Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Casement and Dublin Airport now posting -6C. Was -3C earlier ~ 7am.

Wonder how long it will stay sub zero...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fell further to -6c in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    Fell further to -6c in Naas

I see where MT n his forecast has sleet/snow mix for the south later. looks good for the east and north. has there been a change in the models overnight? would have expected all rain down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I hit a low of -6.3c and still at -6c.

Also the thread for the storm from last week is closed but I received a report over the weekend that a private weather station based on Mount Leinster recorded a gust of 152kmh last Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I see where MT n his forecast has sleet/snow mix for the south later. looks good for the east and north. has there been a change in the models overnight? would have expected all rain down here.

Looks like rain/sleet for the south except on high ground. For the west/north, looks like snow turning to rain.

nmm_uk1-1-20-0_lzu4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

For the Limerick area it looks like sleaty rain maybe changing to snow in the higher locations in the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Interesting that Dublin Airport would drop 3 degrees in one hour when temps usually start to gradually warm up from 7am onwards.

You could definitely feel that extra cold sting on your cheeks and ears walking out and about in the city this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The back fields between the house and the South Kerry north mountains were white with frost. Washing on the line frosted but not frozen ( see how scientific my observations are ;)) Done my chores; dogs room cleaned, coal bucket filled etc etc, fed the cat, exercised the cats( feral chased indoor cat across the lane through the hedge and over the field..) Fed the birds, and am now settling to the work; knitting attractive preemie hats. The sky is heavy laden so anything might happen...even out the heating on for half an hour..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Coldest night of the winter so far for me suncroft Kildare -6.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Will this be an Event for Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

cold morning here in Tinahely -6 on my outside thermostat (Not sure its accurate) but its freezing!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

john why wrote: »

I very much doubt it. Not enough precipitation forecast to make it an 'event'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Hard to see where this precip is going to come from for snow on the east coast.
    335656.png

Looks like rain/sleet for the south except on high ground. For the west/north, looks like snow turning to rain.

Thanks Maq. Younever know might get a ninja snow event! unlikely but always a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Will it be an event for anyone other than the 3 or 4 counties that have seen any sort of reasonable event this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Was looking at short term models just now trying to make an argument why it could snow widely at low levels tonight instead of in northern (and northern central at that) areas as the models suggest. On current model predictions its a close run thing but everywhere south of, say, Mayo to Louth line, loses out on a few counts as we are the wrong side of uppers (-4's generally, need to be at least 2 degrees lower I'd say), thickness (534 generally, needs to be lower than 528 usually) and dew points (1 or 2 in most places, need to be 0 or less I'd have thought). Odds against so but lets see what the 6z charts say in a while. At the mo Wednesday looks a slightly better bet for most.

Having said all of that higher parts of the East and the inland northern areas are definitely looking good for some snow tonight as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hard to see where this precip is going to come from for snow on the east coast.
    335656.png

Precip is coming from the west coast whatever it falls as remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Waterford Weather reporting -2.6 at the moment

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com

Airport had -5 this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Was looking at short term models just now trying to make an argument why it could snow widely at low levels tonight instead of in northern (and northern central at that) areas as the models suggest. On current model predictions its a close run thing but everywhere south of, say, Mayo to Louth line, loses out on a few counts as we are the wrong side of uppers (-4's generally, need to be at least 2 degrees lower I'd say), thickness (534 generally, needs to be lower than 528 usually) and dew points (1 or 2 in most places, need to be 0 or less I'd have thought). Odds against so but lets see what the 6z charts say in a while. At the mo Wednesday looks a slightly better bet for most.

Having said all of that higher parts of the East and the inland northern areas are definitely looking good for some snow tonight as things stand.

The great thing about Dublin is that you can get to 300 metres above sea level within 5-10 minutes of the M50 if you head off up the Military Road, where there can be an abundance of snow, even if there is no snow at sea level which is only 10 minutes away. So if you really want to find it, it is on your doorstep at times like this I think.

• Advertisement

rarely works out at lower levels when coming from the west. unless it stall and/or heavy precipitation which doesn't seem likely from what i have read.
    MT's gave me a small cause for optimism and ME have rain/sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I very much doubt it. Not enough precipitation forecast to make it an 'event'.

Ok cheers. But still a chance of a dusting maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ok cheers. But still a chance of a dusting maybe

A small chance of some light, wet snow almost immediately turning to rain. Wouldn't really even be a dusting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A small chance of some light, wet snow almost immediately turning to rain. Wouldn't really even be a dusting.

Agreed...but hoping otherwise! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Extent of precipitation by late this evening and freezing level & thickness charts (6Z run). Inland northern areas seem the best bet for snow at lower levels currently I'd guess.

15-574UK_kds8.GIF

15-526UK_swr0.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Should be interesting, I fear I am too far west in Donegal for the snowfall, If memory serves right, Donegal town eastwards got snow from the Atlantic a few years back while I got rain. Going by them charts today it looks like the same could happen. Lucky you irish1967.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Extent of precipitation by late this evening and freezing level & thickness charts (6Z run). Inland northern areas seem the best bet for snow at lower levels currently I'd guess.

15-574UK_kds8.GIF

15-526UK_swr0.GIF

That all looks like a slight upgrade. You'd never know.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I think the driver of any snow wherever it falls will be the surface cold and if it persists near zero,I know that's obvious but dps won't rise too much if air temps don't
    850 temps of -4 don't matter if the air tem all the way to the ground is zero for most of it or all of it
    A southerly breeze will scupper this in most of Munster and south Leinster by the looks of things
    It might not initially in higher parts of S Dublin , the places I talked about yesterday because that southerly is traveling over the Wicklow mtns
    South east though, I'd forget about it

Had a low of -3c in Arklow, now up to 1c,a southerly here will take that up to 6+ very quickly
    Currently it's flat calm with a dp of -2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Pangea wrote: »
    Should be interesting, I fear I am too far west in Donegal for the snowfall, If memory serves right, Donegal town eastwards got snow from the Atlantic a few years back while I got rain. Going by them charts today it looks like the same could happen. Lucky you irish1967.

Latest BBC 24 graphics there presennted by Carol Kirkwood,based on Euro 4 makes this a high ground event only in Ulster and a snow to rain in connaught with some on the Wicklow mtns and the galtee's
    Probably a fair assessment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Dublin mountains yesterday...-2 degrees at 11.00 and snow snow falling....lots of ice especially....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement