Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gift from tenant

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

You tried to return the money, which was a weird thing for the tenant to do tbh - a voucher or something would have been a more appropriate gift to give - honestly I would forget about it now unless they for some reason ask for it back.

You want a strictly business relationship but you mention things like them having a newborn baby etc which is why you had a new boiler fitted. You had a responsibility to do this as part of your business relationship with the tenants anyway, along with the dishwasher if this came with the property.

You're overthinking this. There is no reason to be reluctant to put the rent up if it is within the rules of RPZ. Considering the limits placed on you by RPZ sounds like they will still be getting a good deal on their rent even with the increase.

Lol

First response to an extra sound tenant is to jack up the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have a property which I let out, it is in negative equity and a pain in the balls. I have owned it since 2005 and have some very good tenants in there.

Off-topic, but could a house really still be in negative equity in 2020, if both in 2005?

Hardly?

Geuze wrote: »
    Off-topic, but could a house really still be in negative equity in 2020, if both in 2005?

Hardly?

Friend of mine bought in 2008 i think. And he's just around the break-even mark at the moment. And his property isn't exactly megabucks. So I'd imagine a dublin property that was massively overpriced could still be negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Friend of mine bought in 2008 i think. And he's just around the break-even mark at the moment. And his property isn't exactly megabucks. So I'd imagine a dublin property that was massively overpriced could still be negative.

But surely after 15 years of mortgage repayments, the mortgage balance would be well down?

Even with a 30yr loan, the mortgage balance after 15 years would be down what, to 60%-70% of the original mortgage?

I think sometimes people confuse negative equity with capital loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dubrov wrote: »
    The landlord is obligated to repair these.
    And the OP could've gotten Cheapo Repairs Ltd to fix it so that it'd barely work again. But they shelled out and bought new. Haven't had a LL like that yet; they all either buy 2nd hand, or have a non-english speaking Chinese dude in to fix it (to be fair to him, even he turned down the crazy lady!).

• Advertisement

But surely after 15 years of mortgage repayments, the mortgage balance would be well down?

Even with a 30yr loan, the mortgage balance after 15 years would be down what, to 60%-70% of the original mortgage?

I wouldn't be wholly sure to be honest. But I'll use the friend of mine as an example, and my figures are rough.

I believe he bought a 245k house, over 35 years, and is now 13 years into the mortgage? Unsure of his interest rate, but we'll take a stab in the dark at 2.5 (would that be the average?).

House is worth about €180k now, give or take.

I'll let someone else do the math on where he is/should be at the moment as I havent a notion how to figure that out... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

What would most landlords do?

The boiler and dishwasher broke. The landlord is obligated to repair these.

Just because a landlord is obligated to do something does not mean he will do it in a timely fashion or at all
    All rented domestic premises without access to outside drying facilities are meant to have a washer dryer or a separate clothes dryer
    How many do ?
    Just because the OP fulfilled his obligations in a timely manner does not mean every landlord does

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The tenant knows they are getting cheap rent and are worried that all the recent expenses may trigger you to up their rent.
    The gift was a way of reminding you that they are a good tenant and will give you little hassle going forward.

Choose to take that as you wish.

I used to always send a present to my landlord a couple of months before a new lease was to be signed :) It worked too. Nothing like killing people with kindness when they are about to increase your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Mortgage holidays, interest only. Loads of reasons

Advertisement