Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homelessness numbers and their impact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There were numerous photos in the media of that boy. The others weren’t heart wrenching enough. One of him standing at a table choosing a treat. Another of him standing at a table eating. Another of him sitting on a crate eating. So the photographer was there for some time.

So?

You are so set on seeing bad in everything so I will leave you to it. A world view I abhor and will not share in. Deeply offends.

Over and out

JJJackal wrote: »
    I would be interested to see what proportion of those homeless have been offered a property to occupy and declined.

Why interested? We who face homelessness do have rights of choice. The law allows that to some extent and rightly so.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Why interested? We who face homelessness do have rights of choice. The law allows that to some extent and rightly so.

Ever heard the expression “Beggars cannot be choosers”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Always about the rights. Never no word about responsibilities to themselves and the scatter of kids brought into homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah yes, the right to continue to be homeless. To demand a house, but not take it if offered, as they want it in X area. And not see the hypocrisy in that people can't buy a house in the area that the homeless demand a free house in.

I too would like to see the current percentage of how many of the homeless refuse a house, and if any reason is given.

• Advertisement

Ever heard the expression “Beggars cannot be choosers”.

Does not refer to or apply to a modern welfare state. Period,

We who need a decent home in an area we feel safe in are not beggars.

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah yes, the right to continue to be homeless. To demand a house, but not take it if offered, as they want it in X area. And not see the hypocrisy in that people can't buy a house in the area that the homeless demand a free house in.

I too would like to see the current percentage of how many of the homeless refuse a house, and if any reason is given.

:eek:

So much awry in this post. Not worth responding to frankly. All been said before and thankfully will not change how these things are done. ;)

Oh your last para; ask google. Plenty of info there,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Field east

So?

You are so set on seeing bad in everything so I will leave you to it. A world view I abhor and will not share in. Deeply offends.

Over and out

I am aware of a few situations where the photographer spent hours/ days waiting for that one photo to use re accompanying an article on , for example, how poor people are, how under nourished children are, on living conditions, size of crowds attending a protest, etc, etc, etc,, etc. that will present the issue being addressed in the worst possible light. Organizations, political parties, etc use the strategy all the time to ‘make a point’. Sometimes these photo ‘opportunities’ are actually set up. Talk about fake news.

‘Individual cases can make for bad law if acted upon’ comes to mind.

PS I saw a builder, in the cold weather, eating out of a plastic container, while sitting outside on a concrete block. He could have eaten in the kitchen in the house he was working on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d be concerned about what can be done fir rough sleepers, they are homeless.

Don’t worry a bit about the rest of the “homeless”, they are fine, just playing the system.

Field east wrote: »
    I am aware of a few situations where the photographer spent hours/ days waiting for that one photo to use re accompanying an article on , for example, how poor people are, how under nourished children are, on living conditions, size of crowds attending a protest, etc, etc, etc,, etc. that will present the issue being addressed in the worst possible light. Organizations, political parties, etc use the strategy all the time to ‘make a point’. Sometimes these photo ‘opportunities’ are actually set up. Talk about fake news.

‘Individual cases can make for bad law if acted upon’ comes to mind.

PS I saw a builder, in the cold weather, eating out of a plastic container, while sitting outside on a concrete block. He could have eaten in the kitchen in the house he was working on

If you google “boy eating dinner off cardboard” you get many pictures of the boy. Kneeling on cardboard. Sitting on a crate. Standing at a table eating from a bowl and drinking.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=boy+eating+dinner+off+cardboard&rlz=1C9BKJA_enIE744IE744&hl=en-GB&prmd=ivsn&sxsrf=ALeKk02pcWPsbNYOmjCbm4ITXkbJx4nalg:1582707990519&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiB5Lrc7u7nAhWSs3EKHVhGBqgQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=1024&bih=651&dpr=2

• Advertisement

Does not refer to or apply to a modern welfare state. Period,

We who need a decent home in an area we feel safe in are not beggars.

When you are being housed by the tax payer you lose the right to choose, you take what you get or else you should directed to the nearest store selling tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

:eek:

So much awry in this post. Not worth responding to frankly. All been said before and thankfully will not change how these things are done. ;)

You did not deny the content of the post rather you do not feel its worth responding on!

This speaks volumes the whole entitlement culture that exists in Ireland regarding welfare supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Round and round it goes:

I want house here.

No, you must work for it.

F*ck off.

Okay, here's your palace your highness.

Meanwhile, the peasants continue to slave away...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not worth responding to frankly.
    The above quote is a response to my post.
    All been said before and thankfully will not change how these things are done. ;)
    So you think that people should be allowed to say no to homes offered to them, whilst the taxpayer pays their HAP bill?
    They list the refusals, but not percentages of the reasons.
    _Brian wrote: »
    I’d be concerned about what can be done fir rough sleepers, they are homeless.
    Part of the process to get a house, they have to show that they can come into the homeless hostels sober on a continuous basis. Not everyone can do this, as some drink to numb the daemons that they have.

the_syco wrote: »
    Not worth responding to frankly.

Charming! ;)

So you think that people should be allowed to say no to homes offered to them, whilst the taxpayer pays their HAP bill?

Of course ; why should they give up the right of some choice over something as vital as where they live? Why turn a disaster into something even worse?

Why continually re " the taxpayer"? Why take it so personally? Does not change how much tax you pay if someone cannot cope with a house for some valid reason.

Anyways that is the system. and councils are in charge thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭gifted

Have you ever worked a tax paying job in ireland Grace?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Of course ; why should they give up the right of some choice over something as vital as where they live? Why turn a disaster into something even worse?

Why continually re " the taxpayer"? Why take it so personally? Does not change how much tax you pay if someone cannot cope with a house for some valid reason.

Anyways that is the system. and councils are in charge thankfully.

Umm, because you can't house yourself without the taxpayer helping?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

people who expect and dont contribute will never see it any other way that free house is there right, system has gifted them

Ush1 wrote: »

Not the taxpayer; the state. OK? OK!

Stop taking it personally! :eek:

A complete non sequitur and not true as it s the state that houses not the taxpayer.

If you don't approve of the system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭gifted

A complete non sequitur and not true as it s the state that houses not the taxpayer.

And where does the state get its money from?

gifted wrote: »
    And where does the state get its money from?

The magic tree! Surely you knew that! Sure Sinn Fein have a forest of them.

We can't change the system no matter how much we don't approve of it! That's the problem.

Not the taxpayer; the state. OK? OK!

Stop taking it personally! :eek:

I'm not taking it personally, I'm a libertarian. Perhaps you're projecting?

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.:)

I'm not taking it personally, I'm a libertarian. Perhaps you're projecting?

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.:)

Some houses that the housing people offer, thinking that they’re the most suited to their clients, might not necessarily be what or where the clients want. Some in the housing office think that the elderly are more suited to being near hospitals, doctors, shops, etc. Not out in the sticks, miles from services.

Some houses that the housing people offer, thinking that they’re the most suited to their clients, might not necessarily be what or where the clients want. Some in the housing office think that the elderly are more suited to being near hospitals, doctors, shops, etc. Not out in the sticks, miles from services.

I'd like to live in a Georgian mansion in Ranelagh but I have to cut my cloth unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

First an update of the summary charts showing the trends for numbers of Adults and numbers of Familys (Adults and Children).
    They are updated with the numbers for the latest month:
    504046.png

The Latest Report
    The Homelessness Report January 2020 has been released:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_january_2020_1.pdf

I've updated the two charts based on the numbers in the report. I've also resized them so they don't get too wide.

Homelessness (Adults)
    504047.png

Family Homelessness
    504048.png

The numbers reported here are a total rise of 540 since last month. That's 5.2% of the total 10,271.

Number of Homeless
    I don't remember seeing reports of hospital numbers like this before. Temple Street Children’s University Hospital released them last month. The numbers in the charts in these posts did show an increase of around 800 children between 2017 and 2018.
    842 children who attended Temple Street’s ED in 2018 were discharged with no fixed home address: 29% increase on 2017 figure
    The experience of homelessness reduces the physical, emotional, cognitive, social and behavioral development of children.
    https://www.cuh.ie/2019/01/842-children-who-attended-temple-streets-ed-in-2018-were-discharged-with-no-fixed-home-address-29-increase-on-2017-figure/
    Dr IK Okafor, Lead Emergency Medicine Consultant said ‘National data from November 2018 reports that there are now 3,811 children in Ireland who are deemed homeless and we are seeing an ever increasing number of those children every month in our ED. In October to December 2018 alone we saw 260 of these children. Their presentations are varied and complex but in the majority they stem from the fact that these children are living in completely unsuitable, cramped and temporary accommodation

Media
    It looks like hotels are getting a lot of money in payments to provide emergency accommodation for the homeless
    Homelessness crisis: Dublin hotel received over €4m last year for emergency housing
    Nineteen hotels in city each got over €1m as spend on emergency housing rose by 19%
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/homelessness-crisis-dublin-hotel-received-over-4m-last-year-for-emergency-housing-1.4181148
    One hotel received payments of €4 million-€5 million, according to new figures provided by the Dublin Regional Homeless Executive, which confirmed the spend on providing temporary and emergency accommodation for the homeless increased 19 per cent to €170 million in 2019.

This headline says a man was found dead in the Phoenix Park but the article says that 4 deaths were reported in the space of eight days.
    'Overhaul' of system called for after homeless man found dead in Phoenix Park
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fourth-homeless-death-reported-in-last-eight-days-charity-call-for-urgent-supports-as-man-found-dead-in-phoenix-park-982771.html
    Inner City Helping Homeless (ICHH) said the man was registered with homeless services and called his death "tragic and avoidable".
    In a statement, ICHH said it was the fourth homeless death reported to the charity within the last eight days.
    The statement added: "We have consistently stated that there aren’t the proper wrap-around supports in place to support the mental health of people experiencing homelessness.

This is not the first report seen in these posts on the negative effect homelessness has on child development. Doing homework in a bathroom sounds like it will set the child back in school.
    Homelessness has negative effect on child development, says study
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0227/1117901-homeless-children/
    Dr Geraldine Casey, of the Department of Public Health HSE Mid West, headed the research team.
    She said that growing up in a hotel room is affecting children's physical and mental development.
    Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Dr Casey said that childhood trauma such as homelessness can have long-lasting effects and that many children are experiencing delayed developmental milestones such as walking.
    She said that efforts must be made to help reduce the possible effects on children.
    Dr Casey added that living in a hotel room makes it difficult for children to engage in education and described how one child was forced to do their homework in the bathroom because their siblings were sleeping in the hotel room.

Supply of homes
    The solution has always been "to increase the supply of homes". The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Good to see the numbers down on this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Massive house building going on, Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin, Lucan, a lots of north Wicklow, all around Drogheda to name but a few in the Dublin commuter belt.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/churchfields-churchfields-ashbourne-meath/4320367 New house for 330k and an easy enough commute.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/glen-boann-glen-boann-mornington-meath/4272501 new 3 bed for 262k by the sea.

The supply issue migh be in the processes of being solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

mariaalice wrote: »
    Massive house building going on, Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Dunshaughlin, Lucan, a lots of north Wicklow, all around Drogheda to name but a few in the Dublin commuter belt.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/churchfields-churchfields-ashbourne-meath/4320367 New house for 330k and an easy enough commute.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/glen-boann-glen-boann-mornington-meath/4272501 new 3 bed for 262k by the sea.

The supply issue migh be in the processes of being solved.

dont think look at the number on the housing list alone.. Not to mention if we do start building at the pace needed we will have to import more workers as the skill set and the numbers are not there to build in bulk and guess what they will need to live somewhere as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement