Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    Oh I like the look of that.

Just added it to my Amazon order a few minutes ago, couldn't resist!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Just purchased it on amazon also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

otnomart wrote: »
    Last Christmas book is out now
    https://www.quercusbooks.co.uk/titles/greg-wise/last-christmas/9781529404227/

I plan to get it next week

hbg-title-9781529404227-31.jpg?fit=450%2C638

Just got this on the kindle looking forward to reading it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My son (4) got this on Monday from an Australian aunt. It has been read every single night since. He absolutely loves it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wombat_Divine

Loughc wrote: »
    Just got this on the kindle looking forward to reading it :)

Mine arrived earlier in the week. Planning on starting it as soon as I finish the book l'm currently reading. So hopefully next week. As it doesnt seem the longest of reads was wondering should I leave it for 2 or 3 weeks though.... might feel more appropriate in December, though suspect I'll just go straight into it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A couple arrived for the little ones yesterday.

We're going on an Elf hunt and The Crayons' Christmas.

We always ensure Christmas includes plenty of books. Nothing gives a child a better head start in life than a love of reading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Srameen wrote: »
    We always ensure Christmas includes plenty of books. Nothing gives a child a better head start in life than a love of reading.
    Definitely! I always loved getting books.
    One of the best presents I ever got was a lovely copy of Anne of Green Gables. I loved it, and reread it several times throughout my childhood. :)
    DvB wrote: »
    Just added it to my Amazon order a few minutes ago, couldn't resist!
    Anyone get this yet? Just wondering if it's a hardback!

Definitely! I always loved getting books.
    One of the best presents I ever got was a lovely copy of Anne of Green Gables. I loved it, and reread it several times throughout my childhood. :)

Anyone get this yet? Just wondering if it's a hardback!

Yes, hardback.

Excellent, hardbacks make better presents. :)

That book is €18.99 in Easons, reduced down to €14.24- (online only, not in stock)- or it is £7.50 on amazon prime, and will be delivered on Monday. I like to buy from Irish companies, but that's a no brainer! Second last present ordered. :pac:

• Advertisement

That book is €18.99 in Easons, reduced down to €14.24- (online only, not in stock)- or it is £7.50 on amazon prime, and will be delivered on Monday. I like to buy from Irish companies, but that's a no brainer! Second last present ordered. :pac:

I'm the same, prefer to buy Irish where I can but when the costs are off the charts I cant justify paying the extra and the big bad multinational wins the day.

I noticed that myself. Unfortunately I end up buying 90% of my books on Amazon (about 20 per year) because I can't justify the higher prices here at all. I like buying locally, and will do for all other Christmas items, but not books.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I always raid Chapters every time I'm in Dublin. I even bring a backpack with wheels to help me carry my loot. :)

I'd have actually paid the extra if they had it in Easons in stock on the shelf, as I was there in the shop the other day, but it's only currently available as online delivery 2-5 days, so faster, as well as cheaper, to get it with amazon.

I love Chapters. Used to go there all the time when it was on Abbey Street, back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I gave my OH the Irish country womans Association Christmas book over the weekend so we can put some recipes to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Countrywomens-Association-Book-Christmas/dp/0717168182

I did it as a joke as she claims to be from a city however you can pet cows over her back wall.

Its a really lovely book with loads of great recipes and stories. I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It's such a lovely book! I love picking it up and reading some of the stories from the people in it. Managed to convince my boss that she needed a copy of it too!

Read the first 2 sections of that Last Christmas book yesterday morning, first one I found incredibly sad & nearly had me in tears. The second was far more jovial & reminded me of CHristmas' when I were a kid growing up in Dublin when our extended families all came together on Christmas Day. Really enjoyed the little I've read so far. Looking forward to reading more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

An old favourite of mine from childhood is 'The Dark is Rising', by Susan Cooper. It's part of an excellent series of fantasy novels but is entirely readable on its own. All set in the english countryside around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bought a lovely red Christmas designed covered 'A Christmas Carol, for my Dad. They wrapped it before I remembered to take a picture however looks like the below.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(Dickens,_1843)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

B0jangles wrote: »
    An old favourite of mine from childhood is 'The Dark is Rising', by Susan Cooper. It's part of an excellent series of fantasy novels but is entirely readable on its own. All set in the english countryside around Christmas.

Something similar to that I guess. "The Box of Delights"

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2017/nov/30/long-before-harry-potter-the-box-of-delights-remade-childrens-fantasy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/355618.The_Box_of_Delights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Glebee wrote: »

Ooh, I actually meant to read that after watching the old bbc series on youtube - thank you for the reminder!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I ordered Last Christmas yesterday from the Book Depository. Looking forward to it arriving.

I had better stay out of this thread from now on, or I will end up spending a fortune. :D A lot of lovely book suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Home for Christmas By Alice Taylor

9781847179654.jpg?width=270&height=360&mode=max

Synopsis

Join Alice Taylor this Christmas as she welcomes us into her home and shows us the traditions of her family's Christmas. Alice looks back over her past Christmases and prepares for this Christmas. With all the warmth of a winter fire, Alice takes us through the exciting preparation for Christmas from getting the perfect tree to baking those very crucial puddings and pies. Alice also give us a intimate insight into her Christmas Eve and Christmas day rituals and talks us through her favourite Christmas recipes. She tells how the Christmas foods were made when she was a child, using the bastable and the range, and how she prepares them now. Alice loves Christmas and her huge enjoyment of the season fills this book with pleasure and delight.

https://www.easons.com/home-for-christmas-alice-taylor-9781847179654?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk7TuBRDQARIsAMRrfUYzOorqRCGSBZSQaPtoZtl38ccxudvEScSFi62-pXB6BBPfsMi4mPUaAiYwEALw_wcB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

^^^ I love this Alice Taylor book. I think it would be great if it was also turned into an audio book with someone like Ruth Mc Cabe doing the narration.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Eleysian wrote: »
    ^^^ I love this Alice Taylor book. I think it would be great if it was also turned into an audio book with someone like Ruth Mc Cabe doing the narration.

I loved it too. Brought back alot of memories :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Got this at the week-end: "2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas" by Marie-Helene Bertino

Starts like this: "It is dark, dark seven A.M on Christmas Eve Eve.
    Snow flurries fall in the city. Actors walking home from a cast party on Broad Street try to catch them on their tongues. The ingenue lands a flake on her hot cheek and erupts into a fit of laughter
    "
    Am finishing another book at the moment, will get to this one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Every second Christmas I read 'the Christmas mystery' by jostein gaarder, with the kids. There is chapter for every day in December. I love it. It's so manic in December its lovely to make this special time every day. It's only 5 mins or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

There is also a beautifully illustrated book called ' the Christmas miracle of Jonathon Toomey' by susan wojciechowski. It's only short so more one you might borrow from a library maybe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

freida wrote: »
    There is also a beautifully illustrated book called ' the Christmas miracle of Jonathon Toomey' by susan wojciechowski. It's only short so more one you might borrow from a library maybe.
    Another one illustrated by P.J. Lynch. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I love that Alice Taylor book. She has a beautiful way with words.
    Last Christmas arrived today. :) Looking forward to reading it.

Advertisement