Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buyer choosing what contents they want

Options
  • 11-08-2020 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

We are just about to sign contracts on a property. We are the sellers.
    EA never mentioned anything about contents.
    When purchasers sent contracts to our solicitor, they mentioned that they were buying the house with the suite of furniture, dining room table included.
    We never agreed this with the EA and he said he never discussed it with the purchasers.
    Is this very unusual for the buyer to pick and choose what they want without even asking or offering to pay for it?
    Solicitor and EA said to just let it go, which I will but think it’s very rude.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,131 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would not be normal, also in these Covid times would seem rather oddball wanting the suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Your eatate agent sounds extremely unprofessional to have not put them right and acted in a professional manner with regard to the sale - house and contents or house and fittings or house and fittings nd furnishings - every idiot knows there is a difference.

Having said that would you he happier to refuse their offer and lose the sale over it, or would you he happy to accept a lower offer with knocked 2 or 3k off the price but left you with the furniture? Or tonadd 2 or 3k to the price they offered contingent in them getting the pieces they wanted? Maybe its being bought as a buy to
    let and the people just want it to be hassle free for themselves - or may be so overstreatched they have nothing left to buy their own furniture.

Maybe they are just scabby but surely someone buying a house would want to choose their own furniture and decorate it to their own taste?

That being said my around the corner sold their house and I kid you not, ripped out the fireplaces, light fittings and took the solid wooden floors up - can you imagine spending half a million and walking into that when you get the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JDMC2 wrote: »
    When purchasers sent contracts to our solicitor, they mentioned that they were buying the house with the suite of furniture, dining room table included.
    Sounds like they don't want to spend anything after buying the house.

If it's a suite that you don't intend on replacing in the next two years, I'd nearly tell them to go jump if there's other interest in the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We're buying atm and we realised that the estate agent never told us what was/wasn't included and we just didn't think to ask at the viewing. But like, we just went back and asked the estate agent then, we didn't get it written into the contract! From talking to our solicitor it seemed like we could get whatever we wanted written into the contract and then it's up to the seller if they want to challenge that condition. But I think it's a bit of a dick move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

Think it’s a bit mean. When I was buying my house, there was an outdoor dog house which was made by a tasty carpenter. When I admired it at the first viewing, the EA said it wasn’t included. Fast forward to getting the keys. Seller met me (& my dog) and asked what furniture, if any, I didn’t want. He spent two hours chatting about the history of the house, neighbours etc. I arrived back the next morning to a card through the letterbox & 200 euro luck money. However, the biggest delight was he said he was leaving the dog house because my dog needed a house too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

It is not particular unusual to request specific items of furniture to be included as part of the sale when making a bid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Fkall wrote: »
    It is not particular unusual to request specific items of furniture to be included as part of the sale when making a bid.

They're well beyond the bidding stage though, they're about to sign the contracts. It's just a bit late in the day to be making demands!

We were told by our solicitor that usually white goods and fittings are included, but to confirm with the estate agent. Anything beyond that (i.e. any furniture), it's usually discussed before putting them in the contracts. It's a bit presumptuous listing specific items of furniture in the contract without ever having discussed it.

As an aside, our seller has told us that there are a few items of furniture they'd be willing to sell us. I don't know if that's normal or not! If they were willing to leave a few things behind we might take them, just to tide us over to start off with. But we're not really keen on paying for furniture that we'll be replacing with new stuff soon enough anyway and then the hassle of having to get rid of the old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭IBrows89

When we bought our house a couple of years ago we wanted to make sure all their furniture was moved out so had let them know that, can be more of a hassle getting rid of stuff you don't want if it's left behind. But we made it all clear form the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The general presumption is that furniture is moved out, otherwise you are not getting vacant possession. If the o/p doesn't want to give the furniture the thing to do is delete the mention of them in the contracts before returning and send a cover letter to the other solicitor to say that these items were never included in the sales contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Your eatate agent sounds extremely unprofessional to have not put them right and acted in a professional manner with regard to the sale - house and contents or house and fittings or house and fittings nd furnishings - every idiot knows there is a difference.

Having said that would you he happier to refuse their offer and lose the sale over it, or would you he happy to accept a lower offer with knocked 2 or 3k off the price but left you with the furniture? Or tonadd 2 or 3k to the price they offered contingent in them getting the pieces they wanted? Maybe its being bought as a buy to
    let and the people just want it to be hassle free for themselves - or may be so overstreatched they have nothing left to buy their own furniture.

Maybe they are just scabby but surely someone buying a house would want to choose their own furniture and decorate it to their own taste?

That being said my around the corner sold their house and I kid you not, ripped out the fireplaces, light fittings and took the solid wooden floors up - can you imagine spending half a million and walking into that when you get the keys.

I would have been straight on to my solicitor and started a legal case.
    There again I always ask for a walk around the house the day I sign the contracts when buying a house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Generally if you need a screwdriver to remove it it's include in the sale, everything else is up to the seller.

There may be some miss understanding which is why they mentioned it. Simply clear it up and move on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Generally if you need a screwdriver to remove it it's include in the sale, everything else is up to the seller.

There may be some miss understanding which is why they mentioned it. Simply clear it up and move on.

Or alternatively, I took down all my expensive light fittings when we sold both our properties and replaced them with standard pendant and light shades.

Nobody ever said anything to us afterwards.
    Must have been €2k worth of lights so no way were they being left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Gumbo wrote: »
    Or alternatively, I took down all my expensive light fittings when we sold both our properties and replaced them with standard pendant and light shades.

That's expected.
    Taking the floors is not.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Our house was empty, but there was a swing out in the back garden that the missus fancied. Lucky for her, the seller wasn't taking it with him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gumbo wrote: »

How fancy are your light fittings? :eek:

I've gone mostly for diffused light from lamps; so excluding the under-counter lights; which I'd leave as they're well mated to the cabinets by now; the dearest light fittings are the triple spot heads in the kitchen that might have been forty quid each.

Have a terrifying number of bulbs/sockets on my smart lighting app as a result of the lamp mania though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

When we went sale agreed on our house the seller specified a list of furniture/appliances that they were intending to leave behind. If we preferred they take/dump something we could ask for it not to be included in the list. The agreed list was included in the contract then. I thought it was a good way to do it.

I would never have specifically asked that something be included though, especially a suite of furniture! Seems a bit cheeky to me OP they could be using it as a last ditch bargaining attempt. I'd tell them to run and jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

woodchuck wrote: »
    They're well beyond the bidding stage though, they're about to sign the contracts. It's just a bit late in the day to be making demands!

Or exactly the right time...

... if you're a cheeky bollix.

Advertisement