Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

In general the only hope of seeing snow at sea level is in the heaviest of the showers, which will be in Ulster. In general there has been too much modification of lower levels to guarantee snow to sea level, as shown by the two charts below. Only some downdrafts will bring snow down from upper levels in the north.

Durface dewpoints are generally below zero, but will rise a degree or two during the day. By evening we will see the showery activity only along NW and N coasts.

950 hPa (at 450 m in north to 600 m in the south)
    Temp +2 to +3 °C, r.h. ~60%
    334350.gif

975 hPa (at 280 m in north to 410 m in the south)
    Temp ~ +3 °C, r.h. ~50-60%
    334351.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Snowing heavy but ain't sticking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Very wet sleet in Galway. Blue skies now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The air mass is not quite as cold as was progged up to yesterday evening (the south and southwest barely touching -5c 850hPa temps) but none the less you can see already how today pans out with frequent showers in the northwest and close to Atlantic coasts, more isolated further inland. For Connaught (away from immediate windward coasts), Ulster and North Leinster it looks like a fun day. The southwest, even inland, is much more marginal now for snow at low levels.

Temp 3.9, DP 0.9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The air mass is not quite as cold as was progged up to yesterday evening (the south and southwest barely touching -5c 850hPa temps) but none the less you can see already how today pans out with frequent showers in the northwest and close to Atlantic coasts, more isolated further inland. For Connaught (away from immediate windward coasts), Ulster and North Leinster it looks like a fun day. The southwest, even inland, is much more marginal now for snow at low levels.

Temp 3.9, DP 0.9

How is it looking for next week as that was always the better chance for down here anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Quick heavy snow shower just over in Donegal. Really big gusts accompanying the shower and visibility reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i have been informed it's snowing back home - which is at sea level. I wish I was there to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Just had a sleet shower here near Athenry. It's looking promising if temperatures drop any more!

i have been informed it's snowing back home - which is at sea level. I wish I was there to see it.

Better than the "fires of hell" I'd imagine alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wet snow in Galway, just annoying really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

The latest Euro4 only shows accumulations up North tonight, highest peaks as well of course.
    15011100_1006.gif

The TAFs just issued now generally downgrade the chance of snow showers today compared to the 5 am forecasts.

Rain showers almost everywhere at 1200, despite dewpoints at zero of below. Only Knock (200 m) and Glennane (161 m) have snow showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

FWVT wrote: »
    The TAFs just issued now generally downgrade the chance of snow showers today compared to the 5 am forecasts.
    .... Looks like Cork's snow shield has went nationwide - sorry folks!;)

Rain showers almost everywhere at 1200, despite dewpoints at zero of below. Only Knock (200 m) and Glennane (161 m) have snow showers.

Last shower at my location in donegal 1hr ago(40m asl) was of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DIF wrote: »
    .... Looks like Cork's snow shield has went nationwide - sorry folks!;)
    I think today was always a long shot down south. early next week a better chance of some snow hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very bullish forecast from Met Eireann today, not even mentioning wintry showers
    Cold and rather windy today with scattered rain or hail showers. Sunny spells also, however, the best of these in the midlands, south and east. Highest temperatures 5 to 8 degrees Celsius. Strong and gusty, west to northwest winds will reach gale force for a time in exposed parts of the north and northwes

Very strange considering the airmass, showers are going to turn increasingly to sleet and snow this afternoon despite the above forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Snow from the west is always a long shot.
    The air has to move fast to reduce maritime modification.

The wind is drying the clothes like no mans business her in dublin. So i am loving this weather :)

Went for a 1.5 hour walk and only got one decent snow shower but it was nice all the same.
    Galway West.

Just to add, the shower itself lasted about 5 minutes but it was the last minute that provided the lovely big heavy flakes of snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Well done to Met Eireann yet again. Their forecast is sensible and only mentions rain and hail for today. I was just on high ground in Sligo and had a shower of rain. .. at a height of 400 metres. There is to much hype being generated about snow and and next weeks storm potential. My 87 year old neighbour heard yesterday that a hurricane will hit ireland on Wednesday... He lives in an exposed coastal area in South Donegal and doesn't need the stress. I'm glad to see the usual sensible people in here are now saying that next week' s storm won't be anything extraordinary, if it materialises at all.

• Advertisement

Very bullish forecast from Met Eireann today, not even mentioning wintry showers

Very strange considering the airmass, showers are going to turn increasingly to sleet and snow this afternoon despite the above forecast.

How?

legomaniac wrote: »
    Well done to Met Eireann yet again. Their forecast is sensible and only mentions rain and hail for today. I was just on high ground in Sligo and had a shower of rain. .. at a height of 400 metres. There is to much hype being generated about snow and and next weeks storm potential. My 87 year old neighbour heard yesterday that a hurricane will hit ireland on Wednesday... He lives in an exposed coastal area in South Donegal and doesn't need the stress. I'm glad to see the usual sensible people in here are now saying that next week' s storm won't be anything extraordinary, if it materialises at all.

I find it very strange to think it was raining at 400 metres ASL? Was it just a very light shower, drizzle etc?

How?

Away from western coastal fringes where there will be heavily modified air, the airmass is cold enough for wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow today. That's why. Just looking at all the model guidance tells me it will be a wintry mix. Not even a mention of sleet or snow in the forecast seems strange to me considering what I have in front of me.

legomaniac wrote: »

The obviously don't include Donegal in their forecast then lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

How?
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    KNOCK AIRPORT(P) W 17 Gust 36 SNOW SHOWER 2

Away from western coastal fringes where there will be heavily modified air, the airmass is cold enough for wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow today. That's why. Just looking at all the model guidance tells me it will be a wintry mix. Not even a mention of sleet or snow in the forecast seems strange to me considering what I have in front of me.

And what I have in front of me and posted earlier says differently. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

hawkwing wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    KNOCK AIRPORT(P) W 17 Gust 36 SNOW SHOWER 2

Knock is at 200 m. I mentioned that earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The obviously don't include Donegal in their forecast then lol

Or Galway, Mayo, Cavan or Armagh where people have also reported snow in this thread this morning.

And what I have in front of me and posted earlier says differently. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

What have you got in front of you? Can you send me some useful links?

• Advertisement

I don't get your point, are you trying to say all the showers on the island of Ireland today are going to be of rain or hail?

I think we can all see that showers of snow have already fallen in places.

Anyway, nothing too interesting with just the chance of a dusting in places early in the night, so won't really affect anybody.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement