Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking the Beara peninsula

• 23-09-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi all,
    During a casual chat on a hike on Sunday, I mentioned that I'd like to hike the length of the Beara peninsula mountain range(s).
    I'm not getting a lot of information on this online. There is info on walking along the coast, or cycling. A little on hiking and stopping in the towns, but nothing on a multi-day hike from end to end.
    Anyone on here done this before?
    Any routes or tips would be much appreciated.
    I do a lot of hiking and have a couple of other multi-day hikes/treks planned for next year already, so not an urgent request.

TIA
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Hi all,
    During a casual chat on a hike on Sunday, I mentioned that I'd like to hike the length of the Beara peninsula mountain range(s).
    I'm not getting a lot of information on this online. There is info on walking along the coast, or cycling. A little on hiking and stopping in the towns, but nothing on a multi-day hike from end to end.
    Anyone on here done this before?
    Any routes or tips would be much appreciated.
    I do a lot of hiking and have a couple of other multi-day hikes/treks planned for next year already, so not an urgent request.

TIA
    Eoin

A bunch of us did many years ago. From Alihes to Gougonbarra over 3 days along the spine of the peninsula. We did it almost totally self sufficiently (a mate did drive to meet us with treats at one of the road passes). Apart from him we only met one or two other people over the 3 days. So it can be quite remote for large stretches. Views were mostly fantastic. Navigating the ridgeline is mostly straightforward. Definitely worth timing it for the best weather you can manage. Not many hiding places, or quick escapes to civilization.

Overall definitely up there as one of the best hillwalking experiences I've had in Ireland.

I've also gone from Gouganbarra to the Healy pass as a trekking leg in an adventure race (Turas Mor). Similar, but much faster experience. Again, the views are amazing when you get them.

We (Na Sléibhte HC) did 39km of it on a club walk in 2018 - E to W .

The gpx track for it is here https://mountainviews.ie/track/report/3762/

I did it in the other direction a few years back and, basically, followed the County Boundary line on the map - from Hungry Hill to Top of Coom.

Some of it is hard/rough walking but (like all Irish mountains) it's just splendid on a fine day.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Thanks, I'm told you're better going E to W for the views. Not sure if the logistics are going to be any different - apart from getting home from the West end.

Advertisement