Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you be a carnivore and care about animals?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

auspicious wrote: »
    Isn't it the fat and not actually the animal protein that gave us the larger brains? Easier ways to get it these days.

I should then have a 300 iq brain at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Can you be vegan/vegetarian and care for carnivore pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Why is it morally dubious? Morals tend to be individualistic in nature, so, people pushing the belief that it's morally wrong are simply pushing that their morals are more important than other peoples. no?

Sorry. I don't get the logic that says eating meat is morally wrong. I can understand the biological/scientific arguments that might suggest that it's unhealthy (although i'll probably continue eating it anyway)

Well if we can't agree on a standard of morals , well to hell with everything so.
    The act of eating meat, imo, isn't morally wrong. It just all the stuff that happens to get it to the plate is morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

For the record, anyone that tries to force a vegetarian diet on a dog/cat/etc [i.e. natural carnivores] needs to brought up on animal welfare charges and banned from ever having animals again. Supplementing with veg is fine, but strictly only veg based food? If I find anyone like that, I'll feed them to the animal instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

How can a vegan eat vegan stew. Don't you need to chop up a vegan to put it in the stew in the first place. I mean i'm confused they don't eat meat but they eat their own. Now that's weird.

• Advertisement

Carnivore pets that were domesticated and then abandoned and treated with indifference can be be cared for and given a quality of life which they are unable to sustain on their own. Yes.

Kylta wrote: »
    How can a vegan eat vegan stew. Don't you need to chop up a vegan to put it in the stew in the first place. I mean i'm confused they don't eat meat but they eat their own. Now that's weird.

Salt and pepper is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You may grow up to be a fish.
    Or a giant cockroach.

Actually I don't know if this is off topic, but how can vegan give their partner head, if they don't eat meat. I mean is a sausage a sausage or what?

Animals feel pain and the meat industry isn't renowned for being kind to them.

I'm not really pushing anything. I was just asking what people thought. As I said, I consume meat regularly.

So, it's morally wrong because animals feel pain? Err. I'm still not seeing the moral problem here.

In any case, I'd feel that people will do what they want, and as long as it's legal, I don't have much patience for people telling me that it's wrong to do so. They'd have little patience with me picking something from their live style that I might dislike.. and I'm pretty sure I could find something easily enough. IMO It's best to leave people be... as long as it's legal.

Not aiming that at you btw... I've encountered hostile vegans before, and didn't have much patience with their outrage, and drama.

• Advertisement

Kylta wrote: »
    Actually I don't know if this is off topic, but how can vegan give their partner head, if they don't eat meat. I mean is a sausage a sausage or what?

They're not eating/digesting the sausage, and protein in sperm, isn't meat. So...

They're not eating/digesting the sausage, and protein in sperm, isn't meat. So...

Ok, so its ok to lick and suck meat but not actually eat meat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, it's morally wrong because animals feel pain? Err. I'm still not seeing the moral problem here.

In any case, I'd feel that people will do what they want, and as long as it's legal, I don't have much patience for people telling me that it's wrong to do so. They'd have little patience with me picking something from their live style that I might dislike.. and I'm pretty sure I could find something easily enough. IMO It's best to leave people be... as long as it's legal.

Not aiming that at you btw... I've encountered hostile vegans before, and didn't have much patience with their outrage, and drama.

You're twisting my words again. I said "dubious", not "wrong". Again, I'm not trying to push anything. I was just wondering what people thought of the idea that people who eat meat can't care about animals given that they're actively promoting their slaughter in droves by consuming meat.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Well if we can't agree on a standard of morals , well to hell with everything so.
    The act of eating meat, imo, isn't morally wrong. It just all the stuff that happens to get it to the plate is morally wrong.

Common morality tend to be reflected in the law. Previously Religion would have been the secondary influence for common morality.. but we've kinda done away with that one.

Typically, people have their own individual set of morals, which have common connections with others, but will have some personal biases. For example, I have no problem hitting a woman if she hits me first (self-defense and self respect), whereas a lot of other people wouldn't ever hit a woman. Whereas we likely share other morals such as finding stealing to be morally wrong.

Ever see a zebra being torn apart by a pride of lions? Pretty sure it's in pain. Oh sh*t, don't tell the vegans!! They'll be trying to make the lions vegan next!!

Disclaimer: the above is a little thing called humour, which is becoming increasingly rare in this woke society. Please direct any complains straight up your own butt, thank you.

Humour aside, my point is LIFE is not supposed to be easy. Life is itself a hardship. it's not supposed to be a gentle ride on big fluffy clouds! Enjoy the sunshine, but weather the storms!

God I hate people these days.. .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Had a Vegan meal once, used the bones to make a nice broth afterwards hmmmmm tasty, tasty Vegan!

Common morality tend to be reflected in the law. Previously Religion would have been the secondary influence for common morality.. but we've kinda done away with that one.

Typically, people have their own individual set of morals, which have common connections with others, but will have some personal biases. For example, I have no problem hitting a woman if she hits me first (self-defense and self respect), whereas a lot of other people wouldn't ever hit a woman. Whereas we likely share other morals such as finding stealing to be morally wrong.

Oh ffs. You're after reminding me of a thread not too long ago where some actual ****s were saying hitting a woman in self defence is wrong if if she's lunging at you with a knife.. .. ..

Would I ever hit a woman? Nope. Would I defend myself from an aggressive woman? Yes. Can't see the difference? Then you're a muppet. Simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

If humans became herbivore then some animals wouldn’t even exist, so carnivores help animals have some kind of existence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's an interesting one, one of my vegan friends cares for gerbils, and another has a cat.

It's all an individual judgement I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

jaxxx wrote: »
    Humour aside, my point is LIFE is not supposed to be easy. Life is itself a hardship. it's not supposed to be a gentle ride on big fluffy clouds! Enjoy the sunshine, but weather the storms!

Nature, red in tooth and claw!

• Advertisement

You're twisting my words again. I said "dubious", not "wrong". Again, I'm not trying to push anything. I was just wondering what people thought of the idea that people who eat meat can't care about animals given that they're actively promoting their slaughter in droves by consuming meat.

Sorry, didn't mean to twist your words. Morally dubious... which is a suggestion that it's possibly wrong. maybe. And I didn't say that you were trying to push anything.

And people eating meat aren't promoting anything. They're simply eating a product that is available. My not eating meat is not going to cause meat to be stopped as a product for others to buy... and I can care quite well for animals while eating a chicken drumstick. They're not mutually exclusive.

Nah. With respect, you say you're not pushing anything but the phrasing of your sentences is designed to project an idea.

" the idea that people who eat meat can't care about animals given that they're actively promoting their slaughter in droves by consuming meat."

That's pushing an idea in itself.

Don't want to drill down into rabbit holes herebut common morality based in law although is necessary but as seen in previous historical contexts falls short of objective standards ( and not retrospectively).

Oh ffs. You're after reminding me of a thread not too long ago where some actual ****s were saying hitting a woman in self defence is wrong if if she's lunging at you with a knife.. .. ..

Individual morality. We all have some morals that are subtly different or open to interpretation depending on the circumstances.

I grew up on a farm for a fair chunk of my teenage years, and saw my grandparents killing, skinning, etc the animals that we would eat for dinner. It seemed perfectly natural to me. Whereas, for these vegans, it wouldn't be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ever see a zebra being torn apart by a pride of lions? Pretty sure it's in pain. oh sh*t, don't tell the vegans!! They'll be trying to make the lions vegan next!!

Disclaimer: the above is a little thing called humour, which is becoming increasingly rare in this woke society. Please direct any complains straight up your own butt, thank you.

I think there was some loon on the Niall Boylan show a few years ago saying that carnivores could be trained to be vegan's.

Niall ripped him a new one.

It''s the usual SJW cuck who wants to shag your girlfriend and all their female friends that are vegan.

Any male vegan I know are usually creepy, have really strange personalities and are obsessed with sex and extremely needy and have very poor communication skills.

Out of around six vegan's I know all are male and one of them is sound.
    Although that soy milk isn't doing him much favours, he looks like he's growing tits and his voice is gone very feminine.

Don't want to drill down into rabbit holes herebut common morality based in law although is necessary but as seen in previous historical contexts falls short of objective standards ( and not retrospectively).

I said reflected in the law, not based on the law.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I was a vegetarian in my student days, although never a big meat eater.

I do eat meat, mostly fish, these days. Free range or organic if possible, but not always.

I find it odd that people find hunting more ethically acceptable. I guess the animal has had a natural life, but being shot is apparently very painful, so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

define " care about animals " ?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I was a vegetarian in my student days, although never a big meat eater.

I do eat meat, mostly fish, these days. Free range or organic if possible, but not always.

I find it odd that people find hunting more ethically acceptable. I guess the animal has had a natural life, but being shot is apparently very painful, so they say.
    Killing for fun: "Ah yeah that's fine!"
    Killing for hunger: "YOU ARE THE DEVIL!"

Funnily enough I'm not a huge meat eater myself. Mostly fish and chicken, free range when possible like yourself. Now that i think about it, i don't actually know any vegans.. .. ..

1st world problems... :D

I just hate stupid people these days... As for People in general.. I have a tiny kernel of hope that this fashion of retarded thinking will decline, and common sense will reappear. Hopefully.

• Advertisement

1st world problems... :D

I just hate stupid people these days... As for People in general.. I have a tiny kernel of hope that this fashion of retarded thinking will decline, and common sense will reappear. Hopefully.

Ain't gonna happen unfortunately, not unless something which threatens our survival as a species happens.. .. .. in which case I'm jumping ship and joining the anti-human side!

Common sense is becoming more and more endangered :( The irony of calling it "common" sense. You'd have more chance of finding a pure perfect tyrannosaurus fossil under your bed.

Advertisement