.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭DubDani

Not sure who you called in Newry, but it wasn't a Peugeot Dealer. The peugeot Dealer in Newry (Edward McAlinden) closed a few months ago. ;)

Might habe been the Peugeot Dealer in Armagh who have taken on their customer base.

DubDani wrote: »
    Not sure who you called in Newry, but it wasn't a Peugeot Dealer. The peugeot Dealer in Newry (Edward McAlinden) closed a few months ago. ;)

Might habe been the Peugeot Dealer in Armagh who have taken on their customer base.

I did a search for Peugeot Newry on Google and I got the number for McAlinden. Rang the number and was answered. Wasn't aware they closed. Must be as you said. Must ring in the morning and find out. I just assumed it was Peugeot in Newry I was talking to. Row, it is definitely the wishbone bush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭406C

HighMan wrote: »
    Rang Peugeot in Newry. I can get recon particle filter, additive fluid and a wishbone all for €760. I dont think I could beat that anywhere else.

without a doubt you can by printing off the article from the 406 coupe owners club on how to clean it, getting a local mechanic to take it off, power washing it down the local car wash for 30 - 40 mins then getting the mechanic to put it back on - hey presto clean FAP :)

If your car has had its filter cleaned/replaced, cerene filled and faults registered on the ECU cleared, and you keep getting FAP/Engine Management alerts and even limp mode kicking in, ask the garage to check the turbo flap, vacuum reservoir, pressure sensor, fuel cap sensor, EGR diaphragm/ vacuum and throttle valve vacuum, as they all have the same diagnostic destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dikiedavis

sorry to ask but could you tell me where the eloys tank is located in the 407.and is it possible to remove the particle filter,clean it out with a power washer or are the threads im reading inncorrect?have this problem now for a while and havent the bills to pay for it to be done,no major loss of performance to the car but nct is due so need to get a finger out,any help i would be grateful thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fanthomas

220 euro in Poland plus about 20 for posting http://www.allegro.pl/item869092572_filtr_fap_peugeot_206_307_407_citroen_c4_c5_1_6hdi.html If you need any help with translation or something else give me a show...I am polish:)

Great link Fanthomas....;)..are these reconditioned or new dpf's...??

The eloys tanks is located beside the diesel tank rear left wheel its covered by a aluminium cover.
    It will cost around €110 for 3 litres of eloys (dealers) but you will need to get the counters/system reset by planet or an equivalent diagnostic equipment.
    Really the dpf would want to be checked with live data to see if it is getting blocked by checking the differential pressure and filter load.
    Theres some info on here...
    www.407owners.com/forums
    Heres a pic of the eloys been topped up.
    Aug-Sep09365.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fanthomas

It is brand new!Comes straight from a shop.

Fanthomas wrote: »
    It is brand new!Comes straight from a shop.

Nice one....:cool:

sorry again but how do yo fill the eloys tank?does it have a filler nozzle or do i need to remove the tank

dikiedavis wrote: »
    sorry again but how do yo fill the eloys tank?does it have a filler nozzle or do i need to remove the tank

When you buy the 1 or 3 litre additive from peugeot/citroen a filling kit comes with it...:) maybe have a look at your own tank and see how full/empty it is.
    They usally need topping up around 80-100,00miles.

As i said topping up the tank is only one part of it ..the system counters need
    to be reset so it knows its full again and the dpf needs looking at with
    diagnostic equipment as if it blocks it can cause back pressure in your engine which can do harm to your turbo....and engine....:eek:
    If your anywhere near galway i can reset the system with Planet...:)

I forgot to mention eloys fluid is pretty nasty stuff and can cause burns
    to the skin....so be careful if you do top up your additive tank.
    If you need anymore info on topping up the additive pm me an i can
    send you some info...Ron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Row wrote: »
    the system counters need
    to be reset so it knows its full again

For a Ford Focus 1.6 with the DPF, the Haynes manual has a routine without any diagnostic equipment (turn ignition on a few times, open/close fuel flap a few times, dance around the car 3 times etc etc...

Yet to try!

• Advertisement

mullingar wrote: »
    For a Ford Focus 1.6 with the DPF, the Haynes manual has a routine without any diagnostic equipment (turn ignition on a few times, open/close fuel flap a few times, dance around the car 3 times etc etc...

Yet to try!

:D:D...is it called the dpf dance....:D
    With Peugeot/Citroens the counters need to be zeroed....with the first
    607's there was a procedure along with the diag equip where you would have to open the fuel cap for a few minutes,close it again wait a few more minutes
    etc.....But no mention of a dance...:)
    With the 407's resetting is straight forward enough....:)
    Ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭halkar

I think my c4 will need this too. I used to get the warning light from time to time few months ago. Now I get this warning everytime I start the car lately. Car is over 100k miles. Due for service in few weeks. Looks like it will be a shocking one too.

I'll will dance around the car tomorrow. Maybe save myself a small fortune :D

halkar wrote: »
    I think my c4 will need this too. I used to get the warning light from time to time few months ago. Now I get this warning everytime I start the car lately. Car is over 100k miles. Due for service in few weeks. Looks like it will be a shocking one too.

I'll will dance around the car tomorrow. Maybe save myself a small fortune :D

Don't let it go to long as if it blocks it can cause other engine/turbo problems.
    Then there maybe a war dance...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

is this job enevitable. eg does it happen every 1.6hdi around 100k or do some cars escape without ever hving to be touched. just curious to know what price your looking if the dpf or watever comes up on the screen to get fixed presuming you get it done straight away

is this job enevitable. eg does it happen every 1.6hdi around 100k or do some cars escape without ever hving to be touched. just curious to know what price your looking if the dpf or watever comes up on the screen to get fixed presuming you get it done straight away

Both the 1.6 and 20 hdi's have dpf's where Peugeot recommend replacment
    around 100k-ish.
    I'm afraid None of them escape.....:eek:

On a dpf service Peugeot would normally do.....
    1)replaced they dpf with a reconditioned unit. €380 give or take (Parts only)
    2)top up additive tank €110 give or take for 3 litres (parts only)
    3)Reset the counters and tell the engine ecu that its had a new dpf..
    labour and system reset will vary but say €300 - €350.
    so this brings it up to around €800-850 from a main dealer....:eek:

Prices may have came back down since....:confused:

Maybe ring your local dealer and ask them for a price for a dpf replacment and topping up the additive tank.

The 1.6 hdi's tend to display ... Particle filter regeneration cycle urgent and
    the 20 hdi's tend to ... display..... depolution system faulty

Removing and powerwashing the dpf's can also be a cheaper alternative
    but then these faults will still need resetting and the additive will also need
    to be topped up.
    If need be i can check reset all dpf systems on all Peugeot/Citroens.
    and it won't break the bank.....:)

whats up row.do you have any info on removing the dpf from a 1.6 pug 407.do i need to cut the thing off?how accessible is it to remove?im no mechanic so is it a job for some one who knows their ****? thanks row

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

whats up row.do you have any info on removing the dpf from a 1.6 pug 407.do i need to cut the thing off?how accessible is it to remove?im no mechanic so is it a job for some one who knows their ****? thanks row

eemmm, if you knew your **** why are you asking for help?? :confused:

What mileage have you on your 407...??
    The dpf is below the turbo.
    You can't cut it out so easy as your car will be in limp mode all/most the time...:eek:

I'm guessing you have "Partical filter regeneration urgent" comming up
    on your display....?
    Were are you based..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Harcrid

mullingar wrote: »
    eemmm, if you knew your **** why are you asking for help?? :confused:

I don't think he is saying he knows his sh** but rather is it a job for another person who knows his sh**.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Im sure I read somewhere recently that superchips or someone like them can remove the DPF programme from the Peugeot/Citroen ecus which will allow them to run without the need fr the filter and fluid. This aparently makes them better on diesel and a bit better responsive wise too but the main thing is that they still pass the emmisions test.

I know a few people with merc vans who had them removed and the ecu reprogrammed to operate without them who have had no problems with the engines since.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement